Author Topic: John Unamann Drag Car  (Read 6569 times)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
John Unamann Drag Car
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »
Found one of John's car.  Pictures tomorrow. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: John Unamann Drag Car
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
Can't see the pics and would love to see them.

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
 8) Tomorrow.

GP is a teaser.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
Drag Car.  Very curious about this car.  Everyone knows John and Johnnie build huge horsepower.  B&M Speed Shop?  Raceny wants the story!
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Yoda

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:27:46 PM »
I have seen that car long after it was on the track. John raced that back in the day, B+M was just down the street from BAP racing engines and for years did some work for John.  I am pretty sure it was a BB. Can't wait for John to chime in.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:48 AM »
I remember when John was campaigning a '69 Camaro......

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Hey Goggles, now your digging up history, I first raced that car in 1971, it had some high tech pieces for the day, I made an fitted a complete 2x3 frame for that car, I then had Howard Conky ( show car engineering ) make up a roll cage that was a lot for that time period, today they wouldn't let the car compete without a lot more tubing, The engine was a 427Ci with a set of raised port cylinder heads that I designed myself, no one had any thing in that time period that I was aware of, the exhaust was raised 1/2 inch and the exhaust angle was changed by removing 1/2 in off the top of the runner, so it had a straight shot over the frame rail, I forget how many degrees it was changed BUT I still have the heads so I could measure, last I had designed the first mechanical fuel injection system that was a 4 port Hilborn bug catcher type that was mated to a tunnel ram manifold, nothing like that existed at the time, it was just a goofy idea I had, that fuel injection with a plenum would mix the fuel better and make more power, after making the system I had guru "Jim Kinsler" of Michigan flow the system for me and wow it worked well, now it's on most pulling trucks that you see on TV, that engine made 720hp which was very close to 1.69 hp per cube, pretty decent power for the time, The car today looks like the photo, it was never outside in weather so the car is pristine, the last owner is John Lennon of Richmond Marine near Honeoye lake, the car made a best run at Spencer Speedway of 4.80 time on the same track length of today, that was when we only had one clock time so being the highest class car I had to spot everyone, meaning if I spotted you, you would start the clock ticking and if I won I would stop the clock , now they have a independent clock for each lane so the time of 4.80 should be in the 4.70's if we had separate clocks at the time. I had run the 1/4 mile many time and the car ran it's best of 9.91 BUT it ran 143 mph, I never knew how to make it launch, but I made plenty of power to cover up my poor driving skills and I had many victory's. I also had the 69 Camaro that Leadfoot4 saw but I don't have any pics near me, I also got hurt pretty bad at Spencer when I had a transmission explosion in 1969, I had a 1956 T-Bird with a big block 438Ci Chevy with  fuel injection and I had a trick transmission called a clutch flight, well they didn't last very long in 6 months they were extinct, That is how the rear engine dragster came about with Don Garlits, he had a very similar explosion that removed about a third of his foot, and Glenn Lazzar had one blow up that came up between his legs about a month after mine, he was very lucky that he didn't get maimed. Forgot to mention B&M Speed Shop , they did the machine work for me but I designed the engines and assembled them.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
great infomation, thankyou to all that responded! I think talking about recing and the old cars is very interesting... i sure hope threads like this continue ..  thanks again to everyone.  PS/Howard Conkey was a very special guy,, he gave me a ride in his T-bucket show car many years ago.....

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »
I am the one who took the pictures. The car is located on west lake Rd in Richmond. It is parked right by a block building next to Trident Marine. I wonder how hard it would be to turn that back into a road worthy Hot Rod. The car is bad ***** cool!

JackSpratNoFat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
I remember the 69 Camaro very well. That was a beast also. I believe you went to the 70-1/2 Camaro for a better motor placement as it sat further back in the chassis? The number 1 spark plug sat behind the front spindle centerline in the 70-1/2 if I am correct?
But I loved the looks of the 69.
That fuel injection setup you made really worked well and surprised many competitors. I remember you eating up Marshall Law quite a few times John. And you spotted him most of the track. There weren't many that could beat you when you were on target, no matter the class you had to run against. You were way ahead of your time. You still come up with things, thoughts and designs that surprise the hell out of me.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
I remember you eating up Marshall Law quite a few times John. And you spotted him most of the track.

For those who don't remember, 'Marshall Law' was a 64-65 Ford Falcon convertible. If I remember correctly, "Marshall" had a small block Ford, with Gurney-Westlake heads, and I think, fuel injection. I was owned/driven by the late Joe Malone, who I had the pleasure of meeting, later on in the 80s, when he rebuilt a couple of automatic transmissions for me.....RIP Joe.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
I have plenty of pics of many Western New York old-school drag racing machines in my Empire Dragway history Facebook group (if anyone cares to look-- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1429239183814547&type=3  Anyone who has pics of any car which raced at Empire in its early days is welcome to send them to me:  raceannouncer@gmail.com;  that includes YOUR car, John!!!

In the early origins of THIS site, admin and I had a discussion about creating a separate section that would be centered on drag racing in NY.  It was/is obvious that the primary focus of this group is overwhelmingly oval track racing, so it never came to fruition...But if there's enough interest, I'd be willing to revisit the idea of the creating one to discuss straight-line stuff.  We have many successful drag racing competitors racing locally, regionally and nationally!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:14:25 PM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

JackSpratNoFat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »

JackSpratNoFat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »

Anyone remember "The Orange Crate" '55 Chevy with a tilt front end that ran at Spencer, owned by a Tony Ruggeri, I think? I believe Tony had a gas station on East Main St. in the city. That's way, way back in the day. Around 1961-62 maybe.
I would like to find a pic of that car.
How about Wicked John and his ...heater Chevelle at Spencer? Lol.
Or Cusamano's C/MP blue '67? Chevelle with duals and tunnel ram at Spencer?
And who was the guy that ran N/SA at Spencer in a large '65-66? Chevy Biscayne or BelAir that seems to have never lost a race in his class, a white colored car. He must have had a 4000 or better rpm torque converter in that thing.
How about PeeWee Herman?

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 04:57:22 AM »

And who was the guy that ran N/SA at Spencer in a large '65-66? Chevy Biscayne or BelAir that seems to have never lost a race in his class, a white colored car. He must have had a 4000 or better rpm torque converter in that thing.

Is it THIS one???

How about PeeWee Herman?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."