Author Topic: Attn Webmaster: Something Broke On This Site Recently  (Read 1827 times)

35mmracer

• View Profile
Attn Webmaster: Something Broke On This Site Recently
« on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
I used to come here simply by typing "raceny.com".  Then about two weeks ago, that stopped working.

1) If I type "raceny.com", it tries to go to "https://raceny.com/smf" and gives this 404 error:

"The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

2) If I try the fully-formed "www.raceny.com" , it tries to go to "https://www.raceny.com/smf" and gives the same error as above.

3) The only way to get the site to work is via:  "https://www.raceny.com/smf2/index.php"

This occurs on two different browsers: Firefox and Opera.

I have Firefox set up to clear the cache each time I exit. I also deleted the one raceny cookie as well as all raceny entries in my browser history, then shut down and restarted.

Just before these problems starting occurring, I did see (just once) a totally different look to the forum layout.

Did you move to a new server or update the underlying code?  Is possibly something amiss with your .htaccess file?

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Attn Webmaster: Something Broke On This Site Recently
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »
FWIW, I haven't had any issues..........

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 01:12:34 AM »
Yes, there was a problem. The redirect was changed and was pointing to the wrong directory (that didn't exist).  I am responsible for the screw up, but it's fixed now.  Thanks for reporting it though.

35mmracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 06:54:20 AM »
Yes, there was a problem. The redirect was changed and was pointing to the wrong directory (that didn't exist).  I am responsible for the screw up, but it's fixed now.  Thanks for reporting it though.

No problem - thanks.

Another website I follow (on a totally different subject) folded about a week before that, and I was afraid that this had done the same.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
Yeah, forums are dropping by the wayside. Damned social media.

But, as you saw a few weeks ago, we're in the process of making some changes here to hopefully make the site more user friendly...both via mobile and desktop.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
If there is a need to attract newer or younger fans (and, there obviously is!) things have to change...while we much prefer to stay in our "comfort-zone" and leave things as they have been, much more user-friendly cell-phone apps are the"New normal" for younger fans...it's not as easy as one might think to develop "apps"...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 06:59:06 AM »
If there is a need to attract newer or younger fans (and, there obviously is!) things have to change...while we much prefer to stay in our "comfort-zone" and leave things as they have been, much more user-friendly cell-phone apps are the"New normal" for younger fans...it's not as easy as one might think to develop "apps"...

True, but are these new "apps" going to be more difficult for we older fans, who in many cases, still use a laptop to access the internet?

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »
I say leave well enough alone,if it aint broke don't fix it.We need RACENY now more than ever.I cant believe hardly anyone posts on here anymore.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 08:49:24 AM »
We've put a lot of thought into all of it and concluded that while improving the mobile experience may attract younger fans to participate, we still needed to provide a great "desktop" experience overall.  We intend to accomplish both.

Social media appears to have a "drive-by" messaging component to it, Forums need some thought to discuss topics.  Not sure how to bridge that gap but allowing easier access to RNY is a step forward, and that's our goal.