Author Topic: Could clay be coming to Lancaster??  (Read 6572 times)

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Could clay be coming to Lancaster??
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
Glenn Donnelly sniffing around Lancaster.. could the dirt be coming in the future..?
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Could clay be coming to Lancaster??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
housing  due to urban sprawl

Paul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:10:08 AM »
Dirt on the Lancaster oval would be tatamount to sacrilege.  And, yes, I know that it started out as a dirt track.  And there are great dirt tracks around (Ransomville, for example).  But for my money Lancaster is still the best track I've ever watched an asphalt modified race on.  Selfish, I know, but it is a great asphalt track and I would hate to see it compromised. 

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »
Dirt on the Lancaster oval would be tatamount to sacrilege.  And, yes, I know that it started out as a dirt track.  And there are great dirt tracks around (Ransomville, for example).  But for my money Lancaster is still the best track I've ever watched an asphalt modified race on.  Selfish, I know, but it is a great asphalt track and I would hate to see it compromised.

Call me selfish, too, Paul--it was be pretty disappointing if that were to happen!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
Fulton

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »
Donnelly?  doesn't he have to finish CNY Raceway first?  Funny Shawn.   I'd rather it a T-Way exit than that idea.

Track opening in limbo and it's truly amazing what gets sucked into the vacuum.  :-\
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 02:20:47 AM »
I don’t think CNY raceway is gonna happen,doesn’t look like Cuomo wants to spend the promised money..So if Lancaster goes dirt, this will be yet another track uticamike will boycott?? 😜
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 07:26:30 AM »
The powers that be(with all the money$$)destroyed Fulton with dirt and Utica-rome as well.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
Reading this discussion has made me feel a little nostalgic, as the first ever oval track I ever saw, was at some no longer existing, "hole in the wall", dirt track, outside of Lancaster, PA, in 1957. My family was living in the area, at the time. The following year found us in Rochester, on the east side of the city, and the Monroe County Fairgrounds was significantly easier to get to, than Spencer's, back then. So you could say that I grew up on dirt, but quickly became a bigger fan of asphalt racing.

Having said that, I've often wondered why asphalt is dying, while dirt is still thriving. Today, I had an epiphany, and it hit me. Dirt racing is more exciting to watch, simple as that. The dirt racers are still flinging their cars 2-3 wide into the turns, which definitely appeals to the fans. The asphalt cars, while MUCH faster than they were years ago, for the most part are still competing on 60 year old, narrow and relatively flat, "one groove" tracks. No doubt, while exciting to watch while "hot lapping", when it's race time, there just isn't the close competition of a dirt race, which doesn't retain the fans' attention.

While both disciplines have allowed their cars to become equally expensive and sophisticated, due to dirt's popularity, the dirt tracks generate more income through the front gate, therefore they can provide a bigger purse, to help the racers defray their expenses. This, in turn helps to keep the car count comparatively high, which also helps to attract the fans, which also helps to keep the track financially solvent, which keeps the doors open, etc, etc.

Just my $0.02 worth....

matt_s86

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
I had to check the date this post was started.  April 5 is a little late for an April Fool's joke.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 02:50:27 AM »
Not going to dirt tracks isn't boycotting them Shawn. In fact the one track I am boycotting happens to be asphalt.  Nothing wrong with dirt  racing if that's your thing. I'm just a pavement guy. However the good citizens who don't like the current speedway are gonna just love a dirt one. Wait till the dust blooms drift east over Clearance or start covering he T-way.  Think I'm wrong?  Ever drive by Fonda on the T-way on a Sat night in the summer?From a distance what looks like a fire is an huge "funnel" cloud of dust hovering over the village. A good 1/2 mile from the exit . At Lancaster as well all know you can spit on the T-Way.  Doesn't matter anyway Lancaster isn't going to be a dirt track. 

