Author Topic: Dutch Hoag Career Last Races at Weedsport?  (Read 17394 times)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
Dutch Hoag Career Last Races at Weedsport?
« on: October 29, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
I just read here:  http://www.empaonline.org/Dutch%20Hoag%20bio.html that Dutch Hoag ended his career racing on dirt at Weedsport.  I thought he ran an asphalt Troyer Pinto that he owned and the Turner's wrenched on.  If he finished up at Weedsport, anybody have pics?  Thanks!   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

justmark

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • WNYRaceZone - Western New York Racing News
Re: Dutch Hoag Career Last Races at Weedsport?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:52:48 AM »
That's interesting. I know that he was running the #18 at Spencer and Shangri-La in 1978 with some top five finishes.
Captain History
FOAR SCORE Club Historian

"Life's too short, man"

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle: Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:51 AM »
I’ve got to say that info isn’t right.  As I was thumbing through some old Gaters a while back I vaguely remember reading about Dutch competing at Weedsport a time or two on Sunday nights but that would have been in the early 70’s. Maybe 72 or 73?.  After a bit of a retirement in the early 70's, Dutch came back to Shangri-la in '75 racing a modified for a few shows, then in '76 came a brief stint at Oswego in the Turner Bros. supermodified, then, as Mark said, he came back driving the Turner #18 Pinto at Shangri-la and Spencer in '78. 

The final races I can remember Dutch competing in where in his son Dean’s Pinto at Shangri-la.  That was 1979.  Dutch’s final win while driving Dean’s car (a heat race) is down below.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
They say late 70's. If he ran Dean's pinto in '79, then his last race at Weedsport would have been '79 (using their logic). I was there almost every week in '79, and have almost all the programs. I don't remember this at all, and there is zero reference to it in any of my programs (and he certainly didn't run there regular). I'll double check, but I've read through them several times, and remember no reference to it. As far as I remember, the last time Dutch ran Weedsport was '72 (which is a story in itself).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:29:07 PM by BigFeet13 »

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
I was racing in '79 at Weedsport and I don't remember him racing there.

But I do remember a year or two before we started going to Weedsport (72) that Richie Evans ran and won at Weedsport.  Maybe other primarily asphalt racers were also running then
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
1972. Donnelly brought him in to see if Cagle was legit. At least that's the story I heard.

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
Richie won at Weedsport, 6-20-1971

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I think I'm going to vomit.  This is actually a serious thread with serious replies.  Who'd thunk it?   Thanks for the cool posts PiesGrandes13.  Anybody know anything about the Gremlin Dutch and Dean ran?  Seems like it was short lived.  Wonder why? 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

rocket5973

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
Little Roman?

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
Anybody know anything about the Gremlin Dutch and Dean ran?  Seems like it was short lived.  Wonder why?
Funny you should mention that Gremlin.  I thought I had a pic somewhere of either Dean or Dutch driving it at Syracuse.  I can’t find it now.  Must have been ’73.  I think it was the Fair race.  If it was Dutch driving that may have been the last time he raced on dirt.  The Gremlin was around for only a couple of season - '73 and '74.  Then Dean debuted a new car in '75.  I want to say the new car was built by Emanuel Zervakis maybe? Those Southern built cars were starting to become the hot-set up back then.

justmark

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • WNYRaceZone - Western New York Racing News
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
Richie's only dirt career victory came at Weedsport (Rolling Wheels). He started on the pole after winning his heat; he had flipped the previous week. Richie won over Dave Kneisel, John McArdell, Merv Treichler and John Podolak.
Captain History
FOAR SCORE Club Historian

"Life's too short, man"

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle: Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson

paperboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
   I'm pretty sure there were actually 2 of the black Gremlins.  77 for Dean, and 7 for Dutch.  In 1975, they had   Vegas.  Dean had no. 77 and Dutch showed up with another one with a ?  on the door.  I remember they had twin features at Shangri-La as the qualifier for the RoC at Trenton.  Dutch finished second in one feature; I don't recall his other finish, but he was the overall best finisher and was the preferred starter for Trenton.  I can remember him giving Joe Gerber a big hug in victory lane.

