Author Topic: NASCAR Changes  (Read 6050 times)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
NASCAR Changes
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
I think NASCAR is going in the right direction with the changes.  What do you think?

FROM NASCAR.COM:

Among the shifts for 2021 are these highlights:

— May 23: Circuit of The Americas, a pristine 3.426-mile road course in Austin, Texas, that has been host to Formula 1, IndyCar and IMSA competition.

— June 20: Nashville Superspeedway, a 1.33-mile oval in Lebanon, Tennessee, that was confirmed for the 2021 schedule last spring.

— July 4: Road America, a historic 4.048-mile road circuit in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, that last hosted the Cup Series in 1956.

— Aug. 15: Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s 2.439-mile road course, a shift from the 2.5-mile oval layout.

RELATED: Official release from NASCAR

The Cup Series will also diversify its calendar with a temporary conversion of Bristol Motor Speedway to a dirt-track surface for its March 28 event. The last time NASCAR’s top division raced on dirt, Richard Petty won at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds’ dusty half-mile in Raleigh on Sept. 30, 1970.

“We developed the 2021 schedule with one primary goal: Continue to take steps to create the most dynamic schedule possible for our fans,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. “Extensive collaboration between NASCAR, the race tracks, race teams and our broadcast partners allowed NASCAR to create what promises to be an exciting 2021 schedule of races.”

NASCAR president Steve Phelps had indicated in a Sept. 1 roundtable with reporters that the 2021 schedule could be released in segments as coronavirus safeguards continue to alter normal race-weekend operations. In a manner of speaking, it was, with tracks and other officials staggering their announcements throughout the day before the full 36-race release later Wednesday afternoon.

Phelps said Sept. 1 that he was “cautiously optimistic that many of the objectives that we would have had in a pre-COVID world, we will have during our 2021 season.” The 2021 slate was scheduled for a springtime release this year, but the more immediate efforts by competition and racing operations officials to salvage the 36-race schedule for 2020 have taken priority.

RELATED: More details about 2021 schedule changes

Among the other highlights in the 2021 schedule release:

— The NASCAR All-Star Race will move to Texas Motor Speedway for the first time, with the annual invitational set for a June 13 date. The non-points exhibition has been held at Charlotte Motor Speedway for 33 of 35 runnings, with only single All-Star events taking place at Atlanta Motor Speedway (1986) and Bristol Motor Speedway (2020).

— Darlington Raceway will play host to two Cup Series races in 2021, slotting in at May 9 and Sept. 5 on the schedule. The 1.366-mile South Carolina track held three Cup races this year as competition officials gave priority to events within driving distance in its return after the COVID-19 outbreak. It had held one event annually from 2005-19. Darlington’s annual Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend will again serve as the opener of the 10-race playoffs.

— Atlanta Motor Speedway also expands to two annual stops on the Cup Series schedule, set for March 21 and July 11. The 1.54-mile track has been a part of the NASCAR calendar since 1960 and has held one race each year from 2011-20.

— The 10-race postseason schedule remains largely intact, with Bristol Motor Speedway (Round of 16), the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval (Round of 12) and Martinsville Speedway (Round of 8) returning as the elimination races. Only Texas Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway trade places in the postseason lineup, with Texas (Oct. 17) aligned as the Round of 8 opener with Kansas (Oct. 24) to follow.

— Chicagoland Speedway and Kentucky Speedway have been removed from the Cup Series schedule. Chicagoland had been on the Cup calendar from 2001-19 and served as the playoff opener from 2011-16. Kentucky Speedway hosted 10 Cup Series races from 2011-20.
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Turbo01

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NASCAR Changes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
Putting dirt on Bristol for a points race is a joke. The racing will suck (remember first
few Eldora truck races?) They are just now getting decent racing. These cars aren't built for that. And why not go to a dirt track? I don't get the fascination with putting dirt on asphalt. The racing isn't the same. Track conditions are never good. Always chunking up or rubber laid down on 1 groove making train racing. Glad they're taking away some of the boring cookie cutter tracks. I like the new road courses. And I'm especially excited about the Nashville race. I live 10 minutes from the track.

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »
Putting dirt on Bristol for a points race is a joke. The racing will suck (remember first
few Eldora truck races?) They are just now getting decent racing. These cars aren't built for that. And why not go to a dirt track? I don't get the fascination with putting dirt on asphalt. The racing isn't the same. Track conditions are never good. Always chunking up or rubber laid down on 1 groove making train racing. Glad they're taking away some of the boring cookie cutter tracks. I like the new road courses. And I'm especially excited about the Nashville race. I live 10 minutes from the track.

What dirt tracks would you suggest NASCAR utilize?  I'm having a hard time thinking of an existing facility that could seat at least 50,000 people (if not more). 
2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.

tom89tech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
 think NASCAR is trying to make changes for the good of racing. How ever car for dirt when NASCAR is telling them they are trying to cut costs I don't think dirt tracks will be good . Most of the drivers have no dirt experience and they are making the owners build a car for one race

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 11:30:40 PM »
More gimmicks...won't help their $heet show.  Cup on dirt will draw interest though.  Same as plane crashes and train wrecks do.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:44:54 PM »
News Flash: "I think NASCAR is going in the right direction with the changes." - Goggles Pissano

Hmmm.  Should seem pretty obvious to even the casual observer that Mr. Pissano's Racing New York identity has been hacked. 

Folks, you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure this one out.

Not getting sucked down this rabbit hole. . .

Very Truly Yours,

J. Langford Ratzsonovich
"Today is yesterday's future"

ChrisJ926

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »

What dirt tracks would you suggest NASCAR utilize?  I'm having a hard time thinking of an existing facility that could seat at least 50,000 people (if not more).

Does NAPCAR even get 50,000 people anymore (pre-Covid)?

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »
The obvious choice for NASCAR should have been Eldora.

owego26

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
Dare  I say  " DAAAAH "

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
Call me "Mr. skeptical" but why is dirt on Bristol a good thing?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

owego26

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »
 ???  I am not sure how many races nascrap had this covid season, BUT  I think Kevin Harvick WON about  9 ( that is NINE ),  and he is NOT even in the running for the championship  ???   This must be another example of this new MATH - DAAAAH ,  come on , really ...

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 04:53:31 PM »
???  I am not sure how many races nascrap had this covid season, BUT  I think Kevin Harvick WON about  9 (that is NINE), and he is NOT even in the running for the championship??? This must be another example of this new MATH - DAAAAH, come on, really ...

I was thinking the same thing, after yesterday's race. If I was Kevin, I'd be really upset!

tom89tech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
 What happened to the days when the man with the most point at the end of the season was the champ. This whole system in NASCAR is a joke

owego26

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 02:43:57 PM »
 That would make it  tooooo  easy  to figure out ...   What  a  JOKE  this nascrap  is anymore...

tom89tech

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
I don't think tat they should run dirt. Most of these drivers have never run dirt and now the owners have to build another car for one race. Why does NASCAR think this will be a good race?