Author Topic: What Did You Think About the Daytona 500?  (Read 4324 times)

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What Did You Think About the Daytona 500?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
I was listening on the radio before the race to an interview with AJ Foyt, the greatest racer of all time. He said the one thing he does not like about racing today is the blocking. In his day he had to wreck a few who tried to block him. My view on the race, it is what it is. Not a fan of restictor plate racing.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 08:43:35 PM »
Stop already with the blocking is causing all this.  Blocking?  I'll  refer you to the 79' 500 which is the day that modern NASCAR racing was born.

The freaking Plates are why  Daytona and Talledaga become the wreck fests they too often do. The better cars like Hamilin and Logano just couldn't

break away from the field so you end up with the massive carnage that allows the mediocre grandson of a mediocre racer to win the "Great American

Disgrace".  I feel for the fools that plopped down real cash at that place to witness this freak show.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

jimmy consi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 10:55:03 PM »
Didn't watch it , don't even know who won... lost interest years ago. Matter of fact our local cable company spectrum didn't even have it on! The super bowl of stock car racing not even on TV anymore lol. Nascrap has lost its luster, the stands are less than 1/2 full...its a dying sport. Our local asphalt racing is dead also .......

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »
Someone clarify what the rule(s) are regarding what happened at the end.  I am under the impression if you took someone out for the lead and they wrecked you don't get their spot. 
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

94Reasons

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »
That might be a local rule where you are but no such rule exists in cup race.

smallguy

• Veteran
  • Last of the Time Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 09:39:10 AM »
As long as we have belly-aching about 'blocking', we'll have sub-par product...I have frequently said that the 'newer' generation of racers lack the respect for each other (as well as the understanding that it's a PRIVILEGE, not a 'right' or 'entitlement' to compete on the biggest stages in our sport) that would bring us more give and less take.

We've also become hyper-critical, as everybody's an Internet jockey after the race.  Chances are we could have had an amazing race, with wild wrecks (that hurt nobody), 3 wide racing, and an epic photo finish...and somebody would find something wrong with it...it's how we are now.  Sad.

Not the worst 500 I've seen by a long shot...not the greatest either.  It just WAS.

Geez, if these cars were so hard to drive with the rear ends slammed down at Daytona, how are they going to be on the worn-out pavement at Atlanta?

BTW, I WILL NITPICK THIS:  Nice slap in the face to Brendan Gaughan (sp) and Justin Marks NOT being shown in the starting lineup package w/ Charlize Theron (who was plainly reading from a teleprompter or memorized a script).  You mean to tell me that in the 10 or so days of Speedweek you couldn't get these guys into the package?  Shameful...as was Charlize talking about the 'top ten' before ROW 10 was revealed...that's a gaffe that should have been caught in post production editing; it made her and FOX sound ***** as heck and was easily avoidable.

To those who are pouring the economy sized hate on Austin Dillon...if you were in his shoes, how can you say, having nanoseconds to react, that you would have behaved differently behind the wheel?  Maybe we should be talking about the class Almirola showed in his post race interview, or the genuine emotion and comments from Bubba Wallace?  Funny how nobody's talking about Hamlin driving Wallace to the wall at the finish (heard something about Hamlin getting a RF flat, was that before or after he turned into Wallace?)...but again, same logic applies to that as does to Dillon as I stated above.

All this griping about crappy coverage, crappy moves, crappy racing...some of it is valid, yes, but for the most part, we look about as obnoxious as Internet pro wrestling fans.

There's always one in every group.  Complaining just to complain about somebody complaining. 

I like to think that instead of idly complaining, I at least provide some support to my arguments.  Until NASCAR fixes the primary problem of a sub-par product, this is what you're going to get/see...so, is anybody really excited to see the Atlanta race?
I'm making perfect sense, you're just having a hard time keeping up! ... Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
interesting posts about )what used to be the Greatest Race), But I have to agree Smallguy makes the most sence. I wonder where all the money for NASCAR is coming from? I reakky don.t run into anyone who bothers to watch it anymore. Too bad for racing,, its a great sport.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
The ending was not " Rubbing is Racing",  The ending was I'm going to dump the leader to win

or lets at least take the plates off and test.  ( I know, I know if we did that the cars would go too fast and there would be...wrecks) ::)  :P
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
Had a Daytona party with family and had a blast wanted the 10 car to win but through a couple to many blocks and lost will watch Atlanta this week .

Newest Images

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2020, SimplePortal