Author Topic: Maynard Troyer - 1963 Sarasota-Bradenton Speedway  (Read 4692 times)

lynchmobb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Maynard Troyer - 1963 Sarasota-Bradenton Speedway
« on: October 19, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
I have been cleaning up my race program collection & wanted to share this one. It's a race program from Sarasota-Bradenton Speedway in Florida. Dated August 9, 1963. Maynard Troyer is featured on the cover after winning the 'early model' mid-season championship. He is listed as #69. It also lists Maynard in the Late Model class with a #90 Ford.

lynchmobb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maynard Troyer - 1963 Sarasota-Bradenton Speedway
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
program cover

lynchmobb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »
This one shows an ad for 'Troyer Cabinets & Furniture' in Sarasota. KT - was that your family's business?

BIGFOOT56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 03:31:28 AM »
Thats cool!

deacon3j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
Some great names in Florida racing history in that little write-up in the program. Truth be known, I was probably there since I was growing up in Palmetto at the time. The area around Tampa Bay was a real hotbed of racing. Philips Field, Plant Field at the old State Fairgrounds, Sunshine/Showtime Speedway, Golden Gate Speedway, Sara-Mana Speedbowl, Desoto Speedway, East Bay Speedway, all within a 40 mile radius. For a time, there was even a track at the new State Fairgrounds east of Tampa. Great names like, Reutimann, Cagle, Hirst, Bontrager, Billy Gill, Gene Tharp, the 123 of Gordon Lee, Bobby Brack, Frank and Jimmy Riddle, Gary Balough, even the Allison brothers! And of course, Maynard Troyer! One of the best race announcers ever, the late Gordon Solie was the voice of Golden Gate for many years along with doing the wrestling in Tampa as well. It was a fun time and place to grow up!!!!!
Deacon

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
When I was an elementary school student in Plain City OH in 1964-1967, I believe Maynard occasionally raced on the dirt track at the fairgrounds in Plain City.  Who would have thought?  I knew nothing about racing then.  That place is long gone.