The following year,  Dean got the Troyer Pinto.
Mike Harris

Blacksheep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Your right on the money Paperboy !!! I have pictures of the black Gremlin and Dean's new light blue Pinto.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
In 1975, they had   Vegas.  Dean had no. 77 and Dutch showed up with another one with a ?  on the door.  I remember they had twin features at Shangri-La as the qualifier for the RoC at Trenton.  Dutch finished second in one feature; I don't recall his other finish, but he was the overall best finisher and was the preferred starter for Trenton.  I can remember him giving Joe Gerber a big hug in victory lane.
8/9/75: Richie Evans won the first main.  George Kent won the second.  Dutch got the spot for Trenton.
The following week Richie would win his 11th feature of the year at Shangri-la and break Dutch Hoag's record for most wins in a single season at the track.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:55:01 PM by Jay Mooney »

koupeskoaches

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

INFO ABOUT DUTCH HOAG, AFTER READING THE DIFFERENT THREADS ON HERE I DECIDED TO LOOK THROUGH MY SCRAPBOOKS TO
    LOOK FOR SOME INFO ABOUT DUTCH.
     BEING A SPENCER SPEEDWAY FAN,SINCE 1962 ,I DID FIND ALOT OF INFO. DUTCH STOPPED RUNNING AT SPENCER IN 1975. THERE WAS
  SOME KIND OF DISAGREMENT BETWEEN OFFICIALS AND DUTCH,THEN THE NEXT THING I KNEW, EVERYONE WAS SAYING THAT DUTCH WAS HAVING SOME MEDICAL PROBLEMS???? HE RESURFACED IN 1977--78, NEVER SAW HIM RACE AGAIN AT SPENCER. I HAVE PHOTOS OF HIM AT SHANGRI-LA  WITH TURNER'S PINTO, AND LATER ON 78??,OR79?? WITH THE MULTI COLOR PINTO.
     I CHECKED WEEDSPORT,AN FOUND ONLY ONE MENTION OF DUTCH, 1972?.
     SOME ONE MENTIONED HIS GREMLIN-------- FIRST SAW IT AT SPENCER MAYBE 1973. BLACK CAR, WHITE NUMBER, OUTLINED IN RED.
     IN 1974 SAW DUTCH, AND DEAN AT FULTON ,EARLY SPRING, I HAVE PHOTOS OF BOTH CARS IN THE PIT AREA. AT THAT TIME, DUTCHES CAR WAS STILL BLACK,BUT NUMBER COLOR WAS A GOLD COLOR,DEANS CAR ALSO BLACK#77 WITH A GOLD NUMBERING, ONLY DIFFERENCE IN PAINT SCHEME WAS DEAN'S CAR HAD A WHITE STRIP ALONG THE SIDE AND ALONG THE EDGE  OF THE HOOD. THESE
 PHOTOS ARE COLOR, TOOK THEM WITH MY INSTAMATIC CAMERA. IF YOUR COMING TO THE SPENCER SPEEDWAY  BANQUET, I WILL
 BRING THESE PHOTOS WITH ME.
     SOMEONE MENTIONED RICHIE EVANS RUNNING ON DIRT.   YES HE DID, BUT NOT TO OFTEN, A COUPLE OF TIME AT WEEDSPORT,
  AND BREWERTON, I DO HAVE  THE CLIPPINGS,AND PHOTOS.
    THE ABOVE INFO IS WHAT I REMEMBER,AND SAW,NOT SAYING THAT IS ABSOLUTE, JUST MY 2 CENTS.
   ALWAYS GLAD TO HEAR MORE IF ANYONE CAN ADD TO THE ABOVE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KOUPESKOACHES