Author Topic: Bristol Crowd  (Read 5705 times)

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Crowd
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 06:55:08 AM »
I do believe that NASCAR as a sanctioning body could step up and tell businesses in the area that they will pull a race if the crowd dwindles any further. For instance, Clint Bowyer Tweeted that he called around after being concerned about the crowd himself and found hotels freely admitting they jacked single night rates to almost triple because it was race weekend, and some that were hit so hard with empty rooms they were taking walk ins at just over $100 a night (affordable). The seat ticket is expensive, yes. But the amenities being out of everyone's price range is what keeps the crowd down at Bristol. 

I stopped going to Watkins for the race when camping went to all reserved spots with or without electric. Curiously, what is the price for reserved trackside with water and electric now at WGI?

And, as an aside, if they put a dirt track there, you can bet your sweet old Aunt Fanny's fanny, I will spend my hard earned dollar there. Just like I do at Oswego. 6 campsites paid for since December 2018.

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
...Wow, the first three paragraphs dedicated to something that never happened. I didn't think so, but I went back and read every word on everyone's posts and not ONE, not ONE person blamed the price gouging of hotels and surrounding businesses on NASCAR......Reading comprehension 101....

...But that doesn't prevent some people from sticking up for the governing body NO MATTER what the problem is or how legitimate the problem, or how wrong they are. But I HAVE read your books before....

....Said person admits he doesn't have the answers but somehow manages to disparage the fans for being "too lazy" to attend races....Yea, that's it......NASCAR literally has dozens of problems but this person picks out something that never happened, offers no solutions, and still exonerates NASCAR for not being the problem.........clueless

2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »
NOWHERE in my post did I post did I attempt to "exonerate" NASCAR.  As with any complex issue, ALL parties involved should shoulder the blame.

My sole point was to directed to those who expect any entity to roll into a private business and tell them to charge less.  It would be comparable to any sports body (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.) to try to use "strong arm" tactics to do the same on game day.  I doubt that racing businesses (such as engine builders, chassis builders or parts suppliers. etc.) would bow down to such suggestions by ANY sanctioning body be they be dirt or asphalt.  Most people should understand the economic principle of "free enterprise", especially if they own/operate their own private business

"Other said person" clearly demonstrates his knowledge of the concept of implication.  It is evident as he uses it throughout his response.  Plus, I would point out that posts 11 and 12 specifically mention places of lodging.  Care to join me in reading comprehension, then? Perhaps "other said person" might want to read the ENTIRE thread before launching barbs at his favorite target who was merely offering his own opinion.  It's also curious that "other said person" offers no real solution himself!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
...Go back and read posts 11 and 12 yourself, genius.....While they mention price gouging, they don't pin the blame for that on NASCAR.......Reading Comprehension 101
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
...Go back and read posts 11 and 12 yourself, genius.....While they mention price gouging, they don't pin the blame for that on NASCAR.......Reading Comprehension 101

Once again, fellow genius:  implication...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »
...Once again, they didn't make the implication, you did.......genius

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
SMH...

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »
Well... I for one am flummoxed. 

More empty seats at Bristol than fans.  Now I find out that while Darrel Waltrip was boggitying and waving the green flag for the start, the seating section named in honor was closed for the race because of the lack of fans.  That just ain't right, if only for the handful of DW fans out there.

Everyone says they don't watch NA$CAR anymore but there is more chatter about why they don't watch NA$CAR than there was when everyone was watching.  I suspect some fibbing going on here.

All of the pundits talk about the decline and the metrics that confirm this decline, yet on April 4, 2019, International Speedway Corporation (ISCA - NA$CAR) announced that the first quarter results for 2019 showed revenue of $150.9 million which was an increase over the same period in 2018.

ISCA Stock price today is $43.44.  Kodak is $2.86.  ISC today, April 11, 2019 announced a dividend increase to shareholders which is 4.3% larger than the dividend paid in 2018.  Kodak dividend - make a closed fist, open it and see what you have.

Empty seats, no one watching on TV yet NA$CAR continues to make a profit.  This has to be the most amazing business model ever.   I'm flummoxed.....

Respectfully,

J. Langford Ratzsonelli
"Today is yesterday's future"

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
To my way of thinking the racing has left the track and gone way too much on what happens in the pit during stops. It has gotten to the point that the tire changers are more of a factor than the driver. It all started with the closing of the pits, cars bunching up before stops and way to many rules and penalties. Then there is always stupid things like lucky dog etc. There is also the factor of the Goodyear tires that are a constant failure just about every week. Program needs to get back the way it was 25 or 30 years ago and do away with all the BS.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
I put together some comments, yesterday, clicked on "post", thought my comments  were posted, but right at that time, my laptop also happened to "hiccup", so it appears that my post either is lost in cyberspace, or wound up in some other, unrelated, place. Nonetheless....

I don't think that NASCAR can, or should, attempt to dictate what hotels, restaurants, and other peripheral businesses should charge their customers. America is, so far, a free country. HOWEVER, what they could do, is remind these businesses that they need to think "long term". Give the customers a "shafting" this year, they might not be back next year, and the year after. They need to keep in mind that the fans come to see a race, not get a colonoscopy.

With respect to TV coverage, yes, the ability of the sports broadcasters to place dozens of cameras around the track, in the race cars, in the pit boxes, on the crew members headbands, etc, has actually made it much easier to follow the race from the TV in your home. When in person, especially on the big tracks, no longer do the cars fly by in one particular order, and come back around again in another, and you missed the "big pass for the win". At home, you see it all.

And "herm", you make a good point. I agree that too many race outcomes are decided in the pits, ESPECIALLY now that NASCAR has put the crews under a microscope. THAT is crazy, when a driver gets penalized because a just removed tire goes 2 feet beyond the changer's arm reach.....