Author Topic: Head & Neck Restraints  (Read 7045 times)

#2 Charger

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Head & Neck Restraints
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:02:56 AM »
Any Pros Or Cons With Hans, Hutchens Ect., I'm Buying One But Have Never Used One.

Cliff04

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Head & Neck Restraints
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
A friend of mine uses the defender. Similar to hans but does not require a special seat

Jamesgang

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
The Hutchens is like walking around with a parachute on and it gets tangled in the seatbealts.

Hans is more money but way more comfortable, and most new SA helmets come with the anchors pre-drilled.

P.S.  Make sure when you're seated in the car there is enough room behind your head for the hans to sit without pushing your head forward. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:27:30 PM by Jamesgang »
Winner of the 2014, 2018, and 2019 Dave London Memorial.

nwmod39

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
I tried a couple different styles that other racers had and went with the simpson rage. definetly comfortable.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
Been using a Hans for about five years in DIRT Modifieds. I like it. The only complaint is, that for an old timer who's used to pulling his belts real tight , you don't feel like your hooked in as snuggly with it on. I think if you could get the over-under belts like the cup guys use it would feel more secure. Also my unit is pre-floating tethers so if someone stops to talk to you when you're strapped in you can't see their mouth unless they stand toward the front of the car.  So unless they're absolutely shouting you can't understand anything they're saying. Small price to keep from suffering a basal skull fracture.

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
A well deserved "atta-boy" for Dale using the HANS device.

Price for other brands are less than HANS, but make sure they have the SFI rating.

Get one before you need one.  Please.
John Flock

bigshow39

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
yeah this has been something I've wanted to get for the past few years. now i definitely have to get one. I'm leaning towards the HANS
i plan to go out with a bang not a whimper

Italianracer31

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
I bought the HANS a month or two ago off saferacer.com it was $695 but free shipping just an FYI guys
I'd rather be racin'...TC31

Muddslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »
I have a Hutchins and like it other than it does get tangled in the belts like an earlier post said...Also we have been hearing only good things about the NecksGen head and neck restraint and they retail for $599 and are SFI approved...they might be an option other than Hans if you wanted to check it out

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »

Rocketman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
the simpson rage is good for short trackers, it attched to your body, has better impact rating than the hans front and side, uses the same hookup, and is lower profile on the back side, making it easier to enter and exit with it on........whatever you get something is better than nothing......if you need to ill show you my back x rays from a concord crash without one.......had 3 vertabrae and discs fixed in august of 2011 because of it........at first you wont like them, but the more you wear them you forget about it even being there....

Ricky Knapp
" If the radiator cap fits, The whole damn car will!"      Beware the Fury in a patient man.

MODiFried

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »
watteva keeps my Heros safer(dont skimp on the duration of your career)...do the BEST ya can  ;)

bigshow39

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »
Joe I've been looking at all options and IM leaning towards the Necksgen

comdiver11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »
I just bought the necksgen and it is comfortable..best bang for your buck

bigshow39

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Now I've heated and understand that with some restraints such as the HANS that you can't just use any seat.. is tthis the same with the necksgen? Or does it work with a standard kirky?