Author Topic: Small Block Chevy oil blowby problem  (Read 6151 times)

04racing

• View Profile
Small Block Chevy oil blowby problem
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »
My asphalt super stock has a 350 10-1 comp engine that runs strong for about 10 laps. It's turned about 6000 rpm, and as long as it runs 180 to 200 degrees it stays running strong. After about 10 to 12 laps the temp sometimes rises to over 200 degrees and the engine starts to skip and lose power and also starts pushing oil out of the breathers so bad I've been blacked flagged a couple times. The oil never burns out the exhaust though. It has a mild hydraulic cam and I noticed after it got hot a couple of lifters became noisy after pulling back in the pits.  Any ideas ?  Thanks
Rich Contryman
richc@twcny.rr.com

stonecold

• View Profile
Re: Small Block Chevy oil blowby problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
sounds like possible head gasket problem

fubar818

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »
what about valve seats in the heads

racer76j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »
head gasket is my guess.had this happen on a 4 cyl.Same principle tho.The head reachs about 200 deg and due to expansion causes enough of a gap to let the combustion pressure into the crank case and usually radiator.I did a compression test and didn't reveal it was the HG.I ended up resurfacing head and new HG and Bolts and it fixed my problem.Im assuming you have ARP head bolts so you should be good on reusing those.
Or jsut a simple PCV valve maybe.
Don't hate what beats you.Just learn from it!

04racing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
thanks for the ideas guys. I am now thinking it is a head or gasket problem. I haven't pulled them yet, but I did a compression test and all cylinders seemed to be ok. But i'm going to pull them now anyways and check everything.
Rich Contryman
richc@twcny.rr.com

racer76j

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
so what was your problem?I hate a story with no ending!
Don't hate what beats you.Just learn from it!

04racing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
I didn't think anyone was even following this anymore....LOL      I put a bottle of Barrs head gasket sealer in and since then it has been better. It's coming out this weekend, so i'll take a look and see if it was a head or gasket.
Rich Contryman
richc@twcny.rr.com

2cars2much

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
Whats your oil preasure during and after the race???Do you have a low oil light???Sounds like your rings.As bad rings would give you a lot of blow by and would keep the oil in the top of the motor.Its hard for the oil too return to the pan when there is to much preasure trying to get out.I will try to help but need alittle more info on your oil preasure first..Dave