Author Topic: Why there aren't more race cars on the track.  (Read 8047 times)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Why there aren't more race cars on the track.
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:50:52 AM »
There have been many discussions, over the years, about the ever increasing cost of fielding a race car. None, however, have ever spelled it out. I just received the current issue of 'Speedway Illustrated' magazine in the mail, and it contains an interesting article involving what it costs to purchase a complete, brand new oval track car. In a single work, it's shocking, considering their discussion involves "short track cars", the cars that we see on our local tracks.

I didn't have time to read the entire article in depth, rather I just skimmed it. I'll get back to it either later today, or tomorrow. However, the article laid out a chart that approximated what it would take to purchase a brand new race car, from 4 different divisions, assuming that you A) wanted to start racing, and had some money to fund it; B) you were starting with nothing to "carry over"; and finally, C) you were purchasing "name brand" equipment.

Bottom line, the totals ran from the high $90,000 to the low $100,000 range. Think about that.... a competitive race car, one that we see on our local asphalt and dirt, half-mile ovals, on a Friday or Saturday night, has become THAT expensive. And some who are involved with this sport, wonder why they can draw only 16-18 cars out to the track.....

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Why there aren't more race cars on the track.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:17 AM »
noone has 100k each year when they have life expenses. I was thinking about racing at one point but sorry to say this but IMO racing is dying and not worth the investment unless they bring the STOCK back in racing,

someone needs to pull out the rule books for the rules in the late 80s early 90s and go back to the rules pick 5 divisions and eliminate the rest and all the tracks have the same rules. no bending for one or two drivers bc they whine and want the rules to fit their budget so they can win.

Also racing back in the day you used to race against the clock of the track record and that needs to be brought back as well. Remember Holland had a separate score board with race the race time and the race record.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
noone has 100k each year when they have life expenses. I was thinking about racing at one point but sorry to say this but IMO racing is dying and not worth the investment unless they bring the STOCK back in racing,

someone needs to pull out the rule books for the rules in the late 80s early 90s and go back to the rules pick 5 divisions and eliminate the rest and all the tracks have the same rules. no bending for one or two drivers bc they whine and want the rules to fit their budget so they can win.

I understand your point, but I don't know if going back to 80s-90s rules, would even curb the costs. IMHO, things got out of hand, innocently enough, when "exotic speed parts" like roller cams, dry sump oiling systems, etc, were allowed to creep into the cars, because they opened the door for other parts like "ported and polished" heads, which then stepped up to "CNC finished heads", billet crankshafts, "H-beam" connecting rods, etc, etc,

I got involved, back in the early 80s, after an extended period of 60-70 hour work weeks at my job, when the resultant overtime pay really added up, and was sitting in the bank. I got to know a couple of the folks who were involved in the local racing scene, and thought that if I was a "working class guy", just like they were, I, too, should be able to afford to get involved. One of my buddies suggested that we partner-up, and off we went.

Long story short, we burned through my bank account in very short order, with very little to show for it. Furthermore, the time required to maintain the race car became scarce, as the OT at my job picked up again, although not as massive as before. However, it was made quite clear to me that if I didn't work the OT, "willingly", I would have been out of a job, which then would have really messed up my finances. So a "for sale" sign went on the race car, and that chapter of my life closed for good.

I don't mean to cry, and I'm not looking for sympathy. Those are just the sad facts of life.....

tom89tech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
Owning a race car is like owning a boat. You decide what you want to spend knowing you are not getting anything back

dan19n

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »
being able to race {anything... boats , cars , airplanes,, gocarts  on ahd on.....} is a great expirience. The places you go and the people you meet is the best. Most people just think of an excuse to not race,,,there are plenty of them,,, I think its who you are and how you look at racing that makes it good or bad. You can always think of a reason or excuse for everything.... racing treated me pretty good for many years,, I am grateful and have waonderful memories of the places,, people and racers that I met..... AND raced with and sometimes against,,,,, I don:t regrett any of it.... yes,, it did cost me some important things in  life. You guys will never get   "IT".

canuck5902

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 05:54:25 PM »
Glad you got to go racing but your explanation is bullshIT

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 02:05:33 AM »

To whom are you addressing this comment? Leadfoot?  His story is not unusual, and certainly not bull$hit.  There is only so much time and money to go around, and eventually you run out of one or the other.  He gave it a good shot.

heavychevy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:51 AM »
The downfall of racing is the cost to run a car Simple.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »

Also racing back in the day you used to race against the clock of the track record and that needs to be brought back as well. Remember Holland had a separate score board with race the race time and the race record.

