Author Topic: "Big R" Novice Graduates Cain, Martin, and Moden Moving Up to Sportsman in 2021  (Read 733 times)

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
Novice Graduates Cain, Martin, and Moden Moving Up to Sportsman in 2021 @ "Big R"

RANSOMVILLE, NY (January 25, 2021) Three drivers that spent time in the Kevin’s Carpet Cleaning Novice Sportsman division at the Ransomville Speedway will be continuing to race against each other this coming season.  Young guns Clayton Cain and Jordan Moden will be joined by longtime veteran Mike Martin as they move up to the Investor’s Services Sportsman in 2021.

Not only that Clayton Cain from Newfane feels up to the challenge for racing with the best of the best week in and week out at “The Big R”. Cain raced in the Sportsman division at Genesee Speedway in 2020. “I learned a lot from the drivers at Genesee that have more experience than I do in a Sportsman,” Cain said.  Clayton has two years of experience in his Sportsman.

2021 will be a learning curve for Cain as he is switching chassis manufacturers. “We made the switch this season from an older Troyer to a 2020 Bicknell Chassis, so I am looking forward to this season.” Besides racing at Ransomville, Cain is going to be running select events in a 600cc Micro Sprint at Limerock Speedway. “With running Ransomville, Limerock, and wherever else we plan on running, I’m up for as many races as possible this year,” Cain said. His goals for this season are to run a lot of races and getting more seat time and running laps.

Clayton picked his car number by putting a handful of numbers in a hat and drew. “I didn’t really care personally about the car number, so we did a draw, and the number 5 was picked and that was that” Cain explained.  Cain drives the Fred’s Pizza and Hoagies, Jeffery Machine, Fab Shop 54, Hot Wheels Traction Factory, Matt Bretherton Motorsport, M&D Racing, JJC Custom Graphix entry. Clayton would like to thank his dad and uncles along with Mike Childrose, Matt Bretherton, and Glen Klumpp.

Mike Martin has been racing ever since he was 16 years old. From racing go-karts at Limerock Speedway and then became a crew member on Mark Potter’s race team and eventually purchasing his first Pro Stock back in 1999. He ran in the full-fender division for nearly a decade before purchasing his first Sportsman in 2010. In 2011, Martin was the recipient of the Ray MacIver Sportsmanship Award after having Mark Potter drive his racecar. After taking time off to help son Brett with his car, Mike returned in 2014 to the Novice division and finished second in points to Dan Heschke. That performance in 2014 was after he returned after blowing an engine early that season. He took another couple of seasons off to get his business started, Finish Line Auto Detailing, and would return in 2018. The 2019 season saw Mike became the division’s co-champion alongside Butch Zimmerman. All in all, the Lockport, NY driver has been involved in racing for 40 years.

“My advice to the drivers that are moving up would be to take time to listen to the veteran drivers. Respect the veterans and listen to their advice and to give and show respect on the track,” Martin said.  The driver of the number 99 is a huge fan of Geoffrey Bodine. “I’ve followed Geoff ever since his modified days so that’s where the 99 came from,” Martin said.  Martin loves Ransomville for the fast speeds. 2021 will not only see Mike return to race against son Brett but his nephew Jordan is also moving up to the Sportsman. “I’ve raced against Brett back in the Pro Stock days. If we all have friendly competition and respect for each other, it should be a good time and fun family time,” Martin said. “I am looking forward to utilizing Brett’s experience as he has been in the Sportsman quite a while and can pass on useful information to me and Jordan. We have a lot to learn against the veterans.” Martin’s main goal is to keep his Finish Line Auto Detail, Bucolo Cold Storage, Case Boring, Kirk Starkweather Construction sponsored Bicknell Chassis in one piece every week, learn from the veterans, and finish in the top 15 in points at the end of the season. Martin tries to be a conservative driver on the track. Mike would like to thank his wife, parents, crew, kids, and grandkids alongside his guard dog Angel.  He would also like to thank Jim Mullen from Performance Photo and Video and track photographer Tom Stevens for always capturing the great moments every week and the staff at Bicknell Racing Products for always answering his questions and customer support.

After moving up from the go-karts and the Ki Po Motors Street Stocks to the Novice Sportsman, Medina, NY’s Jordan Moden is entering year three in an open-wheeled racecar. “When I go on the track for the first time, I will be thinking about keeping the car in one piece and trying to improve my driving by following the more experienced drivers,” Moden said. The 2021 campaign will see Jordan race against his cousin Brett Martin and his Uncle Mike Martin. “Racing with Brett and Uncle Mike will push me harder to do my best and to be more competitive,” said Moden. His goals for the season include being more competitive and hoping to get a couple of victories. Moden enjoys how close to home “The Big R” is. “I like the fact that Ransomville is close to home and it allows the entire family to go and have a good time,” he said.

Jordan is the pilot of the number 28 ride. The number is symbolic as it is his little cousin’s due date to be born. Moden is sponsored by Western New York Energy, Pete’s Garage, Scotty’s Half-***** Bumper Service, Vivus Technology, Empire Dairy, NBurke Landscaping, Zambistro Restaurant, Dunham Farms, and Karl Moden Trucking. The crew includes his parents, David, Zach, Uncle Mike, Aunt Jenn, Brett, the entire family who helps each week. “I have to give special thanks to Scott and Zach George and Wolfe Pack Racing for the help that they have done so far this offseason and for giving me the opportunity and for believing in me and pushing me to do my best to be the most competitive that I can be”.

As the calendar gets closer to the anticipated start of the 2021 season, these three drivers are looking forward to racing against the tough competition that all call Ransomville Speedway home.

About Ransomville Speedway:  Ransomville Speedway is located on Braley Road in the hamlet of Ransomville, just 20 minutes from Niagara Falls and Lockport. “The Big R” is a 3/8th-mile DIRTcar sanctioned facility that is the Home of the Summer Nationals. Ransomville also features a 1/16th -mile Go-Kart track for action on the “Little R” on Thursday nights! For more information, please visit us on the World Wide Web at www.ransomvillespeedway.com  as well as follow us on Twitter @Ransomville and like us on Facebook. You can also contact the speedway by phone by calling (716) 791-3602 or (716) 791-3611.

###
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."