Author Topic: Penn Can  (Read 7608 times)

jgtc33

• View Profile
Penn Can
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Does anyone know what happened Friday night at Penn Can? Heard their was a fight with people taken to hospital.

dirtfan07

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Penn Can
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »
From the eye witness account of my crew, I don't think the word "fight" is accurate. A large group went into the pit of a competitor and the result was at least one guy with some nasty lacerations to his head. He was transported by ambulance and the cops were still there when we left.
Simpson Racing.... We put the F-U in fun

jgtc33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »

UPDATE ON BOBBY GUNTHER'S DAD...       

Author: Ernie Saxton   Date: 8/27/2012 11:41:01 AM  +26/-2   Show Orig. Msg (this window) Or  In New Window 

His father is being looked at today by doctors who specialize in eye injuries. He has suffered some injuries around his eye and there has been consistent bleeding. He also has broken bones in his face. I have seen photos and it is tragic to see what was done.

Bobby, who also suffered some injuries as did some team members, is very concerned about his 80 year old father and his recovery.

It is a shame that something like this has happened. There was absolutely no reason for it.

We can only remember this nice old man in our prayers. He did not deserve this.

jgtc33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »
I wonder if they are going to let the team that started the problems to race their again? Being they are the modified point leader nothing probably will be done.

mikeman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
What happened is totally disgusting.

techman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
The track is in it pretty deep according to other media outlets. Lawyers are now involved and things are going to get messy.

smallguy

• Veteran
  • Last of the Time Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
Doesn't matter who started it or why...the fact that someone was injured that seriously in a brawl in the pits is simply unforgivable on ALL accounts.
This is EXACTLY the kind of crap tabloid TV shows eat for breakfast...can't wait to see this on 'Inside Edition' or some crap show like that on TruTV...
Is THAT the kind of attention we want for our sport?
Thoughts and prayers to the injured family.
Moral to this story:  The next time you get your delicates in a twist over something at the track and you think you can solve it by being Mr. Macho and using your fists, get your head out of your azz and consider what the consequences might be.
I'm making perfect sense, you're just having a hard time keeping up! ... Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

jgtc33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
On Monday evening, Penn Can Speedway management announced that as a result of an ugly pit confrontation the race team owned by Garth Tonkin Jr and driven by Brett Tonkin would be barred from further competition at Penn Can Speedway indefinitely. Car owner Garth Tonkin Jr. and father Garth Tonkin Sr. were the two main principles in the altercation when they entered the pit area of the team of Bobby Gunther Walsh. They have been suspended indefinitely for actions detrimental to Penn Can Speedway. Carbondale, Pa.'s Brett Tonkin, driver of the No. 176 modified, has been suspended for the next two points-paying events on Friday nights Aug. 31 and Sept. 7. While Tonkin was not part of the altercation, Penn Can rules state that a driver and owner are responsible for the actions of their crew. The speedway is working through all the details of this incident. Further penalties could be levied pending further investigation. Walsh's father, Joe Walsh Sr., was hospitalized and remained in the care of medical personnel on Monday. Speedway officials and the entire staff wish Walsh a speedy and full recovery from this unfortunate incident.

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Tonkins sound like a bunch of thugs... Real nice group...
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

techman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 10:37:04 AM »
I hope other tracks follow suit and bar the Tonkins as well. I know if I were an owner I would not want loose cannons like the Tonkins in my pit area.

coop24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
KUDOS to Penncan and the officals too bad more tracks didn't do this, 2nd place team in Mod Pts but that doesn't matter what is right is right I do not know anyone involved here just seems nice to read something positive about no favoritism at racetracks for once!!!

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »
Once ALL the THUGS are arrested and prosecuted at all racetracks and are barred from ALL tracks within a 200 mile radius or further, this kind of crap will continue. Maybe 6 months in jail and and a "hurtin" Fine will send a message to the next group of Dildo's who try this. I hope the family doesn't sue the track, but do go after the men(?) who did this.
Kareem of Wheet

dirtfan07

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »
I don't know why lawyers would go after the track, they aren't responsible. Now, maybe Mr. Walsh being the proud new owner of a towing company, that's more likely. Here's what I don't get: (I was there but didn't see either the on track incident or the actual fight) From what I was told by several people was that Gunther Walsh spun out on his own and the Tonkin car was collected in the wreck. This was early in the race and the Tonkin car was able to continue. So, if your the crew of Tonkin, (who was point leader), what would make you think going into another pit to start a fight was a good idea knowing your going to get your driver thrown out for 2 weeks? Brett had plenty of time to get a decent finish and even after being in several other jingles on the track, he still finished 11th I think. On top of that, since Gunther Walsh spun in front of Tonkin, how could he have done it on purpose? Seems like the pressure got to the Tonkin crew and in a few moments of irrational thoughts and actions, they cost their driver his first ever mod championship.
Simpson Racing.... We put the F-U in fun

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
The pressure that some of these drivers and car owners are under because a win is worth $50,000 and a track Championship is worth a cool $1,000,000 makes them do stuff like this.
Kareem of Wheet

Grindn300

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
Bretts a good guy. Always smiles. Kids are always getting pictures with him & he seems to welcome it. Its unfortunate about what happened & i understand being guilty by association. I believe the penalty is fair... kudos to the Can.

Best wishes to the Walshs. Never want to see anything like that happen.