Interesting comment--but who gets to decide the "same rules package"?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »

To whom are you addressing this comment? Leadfoot?  His story is not unusual, and certainly not bull$hit.  There is only so much time and money to go around, and eventually you run out of one or the other.  He gave it a good shot.

Thanks, "bakes"!

"canuck5902", how many race cars have YOU put out on the track??

4b316

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
I think it’s time more than money,it takes much time to field a competitive car. A good boat cost much more money and cost more to fuel and run on a weekend than does a race car(with no breaks)but takes no time to maintain (comparison)even a UTV habit is getting to cost more than a middle class race car then if u have a motorcycle,sled,kids etc.....I just think u have to really want to race to race

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 10:57:23 AM »
I wouldn't question anyone's passion for driving or racing...and especially when it most assuredly tangles with the business of racing because often (especially at the local level) it's blood, sweat and tears and the pocket lint (that often is gone too), all because of the love of the sport. That's the IT.

And where the business of racing meets that passion is where everything either becomes successful or not. Look at the intricacies that need to be in place for it all to work...promoter, rules, track, fanbase, talent, purse, advertising, sponsors, weather (in-season and out of season), competition, general interest in the sport, economics etc etc ad nauseum.  If any one of those things are out of whack the chances of success get stressed.

I'd ask a question as a case study...was Spencer Speedway successful this season? All those factors above were in play, from the very early stage of the season where it looked like it was going to be shuttered. So, if it was successful in 2019...why? If not, why?   I'm willing to bet passion for the sport drove it all....maybe it's a recipe for success in the future for others wanting to get into the sport. Who knows...

moselli

• Rookie
  • Stuff happens 2 days before the day after tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 12:06:38 PM »
Leadfoot's question is one that has been asked many times but not an easy question to answer.  I don't know that answer, but I will offer this.

The economic model for a racing is rather basic and involves three things:  1)  A race facility (Track) ; 2) competitors (Racecars); 3) Customers (Fans). 

All three are dependent on each other for success.  Remove one and the other two fail.  All three have to be in balance economically.

Track
                                                /           \
                                    Racecars _____  Fans

But..... each have their own economic requirements.

1)  A race track must be profitable.  Investing money in a track and breaking even is losing money.

2)  A competitor must be able to afford to put a car on the track.   This economic model is variable, some may be able to afford to race regardless of the cost, some may be able to race and be successful by breaking even.  The last of this group may not be able to afford to race without winning.

3)  The fan is tied to a larger economic model, the first being their personal discretionary income - how much money do they have remaining in the family budget after necessities, for entertainment?  The second being the entertainment value - If the track charges a high admission and the field of cars is small, the fan may opt for spending money on other things.  The value equation is out of balance.

I would suggest that at the present time (and I believe this was true in the past) that the spiral effect is in place.  The tracks are having a difficult time making a profit because the fans are not showing up, because of the slim fields of cars, because the cost of racing for a competitor is high and that the track cannot pay higher purses to the competitors because the fan won't pay the higher price for an admission ticket..

Why aren't there more racecars on the track.  Pick a number.....

Regards,

Moselli

"God gave us family so we wouldn't have to fight with strangers."

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 02:54:57 PM »
Question:  My perception is racing (late models) is alive and well north of the border....yes? no?  If yes, what contributes to the success there vs. here?
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Hollandracer83

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
Question:  My perception is racing (late models) is alive and well north of the border....yes? no?  If yes, what contributes to the success there vs. here?

YES IMO

Canadianfan would be able to explain the logistics better.

To Keep it simple they do not have a ton of divisions like we have here in NY. 5 years ago NYS had 4 cylinders (Dual and SOHC) a Pro 4 cylinders,  6 cylinders ,TQ's, IMCA Mods, Sportsman Mods, ROC MODS, Legends, ROC Late Modes, LAMOT,  NY state Super Stocks , Big ten super stocks, Street Stocks,  and nostalgic group

All the divisions killed racing here. Its time to eliminate more divisions here. It time to eliminate the touring classes for non premier divisions. Its time to have one set of rules one set of tires so that way if you want to have a couple special races for the non touring classes at another track it will make it easy to jump from track to track. Also have a limit on how many tires you can purchase for the year. 

In order for racing to be strong again contraction and similar rules are the best solution for expansion.