Leadfoot, the forces at work here have nothing to do with asphalt v dirt. The great irony (a sad one at that) is if the place closes it's coming after 3 solid years of a well established rebound from the doldrums. Tim Packman and his dedicated staff did a great job of righting the ship there and showed that the old girl can still thrive if done correctly.  I don't know anything but I've lived in this state long enough that I believe some rotten politics is in play here. This state is a cesspool for it.  Hope I'm wrong.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
….Leadfoot, the forces at work here have nothing to do with asphalt v dirt. The great irony (a sad one at that) is if the place closes it's coming after 3 solid years of a well established rebound from the doldrums. Tim Packman and his dedicated staff did a great job of righting the ship there and showed that the old girl can still thrive if done correctly.  I don't know anything but I've lived in this state long enough that I believe some rotten politics is in play here. This state is a cesspool for it.  Hope I'm wrong.

Mike, I don't profess to know it all, but I'm just trying to make sense of how asphalt tracks are struggling/closing, yet dirt tracks seem to be keeping their heads above water. I don't quite see how "politics", and least government politics, can be part of the equation. "Politics" among the race tracks/promoters/sanctioning bodies, however, may be a different story, and one I'm not familiar with.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
From an Owner/Driver Perspective

1.  I raced on both surfaces.  The dirt was just way more fun and forgiving to a bad setup.
2.  Tires.  When you need to slap on four fresh tires every week, that's no good. 
3.  Tire rules/purchasing - on the dirt in the Northeast there are really only two options and you don;t have to buy them form the track wiht a track stamp.
4.  Crate option - it saved a lot of dirt tracks

From a Fans Perspective

1.  I'm a fan as well.  The dirt racing is more side-by-side and fun to watch - except for the dust.
2.  NASCAR dying is also hurting the asphalt allure. 
3.  Lot's of other major league dirt touring classes and events.  WoO Sprints, LM's, Lucas Oil LM's, Chili Bowl, The Dream, Super Dirt Week, Knoxville Nationals, and to a lesser degree SDS, Patriot Sprints, ESS - I think this keeps the average fan interested in Dirt.  Outside the 3 NASCAR touring classes what's out there? Please don't say ROC - that's laughable.
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
The powers that be(with all the money$$)destroyed Fulton with dirt and Utica-rome as well.
[Dirt is what saved Fulton and that statement came right from Bub Benway./quote]

Tigerpaw333

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
No Clay but good news:

TWEET

The owner of Lancaster Speedway says he has a verbal agreement in place to sell the Gunnville Road dual stock car/drag racing facility to an undisclosed party.

Gordon Reger said Thursday that the agreement materialized in the last day and the new owner intends for racing to continue. Lancaster has run motorsports competition almost continuously since 1959.

He declined to disclose the sale price or the prospective buyer other than to say the buyer was based locally.

"There is no deal signed yet but their intention is to open it as soon as possible for racing this season," Reger told The News. "As long as things move along I will let the new owner take over the operation of the track prior to the sale closing,"

Reger who has owned the track for most of the last 20 years, put the track up for sale last fall and said if he did not sell by the beginning of this season that the track would be no longer open for racing.

TWEET

The owner of Lancaster Speedway says he has a verbal agreement in place to sell the Gunnville Road dual stock car/drag racing facility to an undisclosed party.

Gordon Reger said Thursday that the agreement materialized in the last day and the new owner intends for racing to continue. Lancaster has run motorsports competition almost continuously since 1959.

He declined to disclose the sale price or the prospective buyer other than to say the buyer was based locally.

"There is no deal signed yet but their intention is to open it as soon as possible for racing this season," Reger told The News. "As long as things move along I will let the new owner take over the operation of the track prior to the sale closing,"

Reger who has owned the track for most of the last 20 years, put the track up for sale last fall and said if he did not sell by the beginning of this season that the track would be no longer open for racing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reger said, in the days ahead, the identity of the buyer will be made public and initial plans for the upcoming season will be revealed by the new owner.

"They made me an offer that I accepted," Reger said. "This deal is something I've been working on for a while and it was finalized within the last 24 hours.

"The identity of the buyer will become known when the buyer and I choose to release the information, which I anticipate would be fairly shortly. What I can tell you it that the buyer will run it as a racetrack."

Reger said he will work with the new owner to move along the selling process as quickly as possible so that the new owner can alert the racing community to the plans.

"I'm happy for the racers at Lancaster that this deal has materialized," Reger said. "Now we just need to move the sale from a verbal agreement to one signed on paper in these next immediate days and then racing will continue."
Dirt: Ransomville Speedway, Genesse Speedway Limerock
Asphalt: Lancaster  Hillside