Author Topic: Blunt wall openings @ Shangri-La II  (Read 4306 times)

Winston

• View Profile
Blunt wall openings @ Shangri-La II
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:47:26 PM »
i have been TRYING to post this on the regular RaceNY message board, but have had MAJOR difficulties in registering/logging in/posting over there. If someone could copy and paste this (and later get me help so I can post there myself), it would be greatly appreciated-thanks!

Is there any plans to put gates over the outside wall openings entering turns 1 & 3? I hope that they are going to gate those, b/c having 2 water barrels protecting 2 blunt wall openings is NOT going to cut it, esp. after seeing video of the Pardo fatal crash. You can't bank the drivers' safety on them "probably" not crashing at that point of the track, how many times have you seen guys rub on the straight and one of them get turned into the wall, right about where those openings are? I'm ALL for the new track, and can't wait to see a race there. Just wish they would finish the place right regarding safety, rather than rushing to make opening day & making changes after something bad has happened. JMO..hope these thoughts get passed on though...

hispeed

• View Profile
Re: Blunt wall openings @ Shangri-La II
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
Hope they close the openings soon that could be very dangerous :o

kinserfan11

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »
yes in few weeks and also they are going to put up track lights; plant grass on hills; put rest rooms in infield and behind grandstand; hydrolic pit gates;  ;D ;D
Long Live  20 Time  World Of Outlaws Champion Steve
Kinser #11

Modifiedbuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:55:21 PM »
The large metal doors will be buried into the ground  and raise using hydraulics.

coyotekart1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
Now that is cool with those hydraulic walls!  :o

raceguy

• Champion
  • Duane ~ a.k.a. "The Motorin' Mexican"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »
As far as I could see, and my eyesight isn't too bad, there were NO "blunt wall openings" last weekend.
The "large steel doors" were in place while racing was going on....so let's give the track a thumbs up, eh? <----cheap imitation of canucky.... :P

bobby consi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
The wall openings are closed off while the racing is going, there are no blunt openings. It seems like everyone is just picking this place apart. Its a brand new track with a few items that need to be done. Even Rick Zach said that all the B.S that has been written on this site has kept the cars away. I'll tell you what SL2 compared to some of the other "racetracks" is like comparing Augusta national to your local Mini golf course. Not to put any of the other tracks down but you can already see that SL2,(just looking at the track when you walk in ), is going to be state of the art. When my sons start racing thats where they will be racing, because if there is any chance of them making it to the "big time" this place will get them there! Matter of fact as awesome as this place is i can't see any reason for a pavement racer to race anywhere else?? I've been to every pavement track in the northeast and last night when I walked into the place i was at I just laughed after being at SL2 the week before.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:27:59 PM »
At the opening last weekend there were no"blunt wall openings" as was the worry. Heavy "Jersey" type barriers backed up by heavy equipment filled the opening and fortunately no one tested them. The vertical lifting doors should ultimately make these openings safer than traditional gates. Guys on the fence about running there should try it. The racing there is bound to get better as time goes by.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

kinserfan11

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »
Mike; I like your avatar; looks like the one i shot ay Sgl2 last week  ;D
Long Live  20 Time  World Of Outlaws Champion Steve
Kinser #11

tourmod36

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 08:20:18 AM »
Is there any plans to put gates over the outside wall openings entering turns 1 & 3? I hope that they are going to gate those, b/c having 2 water barrels protecting 2 blunt wall openings is NOT going to cut it, esp. after seeing video of the Pardo fatal crash. You can't bank the drivers' safety on them "probably" not crashing at that point of the track, how many times have you seen guys rub on the straight and one of them get turned into the wall, right about where those openings are? I'm ALL for the new track, and can't wait to see a race there. Just wish they would finish the place right regarding safety, rather than rushing to make opening day & making changes after something bad has happened. JMO..hope these thoughts get passed on though...

What are you talking about??? There were no water barrels, nor any "blunt openings". Maybe you got the huge jersey barriers and heavy equipment confused with water barrels? ???