Author Topic: Layin the clay on the Steel Palace!  (Read 2777 times)

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
Layin the clay on the Steel Palace!
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:54:00 AM »
Every year at this time, I get very excited. I know the asphalt guys hate it, but I cannot tell you how much better the racing is at Oswego.

This year bodes to be the best so far (weather permitting, of course) with teams attempting qualification for the first time since the move from the Fairgrounds. Between DIRTcar Northeast (WRG), the church, and the Torrese Family, they are really putting their best foot forward with additional camping, better roadways through the camping areas, better functioning pit area - just overall improving everything for everyone.

I respect the history of Oswego, and I respect that some people will never approve of having Super DIRT Week there, but as a fan, I say THANK YOU for allowing us to continue our traditions at your historic facility!

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Layin the clay on the Steel Palace!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
dirt is for farming asphalt is for racing 

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
It's this time of year we are reminded just how precious these speed venues really are.  Dirt lost their "Pocono" when the state blew up the fairgrounds. ( We older asphalt guys still miss the best speedway ever).  It worked really well up there last year and should be better this.
As a joke I always say leave the dirt on the Palace but that's my own prejudice in play. That said I've always wondered why Middletown couldn't host SDW? Just not enough room?  Likely the same reason it can't go at the Wheels ( ownership questions notwithstanding).

Thinking I just might take in the show at the O this year.  Ma Nature please be kind. 8)

"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
It's this time of year we are reminded just how precious these speed venues really are.  Dirt lost their "Pocono" when the state blew up the fairgrounds.

I know that this isn't the "off topic" section, but I can't help myself....It's simply AMAZING, how one person, our "illustrious Governor", is able to make such intelligent, unilateral decisions for EVERYBODY in the state. How just one person can possess such knowledge, simply blows me away.

See y'all……….

Hoosierfan22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
This year bodes to be the best so far (weather permitting, of course) with teams attempting qualification for the first time since the move from the Fairgrounds.

Teams have never attempted qualification at Oswego?

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 06:44:04 AM »
Some teams have not attended yet, yes.

DMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
Always amazes me that with as many people in this state that hate Cuomo(myself included) how the heck does he get re-elected.I would think that there are enough voters out there to out number the NYC and burb voters, the only people he really cares about .

grandstandslut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
dirt is for farming asphalt is for racing
asphalt is for getting your dirt car to the race track so you can see the best racing there is

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »
Always amazes me that with as many people in this state that hate Cuomo(myself included) how the heck does he get re-elected.I would think that there are enough voters out there to out number the NYC and burb voters, the only people he really cares about .

Again, this isn't the "off topic" section, so I don't want to get too far astray. However, since you mentioned it, I'll just say this. The major cities across the state, are all Democratic controlled, and even if the cities had a poor voter turnout, and the suburbs had a rousing turnout, the cities themselves will still dictate what happens in the state. For that matter, NYC alone, has almost as many residents as the rest of the state combined. And how many race tracks are there in the NYC area??

racermurray

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 04:33:01 AM »
Total agreement Sunny , haven't missed a superdirtweek since the move to Oswego.

Paul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »

There are about 19.5 million people in NYS.  NYC has about 8 million.  When you add in Queens, Brooklyn, Yonkers, Long Island, etc. the totla in that area is about 13 million.  That leaves 6 million or so in the rest of the state.  Add in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, that brings the city (I know, LI isn't a city but it kinda votes like one) population to about 14ish million.  5-6 million of us that prefer suburban or country living can't overcome those numbers.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »
….There are about 19.5 million people in NYS.  NYC has about 8 million.  When you add in Queens, Brooklyn, Yonkers, Long Island, etc. the totla in that area is about 13 million.  That leaves 6 million or so in the rest of the state.  Add in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, that brings the city (I know, LI isn't a city but it kinda votes like one) population to about 14ish million.  5-6 million of us that prefer suburban or country living can't overcome those numbers.

Bingo!!

And this doesn't just apply to motorsports oriented activities, it applies to everything that goes on in this state.

BTW, what ever happened to the dirt track that Glen Donnelly was planning?  Wasn't it supposed to be located a little south of Syracuse?

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
Much like Upstate ever beating out NYC and the surrounding area at the polls, Central New York Raceway Park is an impossibility. Without major funding, Glenn's dream is just that - a dream. Currently that area is being conditioned for Brewerton Speedway overflow parking and camping. It should also be being used for Apple Fest soon, as well.