Author Topic: What did you think of the NASCAR race Sunday ?  (Read 1817 times)

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What did you think of the NASCAR race Sunday ?
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Boy I would love to keep this positive but I found the excitement level on par with the Golf match on the other channel. I don’t know about you but there are just to many laps. My suggestion would to run Heat races and run half as many laps for the feature. Don’t beat me up to bad. I think it was apparent that there were empty seats before the pandemic. The first and last 35 laps are the only thing that holds my attention.

fastbackss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What did you think of the NASCAR race Sunday ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:14:31 PM »
At least we'll have less laps tomorrow. 

Not to mention we'll have the "inverted" top 20.

I was still happy to see racing - I wasn't "as" bored because of the differences in tv coverage. Kept me occupied...

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:46 AM »
At least there weren't any big wrecks, which helped the race get over as soon as possible, which brings me to my biggest annoyance of NASCAR, lately. And that is the 3-4 PM, EST race start. That means that the races aren't over until 7-8 PM. Yes, I realize that I'm retired now, and it shouldn't make a difference, but old habits die hard, and when I was working, during the final 15 years, or so, I had to be at work at 6 AM. That meant rising at 4:15, which meant being in bed by 9. I didn't need to be watching a race until 8, or so, then taking a quick shower and diving right into bed.

I understand what NASCAR is doing, by the "late" starting hour, they're trying to capture more of the west coast audience. It was even mentioned in today's Rochester newspaper. But I feel that it's a slap in the face, for the east coast fans, who were, and probably still are, the bigger share of the sport's supporters. And from what I gather, more east coasters are not liking the late starts, and therefore are not tuning in, compared to the west coasters than they're gaining.

And yes, the races have gotten too long. I think 300 miles should be the max.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
If you have access, and like dirt late model racing, live races are being shown on Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model Facebook page.  They are on again tonight and several week nights going forward.  Racing started at 730-8 and was over around 10.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:11:22 AM »
While still here in the hospital, I have needed meds to put me to sleep--not last night, though!  I was asleep before the first stage ended! 600 miles race distance is way too long IMHO...but it likely won't change because it's a long-standing tradition!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 07:41:33 AM »
While still here in the hospital, I have needed meds to put me to sleep--not last night, though!  I was asleep before the first stage ended! 600 miles race distance is way too long IMHO...but it likely won't change because it's a long-standing tradition!

I know what you mean, Mike.... I watched the first 60-70 laps, and literally fell asleep, waking up when there were about 20 laps to go.

Get well soon!!

heavychevy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
nascrap is as bad as F1.