Author Topic: RNY Member Lost  (Read 6068 times)

chief57

• Champion
  • NO Weasels
    • View Profile
RNY Member Lost
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
thursday rny poster fogey43 passed on. anyone who knew mr. coveney took to bob instantly. bob also was the animal and flathead track champion this past season. bobs health issues lasted for years but he always had a smile and one heck of a sense of humor as he raced his karts and took in many other events. i always went right to his seating area to find him at shang 2 knowing we would have a good time.
i will always remember him for his driving spirit.
i saw him push himself across the finish line for a feature win with his right hand as he steered with his left after breaking a chain in the final turn at wvmp.
race on in heaven bob, you will be missed here on earth.
You can't buy intelligence, but I can give it away.

SRXtripman

• Veteran
  • Mess with the Bull get the horn .
    • View Profile
Re: RNY Member Lost
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:42:52 PM »
Didn't know him but RIP friend.
IMCA Modified rookie

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:30:20 AM »
My condolences to his family and friends.

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
Sounds like a true champion... RIP
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
R.I.P. Mr. Coveney...
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

MJRKat

• Champion
  • Gettin my Grafix on!
    • View Profile
    • RF Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
RIP Bob..Had a lot of fun racing with Bob at WVMP.. He was a great racer and person.

Gomerpyle

• Racing Genius
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
    God speed sir.
    Kareem of Wheet

mikeman

• Veteran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
    Godspeed

dirts5

• Rookie
    • dirt is for racing asphalts for getting there!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
    R.I.P. Bob

BMR69

• Veteran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
    Bob had the spirit and great attitude we should ALL strive to emulate.... but 99% won't.  He was truly exceptional.  Rest in peace, my friend.

Joe11

• Rookie
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »
    Bob was truly a neat guy...   He had fought cancer for years, it rendered him unable to speak, but he had no trouble communicating!  Years ago I kinda fell into a common trap with Bob, he couldn't talk so I talked slower and louder when I responded to him.   He whips out his ever-present note pad and writes "Joe, I'm not $tupid and I'm not deaf!!"  I immediately appologize and he belly laughs for 10 minutes.  I used to do several odd little jobs for his racing:  a nerf bar here or a bracket welded there, it seems he stopped in 3-4 times a racing season.  He drove cars for Moore's Auto and he was alot sicker than anyone knew.  Last week, just before Christmas, his wife stopped in Moore's and said, "please don't call Bob to drive, he's very ill but he won't say no".  He stopped in Moore's last Friday and asked them if they needed two weeks notice because he needed to resign.  They all said "Gee, Bob, don't worry about it, you just concentrate on your family, we're fine here", he then writes "well I hope so, they tell me I've got about two months left", and he passed 4 days later.....   He never complained, just a classy guy I'm proud to have known.  RIP Bob
    "It's better to be a 'has-been' than a 'never-was'.....  not that I am EITHER!!

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
    • Racing Genius
    • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
      • View Profile
      • Raceannouncer BLOG
    « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
    R.I.P. (Race In Peace), Bob!
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

CheckeredPast

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »
    Happy to say Bob was a fan and friend of mine for years.  He and a group of friends came to the old Shangra la and always came to the pits afterward for a laugh.  I was able to watch him race his kart several times.  He was happy when he ran good, happy when he broke,  it didn't matter, he was having fun.  Rest In Peace Bob.  Wayne Lent

bakes

• Veteran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
    Sorry to hear of his passing.  I knew Bob from up in the stands at Shangri-La and Chemung.  He was a very good guy and more than once cracked up many of us with a well timed jotting on his note pad.  May he rest in peace.

Groundpounder

• Legend
    • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
    I didn't know him, but from what others have posted it sounds like he was a hell of a guy.  R.I.P. Bob.
    "Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
    Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower