Author Topic: Chemung corner flaggers  (Read 14190 times)

todd52modified

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Chemung corner flaggers
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
If they need assistance with the Fire extinguishers, i can have someone there this week. 
DID I mention I still have my suit.........

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
It was brought up in a driver meeting 2 weeks ago about fire safety and it was thrown under the bus with o we will check into it. The track has limited fire extinguishers availible and was told there is some that are empty. And they have no purple k which would be needed for a gas fire with racing fuel.

Please pardon my ignorance but doesn't Mother NASCAR have minimum standards at their locally sanctioned tracks? 

Inadequate fire safety seems ..( excuse me  ::) )  rather rinky dink too me.   
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 06:57:40 AM »
If they need assistance with the Fire extinguishers, i can have someone there this week.
I trust someone will make good use of this offer...
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
From NYS DOH:

800.24 EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR AMBULANCE
SERVICE
All ambulances in an ambulance service shall be equipped with the
following unless exempted pursuant to section 800.25:
(a) Patient transfer equipment consisting of:
(1) wheeled ambulance cot capable of supporting the patients in the Fowlers
position;
(2) a device capable of carrying a second recumbent patient;
(3) a device enabling ambulance personnel to carry a sitting patient over
stairways and through narrow spaces where a rigid litter cannot be used.
The requirements of paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subdivision may be
satisfied by use of one combination device capable of both operations;
(4) all litters and cots used to transport patients shall be secured using crash
resistant fasteners. The ambulance shall be equipped with securing devices
such that two patient carrying devices can be simultaneously secured; and
(5) ambulance cots and other patient carrying devices shall be equipped with at
least two, two-inch wide web straps with fasteners to secure the patient to
the device and the cot.
(b) Airway, ventilation, oxygen and suction equipment consisting of:
(1) a manually operated self-refilling adult-size bag valve mask ventilation device
capable of operating with oxygen enrichment, and clear adult-size masks
with air cushion;
(2) four oropharyngeal airways in adult sizes;
(3) portable oxygen with a minimum 350 liter capacity (medical "D" size) with
pressure gauge, regulator and flow meter and one spare cylinder, medical
"D" size or larger. The oxygen cylinders must contain a minimum of 1000
PSI pressure;
(4) an in-ambulance oxygen system with a minimum 1200 liter capacity (two
medical "E" size) with yoke(s), or CDC fitting, pressure gauges, regulators,
and flow meters capable of delivering oxygen to two patients at two
different flow rates of up to 15 liters per minute simultaneously.
(5) four each, non-rebreather oxygen masks, and four nasal cannula;
(6) portable suction equipment capable, according to the manufacturers
specifications, of producing a vacuum of over 300 millimeters of mercury
when the suction tube is clamped. This will meet the 800.24(b)(7)
requirement if equipped to operate off the ambulance electrical system;
(7) installed adjustable suction capable of producing a vacuum of over 300
millimeters of mercury when tube is clamped; and
(8) two plastic Yankauer-type wide bore pharyngeal tips individually wrapped.
(c) Immobilization equipment consisting of:
(1) one full size (at least 72 inches long and 16 inches wide) backboard with
necessary straps capable of immobilizing the spine of a recumbent
patient;
(2) one half-length spinal immobilization device with necessary straps capable of
immobilizing the spine of a sitting patient;
(3) one traction splinting device for the lower extremity; and
10NYCRR-800
7/20/2016 Page 29 of 32
(4) two of each of the following size padded boards, with padding at least 3/8
inches thick:
(i) ) 4 1/2 feet by 3 inches
(ii) 3 feet by 3 inches or equivalent device
(iii) by 3 inches or equivalent device
(5) one set of rigid extrication collars capable of limiting movement of the
cervical spine. The set shall include large, medium and small adult-size rigid
extrication collars which permit access to the patient's anterior neck; and
(6) a device or devices capable of immobilizing the head of a patient who is
secured to a long backboard.
(d) Bandaging and dressing supplies consisting of:
(1) twenty-four sterile gauze pads 4 inches by 4 inches;
(2) three rolls adhesive tape in two or more sizes;
(3) ten rolls of conforming gauze bandages in two or more sizes;
(4) two sterile universal dressings approximately 10 inches by 30 inches;
(5) ten large sterile dressings 5 inch by 9 inches minimum;
(6) one pair bandage shears;
(7) two sterile bed-size burn sheets;
(8) six triangular bandages;
(9) one liter of sterile normal saline in plastic container(s) within the
manufacturer's expiration date; and
(10) roll of plastic or aluminum foil or equivalent sterile occlusive dressing.
(e) Emergency childbirth supplies in a kit, consisting of the following sterile supplies:
(1) disposable gloves;
(2) scissors or scalpel;
(3) umbilical clamps or tape;
(4) bulb syringe;
(5) drapes; and
(6) 1 individually wrapped sanitary napkin.
(f) Miscellaneous and special equipment in clean and sanitary condition consisting of:
(1) linen and pillow on wheeled ambulance cot and spare pillow, two sheets, two
pillow cases, and two blankets;
(2) four cloth towels;
(3) one box facial tissues;
(4) two emesis containers;
(5) one adult size blood pressure cuff with gauge;
(6) stethoscope;
(7) carrying case for essential emergency care equipment and supplies;
(8) four chemical cold packs;
(9) one male urinal;
(10) one bed pan;
(11) two sets masks and goggles or equivalent;
(12) two pair disposable rubber or plastic gloves;
(13) one liquid glucose or equivalent;
(14) six sanitary napkins individually wrapped; and
(15) one penlight or flashlight.

