Author Topic: whete are the super stocks???  (Read 13398 times)

mcd23

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: whete are the super stocks???
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »
23 Crew, out of curiosity, why weren't you guys at Spencer?  I'm not picking on you, just asking.  A solid answer might help the guys running the deal figure out a way to get more cars.

dynamite52

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
I work a construction job an cant get off work early on fridays...Just last friday nite of race didnt get out of work till 4:30..The friday nite shows r tough for our team...Trust me we would love to make them all..

23 Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
mcd23,   Fair question,    Couple reasons but the main reason. Friday's are tough for us, it's hard to get everyone out of work in time.  And some can't get out of work early enough to make practice.   Friday's are hit and miss for use.   
"For the love of the sport"

GOODGUYSRBACK

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
Your series seems to have been doing better with tech but you need to have equipment to check engines.   I ran your first race last year and the right side tires were junk after that night but that was a year and a half ago and the first shipment of tires you had gotten.  People bitch about tech but at the end of the night if heavy tech is done everyone says "it was a good race" when everyone passes.   Tires and engines are the two most expensive parts.   Think we need a east west and south deal everyone has to run at least two shows in the others territories to be eligible for overall points with bonus for running all races in your group.   I personally like the 1070 tires better b/c they last longer, harder compound and limit how much motor you can have or need.  They are also readily available in east south west areas.  just my tow cents I want this to work for everyone   If you want to talk you know how to get a hold of me.

Chris

dynamite52

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
Everyone has valid points here an the answers are even tougher.I know tires r hard to police.I can say we have had little trouble with the tires.I can understand teams from hours away trying to get tires..I would not want to wait an mount tires on race day.
How ever i wouldnt want to go back an buy new for over 500 a set.I know some of the tracks we run at have tech tools all big10 has to do is ask them for help.Whistler, Tube, check cam lift.an so on...I know the tires big10 r using r supposed to be from lead lap cars an 100laps or so on them ...an then turned in an then we get them...How do we really know that,well we dont. The 1070s maybe a good choice but whos gona control them 100 percent.Whos car did they come from were they treated?I honestly think a chemist could come up with a 1 drop test on tire for any softner....Cause u sure cant tell a racer is tire smells funny....My 2cents fire away my friends.....

#2 Charger

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
If Picking Up Tires Is A Huge Problem, Maybe, Also Have Tires Available In The Rochester Area & Chemung County Area Or Something.

As Far As Teching The Cars, I Personally Don't Like To See Anybody Get DQ'ed Unless They Are Obviously Cheating. I Think A Touring Series Is A Bit Different Than A Home Track Scenario Where You Build A Car For A Specific Track Rules. Adding  Or Taking Off Weight Can Level The Playing Field A Bit And We Have Had Some Competitive Racing So Far.

GOODGUYSRBACK

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
Just curious what is obviously cheating??   You cant check compression without a tool, your eyes don't work.   A harder tire helps level the playing field because you cant put the power down.  Most tracks don't want anything to do with that kind of tech as a series you have to do that with your own people, that seems as why the class lost drivers to begin with.  As far as tires go you don't know what your getting either way.  Even if you ended up with a treated tire, whats the chance you get four treated tires?   They have to be durometered and within reason right? If one guy is 10 points softer on all four????  Or soft on his RR all the time Questionable right  That is why tires have to go into a pile and you get them from there.  I believe rules on engines are close from southern tier to east and west areas.  Racers don't like to add weight and 50# isn't enough to do much taking left side weight would be better penalty.   I don't believe anyone has a cam lift rule anymore do they?   Last race there were cars on used 1070 800 980 f75 just about any tires Hoosier makes and I thought it was pretty competitive.   Rules are only as good as the crew enforcing them..... The idea is to make things simple for tech but unfortunately for engines they is no easy way around it   As a courtesy if you run the series and finish in tech barn guy who finshed behind you gets to be in there when your car gets teched.....jmo   good luck

#2 Charger

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
Limited Slip Differential, Juiced Tires, Stroker Motor, Adjustable Shocks, Etc.

dynamite52

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
Big10 has a 550 max lift cam rule.An good luck lookin at your competitions car in tech...I for 1 dont know y some guys wont remove there hood in tech.If you read the rule book! Everything is supposed to be stock for make an model car your using.

Stallion64

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:16 PM »
I personally feel like the series had a burst of interest in season one. Lots of guys wanted to do it to see what the fuss was about and it was cheap to do. Tires have been a home run... I haven't had any complaints and I know if there was a perfect solution we'd all do it. I do believe this is the best idea right now. The idea was so good that it was copied right away.

The initial idea was to save people a ton of money on tires so guys with cars that sat, would come out...AND for the tire policy to save guys enough money on tires so they CAN upgrade their cars. In year two, it seems that some have used that saved money on their cars and some haven't. I've been really impressed with more than a few cars. It's commitment more than anything else.

In my opinion, the momentum the Big 10 had in year one was amazing and we could've used it to put out a packed 15 week schedule with even more travel. Instead we stayed small and opened up weekends for other options. The open weekends with other options hurt us I think. Guys chose to "save" their cars for other events and that's hurt cars counts by 2-5 cars per event and that makes all the difference in the world.

Friz-B

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »
I aint complaining about tires, probably would have better selection if I showed up on time the weeks I ran the big 10 but nobody has solved the money problem. if we drive to lake erie and say win the race this weekend we still would not come out on top money wise if ur gonna ask us to make an 8 hour round trip ur gonna have to make it worth the drive granted its a great series with a lot of good drivers when our home tack pays just as much every week its hard to talk your self in to making that trip

frontstretch

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »
I get all of that Bill. We wish we could demand more but some promoters don't pay even what they pay their regular SS and some do not want to pay at all. When that happens it is a huge loss for us. There may be a perception by some we are making money on the tires. Nothing could be further from the truth. That just keeps us afloat and now with the lower car counts problems just compound. I believe we can work this out and get back to what we had last year.

Italianracer31

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 10:12:09 AM »
The Big10 was awesome last year. In fact it brought fans like myself to the track just to see them alone.

The series is based on the TIRE, this is what appealed to many. I agree with Larry in that a majority of the feedback on the tire has been positive. Obviously every tire is not going to be 100% equal but it's about as fair as it can be for used tires.

I certainly can understand the issue with having to drive to get tires to not have to buy and mount at the track or to get first pick of the batch. But I really don't see any simple solution to that unfortunately.

From what I've heard...guys came out last year because the tires were inexpensive and they could afford to race and race at places they'd never been able to before. It's not as much saving money on tires to spend it elsewhere as it is to save money simply to make it to the track next week for many of the guys. JMO
I'd rather be racin'...TC31

dINZ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
I've seen people on here complaining about having 2 series with similar rules, but in all reality it needs to be this way big ten is way more south and west and nyss idea was to centralize in the spencer area and try the north tracks out , I'm from up north and some tracks you big ten guys run are just to far away for a guy like me to travel to.I ran one (the first)big ten race just to see how competitive I would be being that I'm the king of running on used up junk and I was mostly happy with the results other than almost launching mancuso over the back stretch wall . I'm trying to support the nyss series the best I can, on a good note at least from my standpoint my local track has adapted rules way closer to nyss rules to try and promote traveling racers it's a start

Big10SuperStocks

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »
Very good points by all. And it was said at one of our drivers meetings and it will always remain true: this series is for the racers and by the racers. Bill has valid points and how could we ask you to travel for equal pay as if I stay home. Totally understood, we really want you to race with us tho. We have also ramped up what we do in tech and how we make public what were doing. I feel as tho that has helped.

Another important thing to say is that Joe Fetz has brought his tire machine to most races. He deserves credit and a huge pat on the back for that. Here's a racer going out if his way to help the series just because he sees a problem most racers have and he cares enough to help.

The Big 10 Series is a family and Joe proves that. Were just looking for feedback to keep improving. The tire and series are both here to stay.