Author Topic: The Race Report and Brothers 2  (Read 11372 times)

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
The Race Report and Brothers 2
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »
After a rare Monday night golf rain out, I finally had the pleasure to join Ron Hills's fun time group for some race trivia, good times, and laughs. After being banished from the winning table of Joe Buchek, I got to team up with Mr. Skyline Raceway himself and my old little league coach, Lester Brame, along with a couple other gentlemen. Good food and good times. Can't wait for the next Monday night rainout. Some questions about MASH, Hawaii 5.0, and Blazzing Saddles would be nice so I could participate.   GP
Kareem of Wheet

Openwheels

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: The Race Report and Brothers 2
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »

If I had known that You and Joe were both there, I would have tried to make an appearance too!...  8), I'll have to try and make it some Monday here soon as well, I can help you have the winning team!...  ;D
"Always Remember": A BAD day at the RACES is always better than a GOOD day at WORK!... :-)

"Racecar" spelled backwards IS "Racecar"....

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
WE could have used ya!!!
Kareem of Wheet

The Race Report

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
Glad you were there, Scott!  And it was great to see John and Kathy Cedarborg and Ed Shelp from the Iroquoit Car Club there.  Plus Jim Stilloe, Doc Watkins, and some of the Outlaw 607 group from Skyview Drags.
Mike Monnat did a great job as Trivia Host while Leon and Dolores Andrus were away, but boy, were some of those questions hard!

Who can answer these.......  ?

1. Name the 5 MODIFIED drivers with the most wins at Shangri-la Speedway (the original)  and at Five Mile Point Speedway.

2. Name the 10 race tracks where Don Diffendorf had feature wins.

3.  Name 4 drivers who won in Formula 1 and in IndyCar and in NASCAR (Winston Cup or Sprint Cup)

4. Name the 5 car manufacturers that Richard Petty won in. (Winston Cup)

You could be having all this fun with your friends on Monday night....   plus great pizza and wings....  plus Monday night's special is spaghetti and meatballs for just $4.95.

Brothers 2
2901 Watson Blvd
Endwell

We need Jeff Ackerman, Mel Ogden, Mike Barno, Mike Marrer, Morgan Colegrove, Ray Hodge, Brian Cochardo, Team Stoddard (we miss you guys!), Team Maynard, The 5 Acre Tavern Gang and more.........

The Race Report

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 10:20:03 AM »
Brad, we'd love to see you there!!!

Openwheels

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
Here is the first part of question #1 pretty sure correct:

1.  George Kent   #26 #41 #66 (ect.)
   2.   Richie Evans #61      
   3.   Dutch Hoag #18,7      
   4.   Lee Sherwood #95      
   5.   Geoff Bodine #99,1

out of time right now...sounds like fun Ron, hope to make it sometime soon to trivia...  8)

"Always Remember": A BAD day at the RACES is always better than a GOOD day at WORK!... :-)

The Race Report

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
You're close, Brad.  Here's a hint.....

1. George Kent
2. Richie Evans
3. Dutch Hoag
5. Lee Sherwood

This question includes Tioga Speedway and Tioga Motorsports Park

Openwheels

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »

so, that either gotta be

Geoff  B. if not, Jimmy Spencer or maybe Ronnie Shephard?....
 :)

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 03:53:39 PM »
#1 out of my element... a handful of trips to Shangri La/Tioga Motorsports Park... and Five Mile wasn't on the radar until a couple of trips in the nineties, then worked a season there.
#2: Don won at Shangri La, Syracuse, Five Mile Point, Lancaster, Lebanon Valley, Spencer, Reading, ...that's seven. Thinking maybe at Oswego in a super...that leaves two... wild guess, maybe a big show at Weedsport, Fulton or Fonda...
# 3. Mario Andretti and Dan Gurney immediately...grey hair made me stare at the wall for a bit then remembered Montoya's WGI NASCAR win.
#4. Plymouth, Ford, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and...crap! Drawing a blank. If I had to guess I'm thinking Buick...don't remember a Chevy, but could have run a convertible race with one.

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
I think Diff won a race at Trenton...maybe?

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »
You're close, Brad.  Here's a hint.....

1. George Kent
2. Richie Evans
3. Dutch Hoag
5. Lee Sherwood

This question includes Tioga Speedway and Tioga Motorsports Park
#4) Bullet Bill Strosahl or Gentleman Jim Zacharias?
"Today is yesterday's future"

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Ten tracks where Don Diffendorf has won features:

5 Mile Point
Evergreen
Glen Aubrey
Shangri-la
Fulton
Spencer
Lebanon Valley
Lancaster
New York State Fairgrounds
Capital City (Stilesville, Ontario Canada)

The Race Report

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Ratzo....   read closely......   MODIFIED races.......     The answer is Bill Strosahl.  Jim won a lot of Late Model races.

I'm checking the Diff tracks.

Morgan.....

Richard Petty never WON in a Pontiac.  Olds, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford, and his controversial 200th win was in a Buick.

We need you at trivia.  Pick up the Sharpsteens on the way.   ;D

Andretti, Gurney, Montoya, and......  ?     (Hint:  His nephew's name is Mark Wulff and he rents an apartment from me in Johnson City.)

See how much fun you're missing on Monday nights?  Plus great wings, pizza, and beer.  Great pasta, too.

The Race Report

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »
Jay got 9 out of 10 right.  Diff won at Penn Can, not at Glen Aubrey.
The official source for all of these answers is Michael E Monnat, so if anyone cares to challenge I'll get you in touch with him via text.

UPDATE:  Mike says Diff raced at Glen Aubrey, but he has no evidence of a win.  If you have some info he would appreciate it.  You get credited with 10 out of 10.

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

Morgan.....

Richard Petty never WON in a Pontiac.  Olds, Dodge, Plymouth, Ford, and his controversial 200th win was in a Buick.

We need you at trivia.  Pick up the Sharpsteens on the way.   ;D

Andretti, Gurney, Montoya, and......  ?     (Hint:  His nephew's name is Mark Wulff and he rents an apartment from me in Johnson City.)

See how much fun you're missing on Monday nights?  Plus great wings, pizza, and beer.  Great pasta, too.

Petty's 200th win was in a Mike Curb Pontiac. I have a photo of me standing beside it at the Smithsonian. Friend of mine (a long time Petty fan)  maintains that Petty also won at least two races in Chevrolet's but he's struggling with what season. Thinking 1979 or 1980.