Author Topic: RIP Gene Hoose  (Read 1778 times)

m2vrace

• Veteran
    • View Profile
RIP Gene Hoose
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
My uncle Gene Hoose passed away yesterday, I miss him already. This guy was a true racecar driver he never bought anything .if he need it ,He built it! He’s the only guy who is in the Hall of Fame at five Mile point being one of the 50 greatest drivers and in the Hall of Fame at Dundee speedway. This guy started 18th or  or worst every night and had the same front bumper on his car for almost 6 year , With almost 400 wins. That’s what kind of race car driver he was he did not need to bump you or move you to get bye ,he just flat out pasts them.  Mary and  Scott You have my condolences and may there be a quarter mile race track with 35 mini modified. In heaven
Michael A Van Dyke

sprintdaddy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gene Hoose
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
Mike, so very sorry to hear about Gene.Will always remember the famous # 10 that he drove to many victories at Dundee Speedway and Dundee Raceway Park.Also want to give my condolences to Mary & Scott and their families. RIP Gene

Walt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »

Rest In Peace Gene
Keith Messenger #66 - Gene Hoose #10 - Dick Messenger #14
TSBLOF.......

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:59 PM »
So sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »
RIP to your Uncle Gene.  400 wins sounds like he took a lot of those guys to the "house", and the woodshed!   Those were the days.  Some of the cars look like VW's and other front engine.  What kind of rules did your uncle run with at Dundee and 5MP?  Sounds like he knew what he was doing. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

m2vrace

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »
This was the beauty of the class they were VW’s,Subaru's,Chevy's,Ford's .Some guys ran midget chassis, some guys ran old modified chassis, Gene Built his out of a Volvo. He massage the Volvo crank and the block to except Chevy  rods and pistons. He made parts that had the Weber carburetors all working in unison. He made his own tools so he could check his own bum steer I never even heard of bump steer in the 70s he wasn't ever satisfied with the car he ran a  independent front end , Then switch the car over to  a coil over car and then a torsion bar all with the same car.He was meticulous at everything he did I remember him spending a whole winter just porting and polishing his head at his Kitchen table.Back then he was the only guy that ran airplane fuel in his car because the airplane fuel has more oxygen in it. I could go on and on and on about the things that he did that were way ahead of their time.
Michael A Van Dyke

m2vrace

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 04:29:13 PM »
 What I loved about the class was that there was so many different combinations that you could run. Bill Clark had a midget with a motor in the back. Bruce Detro  had a midget with the motor in the front.There was  multiple  different  chassis with the VW set up. Some would run the motor in the back with a Ford set up. I know the Subaru had the motor in the front but was front wheel Or maybe even all wheel drive?Dale Plank had a front engine car that was like an asphalt  modified. Larry Doolittle and Mike Latta , Build them like  dirt modified,  with Ford power in the front.  I do believe the limit on the motor was 2300 cc . And anything after that was pretty much wide open.  On YouTube somewhere is a video of them running at five Mile point. It's like an old nostalgia old speedway video. The guy actually walks  around the infield and looks at a lot of cars and they're different styles.
Michael A Van Dyke