Author Topic: Adirondack Speedway Meeting?  (Read 6682 times)

heroth00

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Adirondack Speedway Meeting?
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
"The New Bremen Town Supervisor has scheduled a meeting open to the public on Monday, Jan. 23 at 7 pm in the New Bremen Fire Hall. Adirondack International Speedway representatives will be presenting their position regarding the future of the track and it's effect on the local business community. All race fans and drivers are invited to attend."

I found this on the track's website. http://adirondackspeedway.com/ 

Is anyone going to this or know anything about it?!

Kreig

bcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adirondack Speedway Meeting?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
Kreig,

I had not seen this notice until you posted it. I don't think that I can get there tonight. Hopefully some of "the racers" will be able to be there in support.

Thanks,
Brent

bcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
To John Flock,

I just tried to call Paul, but his voicemail is full. Do you know if he wants people to come out to the meeting tonight?

Brent

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
Brent,  replied to your message.  It would be appreciated, I'm sure.
John Flock

4b316

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
Went to the meeting last night,wasn't too bad.About 100 people there to support the track.Board did come right out and say that they support the reopening of the track.They also said that their hands were tied right now due to the litigation in court.There will be more meetings in the upcoming months,in fact,the board did say that they are going to meet again in two weeks in executive to see where they could go.Tv was there to record,YNN I think.Keith Zehr was there so maybe he will pipe in.

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
I caught it on the news this morning. Sounds good for AIS. I have my fingers crossed!
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »
It was a good meeting and the folks at AIS appreciate very much everyone who came out.  There were some good moments with many drivers saying they would run AIS again and bring some other drivers with them.  Especially delightful was Walt Van Tassel from Thunder Alley whose comments were quite focused and very supportive of AIS.  His description of the "ridiculous" tax situation* was a colorful highlight to the evening.  The presence of another track owner in this setting could not have been more helpful.  Support was very visible across the crowd from racers to fans to business owners to fellow announcer John Burr.  This was no surprise considering the dedication and loyalty of the racing fraternity.

The AIS staff talked late into the night about our impressions of the meeting.  While the response of the crowd was very affirmative and a great encouragement to us, we're still not quite sure what to make of the New Bremen Town Board.  While each one individually expressed their support for the track to re-open, they were careful to let us know that when it comes to the tax assessment their hands are tied and there's not much they can do.  What does that mean?  If they can't do anything, who can?  AIS has previously heard the same from this Board (long before there was a lawsuit), which is why we're not flying too high at this point.  What is said in public in front of a crowd isn't always what comes out in a private meeting.  We also still have to deal with the Lewis County legislators who I'm not convinced know very much about economic development.  Nevertheless, without the new supervisor in New Bremen, this meeting would have never happened, so maybe something new is in the wind.

I'll try to keep everyone updated a bit better on the website from now on and thanks for your interest and support.

Keith Zehr

* The tax situation that Walt was referring to was the fact that even though it's closed and presently inoperable, AIS is STILL being assessed more than any other short track within a 3 hour radius, asphalt or dirt.

heroth00

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:39:12 AM »
Thanks for the update Keith.

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
There's a good summary in the Lowville Journal & Republican today about Monday's meeeting.  There's no link because as far as I know it's not online anywhere, so pick up a Journal if you don't subscribe.  Tim Ingersoll's comment (not Terry as the article stated) about the Lewis County Legislator Chairman sitting on his hands made the copy as I thought it might.  That one should draw some attention. 

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
The tax situation that Walt was referring to was the fact that even though it's closed and presently inoperable, AIS is STILL being assessed more than any other short track within a 3 hour radius, asphalt or dirt.

Is the tax assessor the only reason the track isn't open? If so, it's a fairly simple fix if you ask me. Give him and his family a bunch of passes for Christ's sake, and get back to racing! :)
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Hey, I wish that would work!  The funny part of that is there are 2 members of the Town Board who claim they've been at the track every night that it was open.  The track owner says he only sees them when he gives them free passes.   :)

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
Just from learning experience, if the neighbor dead across the street starts making noise to the town about traffic, dust, noise and lights, make him a guest of the speedway and let him invite his family.  A noisey neighbor will ALWAYS get his family to sign a petition, saying they can't hear eachother talk when they visit.

So cut their legs out from underneath them. Invite them as honorary guests. Sure, the promoter would like those ticket sales, but the truth is, he wasn't going to get them anyway. Damage control is a beautiful thing. :)
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

longislandmodmaniac

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
When Adirondack had a Whelen Tour race, I came up and stayed at a local bed and breakfast. Spent my money in the surrounding area, helping the local economy.  Now, no races. Guess what?  People don't come and spend money in the area.  Don't they get it? The race track actually helps the economy!!!

AISannouncer

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
Article in 1/26/12 edition of Watertown Daily Times, essentially reprinted from Lowville Journal article minus a few points - particularly those about Lewis County legislators (!).

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120126/NEWS04/701269918

heavychevy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
isnt illegal for board members to accept free gifts?