Author Topic: Rolling Wheels a New Low  (Read 5742 times)

Michael Bonesky

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Rolling Wheels a New Low
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
Just when you thougt RWR couldnt get any worse they prove you wrong. After Thursdays Mod race Mike Mahaney came up 15 lb light on the scales after finishing 2nd. The track decided that since Mahaney was such a nice guy they wouldn't DQ him.
What does this say about all teams that took the time to make sure their cars made weight. Smh

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Wheels a New Low
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »
The DQ stands. He was paid for second, because he admitted he was light.

I agree a bad call, because rules are in place for a reason. Could have been a simple error in gallons of fuel - I know Justin burned more than anticipated in 20 or so laps, and burned up a right rear - but he was still light, good guy or not.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »
I wouldn't say it's a case of burning too much fuel. 14 lbs is over 2 gallons. I like Mike, and he's a stand up guy, but you don't pay someone who broke the rules, mistake or not.

Thunderfied

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:20:42 AM »
It's everywhere not just RWR.

Tri-Track at Star Speedway did the same thing with the winning car.

Transmission was not a 1 to 1 Transmission and the new team running Tri-Track let it go.

Every Modified Tour has a rule that says the transmission has to be a 1 to 1.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
I wouldn't say it's a case of burning too much fuel. 14 lbs is over 2 gallons. I like Mike, and he's a stand up guy, but you don't pay someone who broke the rules, mistake or not.

Indeed, it is approximately 2 1/2 gallons of fuel. Had they not made the public announcement and simply contacted Mike or Jim privately and told them the plan, there would be no hubbub. At least, IMO. 

pdracing1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
I swear all you people like to do is complain about everything, the money isn't coming out of your pocket is it!!

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:49 AM »
I have raced many years. The scales are the "weight of the day"  did anyone weight their car before the race? were the scales "certified recently? was anyone else under weight? A discussion is interesting.... let's keep it that way.

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
after reading this again I see where the track paid him the money. I don't think that is right and would question those in charge. It does say something about the ethics of the track and those involved.....

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »
Just when you thougt RWR couldnt get any worse they prove you wrong. After Thursdays Mod race Mike Mahaney came up 15 lb light on the scales after finishing 2nd. The track decided that since Mahaney was such a nice guy they wouldn't DQ him.
What does this say about all teams that took the time to make sure their cars made weight. Smh

I agree.  RWR = scumbags!

Sincerely,
Cagle
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Note: this is copied from Rolling Wheels fb page.  Just passing it along for discussion.

"Rolling Wheels Raceway
August 12 at 5:42pm ·

We are going to address the decision regarding the reversal of the DQ from the Summer Broiler. Rolling Wheels Raceway does not condone the breaking of any rules, the intent of our decision was to give a racer who had supported our track a payday and our thoughts were that it would not bother anybody because we were not taking money away from any other driver. This decision was made and we now understand that rules are rules, and our decision could be setting the wrong example or precedent. Rules will always be strictly adhered to at RWR, the fact is, we wanted a great show for the fans and the racing surface was unbelievably fast and the light Mod count was severely disappointing to us, this was a decision from us to show support to a guy who did support the track. The decision in hindsight was not correct. However, we agreed and said we would pay the money and we will, we regret that this act of support from us has caused people to think it is rewarding someone for breaking rules. This was not our intent and we apologize. This will not happen again, furthermore, Racing officials at Rolling Wheels should of been consulted before this decision was made and were not, no blame or harassment should come their way. It was simply wanting to see a good young man catch a break. We did not believe the intent was there, but we have all made mistakes at times that have cost us money, anyone could see that this young man had no intent but that does not make it correct on our part. With this being said, strict rule enforcement shall always be a priority at the Wheels. We simply ask that this mistake be forgiven and move on."

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
I have raced many years. The scales are the "weight of the day"  did anyone weight their car before the race? were the scales "certified recently? was anyone else under weight? A discussion is interesting.... let's keep it that way.

To answer this, an announcement was made before hot laps that the scales were open for anyone who needed to check weight. I do not recall seeing anyone take their car over to be weighed. I do recall joking that maybe someone should, because the scales had been idle since last year. 

Most teams have scaled and weighed and set ride heights before they get to the track. And, also, I did not hear of anyone else being light.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 02:13:06 PM »
If you know your scaling weight (and you should) the first thing you should do at the track after you "dress" the car for competition
is roll over the track or series scales to take a reference. Should be done every race. Things move, change, temperature etc . It's just good practice. If you need 3 gallons of fuel to make weight put in 4...just in case. DQ for weight ( even a fake one) is totally in the racers hands.
Should never happen.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
If you know your scaling weight (and you should) the first thing you should do at the track after you "dress" the car for competition
is roll over the track or series scales to take a reference. Should be done every race. Things move, change, temperature etc . It's just good practice. If you need 3 gallons of fuel to make weight put in 4...just in case. DQ for weight ( even a fake one) is totally in the racers hands.
Should never happen.
There's ways to find 14 lbs. if you think you're going to be light.

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »
Why have a rule book and scales?  I know of at least 2 guys that have been DQ ed for 5# or less.  It is your responsibility to go over track scales prior to race.  Just because you are good on your scales doesn't mean jack.  14 # you are not trying to cheat  you miscalcalculated fuel and tire loss  but lite is lite

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Heading over the track scales prior to your hot lap session, and heat races for that matter, rarely happens. Guys did hit the scales after their heat races, so....

That's like saying tech should be done BEFORE you are allowed to race.... Oh, wait....