collapse collapse

RaceNY Radar

Author Topic: Bumpin' and Blocking Made Me a Fan Again...  (Read 2133 times)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Bumpin' and Blocking Made Me a Fan Again...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
C'mon Mike: Just because you can find many incidents from the past involving stock cars, you know the open wheel cars (INDY, F1, Sprint both wingless and winged, and the many modified/sportsman clases), are more likely to fly because if or and when the wheels touch, they instantly become a launching "ramp". 

I agree, and my comment goes back to the late 1950s.....My father and our next door neighbor got talking about "stock car races", one evening, and unfortunately it was past my bedtime. I was 6 or 7 at the time ('58-'59), and they didn't want to wake me and get me dressed, as time wouldn't permit, and on the spur of the moment, they headed out to the Monroe County Fairgrounds, to watch the races. The next morning, my father mentioned that someone "caught a wheel", went over the fence, and landed in the parking lot.....it happens, and has been happening for decades.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »
Well..I don't want to get into a tennis match here. For sure open wheel cars are more likely to take flight ( in theory) and in light cars like sprints it happens all the time. Most of us with whiskers remember well Spencer 1970 when Gary Cornellus flew off 3 into the pits. An aberration in asphalt  Mods and should be in 3400 # stock cars but happens in NASCAR far too often. Again..Indy guys don't block like Cup guys and pedal when they need to because the cars are not set up for that.  NASCAR will never admit this but they are selling the "big one".....tell me they're not. 
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 02:02:31 PM »
I did not watch the race.  But maybe some retractable, radiator level, back bumper mounted, spikes and a pair of retractable jousting devices on the front might discourage the bumping and blocking. Just a thought.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
One flyer that I have in mind. How many remember Mario's last ride at speed in an Indycar when he ran over something on the track. That was a real flyer and he he got away with it without a scratch.

Newest Images

test embed 33

Views: 0
Posted by: Admin
in: Test Media
test image 2

Views: 72
Posted by: Big Dan
in: My First Album
Torpedo Tom

Views: 167
Posted by: Admin