Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1822765 times)

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #1455 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
McCrearys on the front, Hoosiers on the back.  No tire deal money then.  No listed sponsors either.
John Flock

comy14

• View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
The car hasn't been lettered because it came straight from Troyer's shop to the race track.
As far as the tires go back in those days you could pick from all sorts of compounds and  different tire companies, McCreary, hoosier and goodyear which was still in the mix in those days.
Here is a pic of the car the next week all lettered.

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »
Welcome aboard Comy and thanks for the great photos!
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1458 on: April 02, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »
Hear Hear...welcome comy14...AJ was (is) one of my favorites!!!! Keep 'em coming!
A couple of shots of Southern Tier guys @ Oswgo...
Geoff Bodine 1972 (B&D photo)
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1459 on: April 02, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
Bryan Osgood 1972 (William Dudley)
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Gushfan55

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
The year was 1964 and that is Herbie Green in the 88.That is not Tom Gush in the 55.

Sorry but that was Tom Gush.....

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
Here's an L.O. Duncan photo from Chemung around 1971.  Darrell Welty in the 57 plymouth loses his wheel and spins causing #40 Grant Frisbee to spin. Not sure who that is getting away!  DALE

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 06, 2011, 04:12:23 AM »
In reference to the Alan Johnson car at Canandaigua, not only is that the 1st Mudd Buss, but it also is the first race for that car. For those of us that were there, you remember being blown away when you saw that car come out for hot laps. The car was so advanced in appearance that it was like comparing the USS Enterprise against the Spirit of St. Louis. And when the night was over, you knew you had just witnessed history in the making. That car was so strong on it's maiden voyage, that it obliterated the field... made a complete mockery of seasoned vets. Alan lapped almost the entire field, and with that came the end of building backyard cars. The following day at Rolling Wheels, all the pit chatter was about nothing but this new car of Alans. There were numerous complaints about the roof design. Not many liked how wide it was. Almost as many griped about how flat it was. Others didn't like the pitch. And everyone complained about the air dam. If you look at the car again after it's lettered, you'll notice that the roof is flat, less pitched, and minus the air dam. An even closer look will show that the roof was moved back almost a foot to where the front edge of the roof now sat almost even with the front pillars of the rollcage.

Just a little bit of trivia for those of you who play that game... the car in that picture was Mudd Buss #1. Alan got his 2nd Troyer for the beginning of the 1982 season. That car was Mudd Buss #41.

comy14... Thank you for posting that picture. I've been looking for it to show up for several years to add to my collection of almost 70 different Alan Johnson cars. You made my day.  :)
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:26 AM »
Adding to Bob's comments about the first Mudd Buss. On the first night at Canandaguia, Alan lapped the entire field with the exception of the second place car, Will Cagle. That was a 35 lap race.....This happened to be during the short time that I worked at Troyer Racecars. I can remember going out to a small bar afterwords for "a few". I believe it was called the Log Cabin. Ofcourse we ended up partying like rock stars. The car had run a little hot the first night and there was much work to be done. Ended up being an all nighter after closing the bar and then going back to Tico Conley's house to install a bigger radiator. Mike Hillman Sr. was the crew chief. We showed up at the "Wheels" the next day too late for practice. I can't remember if it was a heat race or the consi where we got wrecked on the first lap. Being a brand new car there were no spare parts. The welder cobbed a bunch of parts together for the car, borrowed a bunch of stuff,  Alan took a provisional and started at the rear. Without a lap of practice, he won that race too.

On the technical side.......Gary Balough had shown up at Syracuse the fall before with the "Batmobile". Over the winter, DIRT answered with a bunch of new rules putting limits on, among other things, all the body dimensions. The first Mudd Buss  was built to the letter of the rules. In hindsight, I am surprised there weren't more cars built like it. As far as being the end of the "backyard" cars, that had already occured. Howard Conkey of Show Car fame and Dick Tobias were already doing a great business at that time......It was Kenny Weld and Gary Balough who first brought aerodynamics into play at Syracuse the year before............kt
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
That's some great history right there, kt...thanks!

comy14

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 06, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
Half Fast Bob and kt, I was a 14 year old kid back in 81, helped on Alan,s race cars only at the tracks until I graduated high school and then I was able to help Alan more at the shop and through the 80,s and it was a good time during that span, so ya I was at both canandaigua and rolling wheels for those shows and you,re right about the heating problem, Mike Hillman and crew took the radiator out of the old car and installed it in the new troyer for the wheels show and as you can see in the pic here the rad was pretty tall for the car so the nose piece would not fit.

It was fun to watch Alan drive through the field that day.

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »
comy14 - refresh my memory. Where did AJ finish at the Wheels? I was there for the event and I remember the heat race jingle, but I don't remember the feature finish position. And there's a blast from the past... Mike "Goat" Hillman. Didn't Hillman work with Mike McLaughlin a bit with his Busch success in the Gould Pumps car?? Oh yeah, for tires back in those days, don't forget Will Cagle's favorite - the M&H Racemasters.

kt - The Kenny Weld Gremlins are still my absolute favorite of all the "store bought" cars. I always thought they were as much pieces of artwork as they were racecars. And you're right about Weld and Balough with Syracuse. Speaking for myself, I was naive in thinking that the Batmobile technology wasn't going to carry over into the Saturday Night cars as quick as it did.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:18:54 PM by Half Fast Bob »
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

comy14

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 06, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »
Half Fast, Alan past Jack Johnson for the lead on lap 49 and won the race with Davey Moore 2nd and Jack Johnson 3rd. Had to look up the lap Al took the lead on as I can't remember everything as that was a while ago.

As far as Mike goes he was crew chief foa Al in 83 and after that he want to nascar and lost track of what he was doing.

The weld cars were a great car in there day, a little tidbit that I found out a while ago is that the troyer car in 81 was a copy of the weld cars of the late 70,s with up to date technology. 

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
Half fast Bob,
 " The Kenny Weld Gremlins are still my absolute favorite of all the "store bought" cars. "

My favorites were the Grant King Gremlins, although the Weld cars were a close second.  My brother and I have frequently lamented how modifieds are no longer unique beasts.  Someone wrote (I think on 3 Wide) that in the late 60's and early 70's at most dirt tracks you could paint all the cars completely white and all the fans could still tell which car each of their favorite drivers was in.   Try that today!

Darrell
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty

modcrew18

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 06, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
   Totally agree DW, used to look for Maynard Forrette at Syracuse because he always seemed to have 2 brand new King chassis cars, white and immaculate. Liked the Merv maroone on the mudd busses. I remember that night at Canandaigua like it was yesterday and yet it was 30 years ago.