Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1828076 times)

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #2655 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:07 AM »
Jay -

Do you know what year that Pete Corey picture was taken? Reason I ask is that Perth had 2 speedways. One was known as Perth, and the other was known as West Perth. Neither track ran at the same time as the other. The original Perth opened in the late '40s as a dirt track, but then closed for a restructuring process. While that track was closed, the other opened. It too suffered financial woes and closed after a year or 2 of operation. Meanwhile, the original track was paved and reopened for 2 or 3 years before closing for good.

The original Perth is now in the back yard of a mobile home. The West Perth track was in the middle of town, in a farmers field.
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 09, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
Jay -

Do you know what year that Pete Corey picture was taken? Reason I ask is that Perth had 2 speedways. One was known as Perth, and the other was known as West Perth. Neither track ran at the same time as the other. The original Perth opened in the late '40s as a dirt track, but then closed for a restructuring process. While that track was closed, the other opened. It too suffered financial woes and closed after a year or 2 of operation. Meanwhile, the original track was paved and reopened for 2 or 3 years before closing for good.

The original Perth is now in the back yard of a mobile home. The West Perth track was in the middle of town, in a farmers field.
Bob,
I'm not 100% sure.  There was no date accompanying that photo.  My best guess would be 1949 or '50.  Those are the years when roadsters were the headliners at the original Perth track...if this is the original Perth track.  By 1951 the roadsters were replaced by stock cars at just about all the tracks in the area.

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 09, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
I tend to agree. I have a folder set aside for every track that ran in the state, and I borrow pictures for the harder to find stuff. Your Hemlock pictures qualify. :)
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #2658 on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
The roadsters also ran at Seneca Falls the second year that track was in existence. Very cool stuff Jay!

Moravia Republican Register   5-12-49

Seneca Falls Speedway Opens Sunday

The roar of the Roaring Roadsters will open the racing season at the Seneca Falls Speedway Sunday, May 15. A full field of drivers is expected to appear at the first roadster race to be held in this section of the state.
   This form of racing has been the rage in the Central and far West for several years and is rapidly becoming very popular in the East.
   The drivers racing at Seneca Falls opened their racing season at Hemlock where several close finishes and crack ups gave the fans an afternoon full of action and thrills.
   Among the drivers will be Jerry Earl of Fairport, winner of the opening feature; Ira Morrison of Rochester: Larry Divito of Rochester with a newly designed racer; Harold Wright of Rochester; Ken Meahl of Lockport; Bobby Sund of Buffalo; Billy Wolf, Johnny Church, Frank Marks, Harvey Rousseau, Ernie Yorton, H.L. Brown, Dick Ford, Bill Chick, Al Stevens, who laughs at fences and of course Danny Danniels of LeRoy.
   These drivers along with newer entries always put on a good show and the fans may be assured of an afternoons entertainment that makes racing the fastest sport on earth.

Geneva Daily Times   5-16-49

Daniels Takes Speedway Prize

Seneca Falls-   Danny Daniels of LeRoy won the feature race of the "Roaring Roadster"  events yesterday at the Seneca Falls Speedway.
   Daniels time for the 20-lap race on the half mile track was 8 minutes, 32 seconds.
   In earlier races Daniels also came in first in the second and fifth events. Another racing program, sponsored by the Rochester Racing club will be held Sunday afternoon, May 29.
   The finish order of the feature race was: Daniels, Irv Morrison, Rochester; Hirvey Rosseau, Fairport; Bobby Sund, Buffalo; Al Stephens, Rochester; Jerry Ear, Fairport; Ernie Yorton, Macedon; Bobby Sund, Buffalo; Kenny Meahl, Lockport

BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

spooker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:58 PM »
Hey Dale, again sorry for the delay, but here's a pic of the first Pete Hulbert Gremlin, from 1971, Fred Smith photo:

Brian

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 13, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that was definately the earliest Gremlin bodied car in the Central-Southern Tier area if not the entire northeast.

railbird steve

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
WOW! what a cool looking mod !
grant miller

spooker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 14, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Yeah, stock Gremlin tin on a Scout frame, pretty neat!  Love the blue headers!  Working on the car in my avatar right now, hope to do this one, too.

Brian

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #2663 on: December 17, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
I received this from Ford Easton in Florida...Thought you all might get a kick out of it.....

Good Friday evening to all around our nation and Canada,  Peter Hurtubise and I communicate quite often via phone and e-mail.  Recently Peter sent me copies of many of the family photos of the Indy car racing days that involved both Peter and his more famous brother Jim.  I am sure 99% of you recognize the name Jim Hurtubise.  These photos I will be sharing with you show the car building for the Indy ventures that Peter and Jim campaigned in the 60's.  I will be sharing these with you in chapters from time to time.  The first chapter overviews the venture that put Jim in the middle of the front row at Indy in 1963 with the roadster car and Novi engine.  The second chapter will feature photos on getting to that point in a venue in Niagara County WNY. 
                                                              Ford
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #2664 on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
First photo is Andy Granatelli(Mr. STP) doing dyno. test runs on the Novi engine.  The 56 # was synonymous with Jim's racing cars be it at Cuba Lake Raceway in a 37 Ford flatback or at Indy.   
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #2665 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Round two of Ford's E-mail......Hi to all again on this Sat. morning, Many of you have e-mailed me back requesting "more" and "now" on the Hurtubise story.  I am sure most of you are expecting an ultra modern multi million dollar shop where the Hurtubise Indy car was built at.  Well the pictures below show what the shop was in reality.  The pony in the photo is Karen's, Jim's daughter.  You can see Jim laughing in first photo as the pony had decided to spread some fodder.  Location of their shop was in a barn in Niagara County New York.  By the way Karen went on to become a champion horse rider in Indiana in later years.
      Point being it didn't take a multi million dollar shop to generate a top competitive car to be on the front row at Indy.  I took people like Jim and Peter with the innovation and insight to make it happen.  Next to last photo is a good one of Peter on left and Jim on the right.
                                                                                             Ford

BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #2666 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »
Last batch...Thanks to Ford Easton and Peter Hurtubise for sharing!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

argonrcn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 17, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »
Anybody know anything about this picture? It was part of George Barr's collection.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: December 24, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »
Boy that guy that got run over is practically in the passengers seat! That pic reminds me of this one with Herbie Green and maybe Tom Gush from Chemung Speedrome. . Pic by L.O. Duncan.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: December 24, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
Anybody know anything about this picture? It was part of George Barr's collection.
Shot in the dark: Morris?  George Barr was Shangri-la's photog back in the day.  The only track in the area I can think of that would have old wooden buildings like that close to the track would be Morris.  At least from the pics I've seen anyway. No idea who the drivers are.