Author Topic: It doesn't happen very often but...  (Read 3439 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
It doesn't happen very often but...
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:47:13 PM »
This weekend, I attended the Race Of Champions race weekend; Today (Sunday 9/27) I had two of the raceny family come up and introduce themselves to me:  "ModSquad" and "Crushem".  It's pretty cool to shake hands with people you have never been able to put a face to a member's username, to talk some racing!  Guys, I'm very gratified that we met in a "normal" racing event to be able to do that! 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:33:04 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

countrydave

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: It doesn't happen very often but...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
Those guys are cool & also won the pool...LES great Facility

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »
AND, it was also satisfying to meet up again with my former employer, Tim Bennett, and catch up on his life following racing...and, of course, other racing stuff!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:48:08 PM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »
Being part of a crew that has won that event for 6 straight years is also something that doesn't happen very often. And..it doesn't get old.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
Being part of a crew that has won that event for 6 straight years is also something that doesn't happen very often. And..it doesn't get old.

From the stands, it looks like that jack gets a little bit heavier each year!!  Congrats to you and the entire team that overcame significant adversity to win once again.

2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 08:57:30 PM »

From the stands, it looks like that jack gets a little bit heavier each year!!  Congrats to you and the entire team that overcame significant adversity to win once again.

Was that observation made before they turned the lights on?  LOL ( which took them too long to do). That was a Cup style 2 pump Brunnholzl which handles different that our usual one. Yes I'm getting older but not at the races.

countrydave

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
Matt "Ol 8 time" great race, I wish 7ny would of stayed out with 40 to go, would of been interesting to see if' Matt & Emo could of passed him

Crushem

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 02:53:53 PM »
just want to say it was a pleasure meeting and talking to you Mike Paz about racing and life in general, looking forward to the next time

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
I just want to say that i am not going to bitch about a few things that were lacking at this years ROC weekend.There were a few issues as always like turn the damn lights on and sell programs and don..t run out of ROC t-shirts.I have to say that Matt can drive the wheels off as i watched him come through the entire pack twice but what the hell was Tommy Baldwin and McKennedy thinking when they decided to pit out of the lead with 40 laps to go?The caution laps were counting until 225 so he would have to race for 15 laps.I am in no way taking away from Matt,s talent but this one was a gift from Baldwin and Mc Kennedy.JMO by the way but what a great weekend to be back at the races after not attending all year long.I met a few new people including Dave Silvernail and Glenn Lawrence but no other raceNYERS.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »
Consider Matt has a zillion laps there and has won near 10 times on that track. First time for Baldwin/ McKennedy there.  BIG DIFFERANCE.  A very competitive field also made it tough.
When we go to Stafford in Oct maybe we'll be the chaser.  Laps on a track are so valuable.

staggerlee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 09:44:07 AM »
It was a great weekend was there Thursday - Monday. Good racing all weekend, live music in the parking lot on Fri. and Sat. and great weather. My only 2 complaints were put the lights when dusk starting setting in or  before that, and the 2 guys in the flag stand might have been better off sitting in the grandstands, because they were doing a terrible job flagging.

Rman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »
What a weekend for racing we spent Friday - Monday and enjoyed every minute of it. I do agree on the programs and lights though, that should have been done better. We were so looking forward to that weekend for a long time. I've never really been disappointed in a ROC race and sure was not this past weekend. For me watching what Matt did was amazing with a bent up race car, same for Emerling who's car was wrecked worse than Matt's!! Good company, good weather, good food, good racing surely made for a very enjoyable weekend at Lake Erie Speedway!!!! Nice job everyone!

Paul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »
It was a really good weekend of racing!  It wasn't perfect (lights, flagging) but local short track racing can't be.  That's part of the appeal, I think.  The car counts were great, the track is first class...can't wait until next year.

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, the Race of Champions is undergoing a renaissance - returning to the pinnacle of modified racing racing that it used to be.  Wouldn't that be something!
2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 11:28:01 PM »
a renaissance ??

A there was one outside invader there and the 07 and the Cats are not chasing NASCAR points in  this crazy year so I don't think renaissance is underway. There were 30 cars and not all were full blown Mods. But..it was a great weekend and the car counts in the lessor divisions reflects the itch many had to get some racing in before the flakes fly. Until C-19 is in the rear view mirror I'd not want to wager a guess on the future. If the wrong person/party takes power in Nov racing as we know it may no longer exist.