(g) Safety equipment consisting of:
(1) six flares or three U.S. Department of Transportation approved reflective road
triangles;
(2) one battery lantern in operable condition; and
(3) one Underwriters' Laboratory rated five-pound U.L.-rated ABC chemical fire
extinguisher or any extinguisher having a U.L. rating of 10BC.
(h) Pediatric equipment consisting of:
(1) pediatric bag valve mask, equipped with oxygen reservoir system;
(2) clear face masks in newborn, infant and child sizes, inflatable rim (or mask
with minimal under-mask volume) to fit above;
(3) two each nasal cannula, and two each oxygen masks including nonrebreather
in the pediatric size;
(4) two each oropharyngeal newborn, infant and child size airways;
(5) sterile suction catheters, two each in sizes 6, 8 and 10 french;
(6) two sterile DeLee type suction catheters #10 or modified suction traps, or two
small bulb syringes;
(7) one sterile single use disposable oxygen humidification setup;
(8) child and infant size blood pressure cuffs with gauge(s);
(9) one rigid extrication collar in pediatric size;
(10) one pediatric stethoscope (interchangeable type acceptable);
(11) one commercially prepared infant swaddler.

If a patient is being treated in an ambulance without the above then it is not in compliance with NYSDOH and can lead to issues with the State.
Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

RustyDodge

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »
Good point from SpeedFreak, but with this being said, the ambulance at the track is not an Abulance Service.  This is a transport/equipment vehicle for the EMT's on site.  The real fact I believe is this is Chemung FD coverage area where they should be called first.  The Chemung Abulance would then use GVEMS as mutual aid.  A 10-11 minute responce time is not that bad.   I am sure they have some agreement between Chemung and GVEMS. I know at least one of the EMT's at the track and I can say she is  very good at her job.  I can speak of this from being an (past) State Certified NY/PA EMT,  a NYS  Certified Senior EMS Instructor,   a NYS Certified FD Training officer for more years then I care to remember.

As far as extinguishers 2 or 3 should handle most fires that would occur there.

JMO

Way 2 Lo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Good point from SpeedFreak, but with this being said, the ambulance at the track is not an Abulance Service.  This is a transport/equipment vehicle for the EMT's on site.  The real fact I believe is this is Chemung FD coverage area where they should be called first.  The Chemung Abulance would then use GVEMS as mutual aid.  A 10-11 minute responce time is not that bad.   I am sure they have some agreement between Chemung and GVEMS. I know at least one of the EMT's at the track and I can say she is  very good at her job.  I can speak of this from being an (past) State Certified NY/PA EMT,  a NYS  Certified Senior EMS Instructor,   a NYS Certified FD Training officer for more years then I care to remember.

JMO
IMO...There should be ample fire extinguishers (and personnel) strategically located to immediately attack any type of fire that occurs.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
JMO - every race car should have this as standard equipment.   Before you say it is too much for low budget or any team I will ask you what costs less?

Fire suppression system
Helo flight to trauma center
Skin graft
Funeral

Topgogracing

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 12:17:15 PM »
This statement would likely result in a death sentence for some unlucky driver in the event of a bad fire. Any track without proper fire fighting equipment and the trained professionals to use such should NEVER be allowed to operate.  Period no excuses allowed.  Anyone who has ever witnessed a big fire at a race track knows how quickly things get out of control even with the simplest incident.

itchypav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
Warning: Sorry for the graphic video but this demonstrates WHY.   From 1990 sprint car

DO NOT WATCH without being prepared -  Driver sustained burns over 70% (Trapped for a little over 90 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DMNr2zQzko

todd52modified

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »
Wow, tragic.  shows that everyone needs to be prepared, from drivers, crew members and track workers and track owners.With that being said, I believe John has done some work with his extinguishers..... According to my sources
DID I mention I still have my suit.........

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 04:39:47 PM »

JMO

I don't have an investment in this (other than being a long time safety freak) but... as another track learned the hard way a few years ago, if that "equipment vehicle" still says AMBULANCE on it, frontwards or backwards, it falls under the jurisdiction of the NYSDOH, and in their opinion is a clandestine Ambulance Service operating without a certificate of need and illegally operating in another Ambulance Service's territory. I'm not being critical, and I think the way the Speedrome is handling EMS response matches how a number of other tracks have successfully operated for years. What I am saying, is that if the lettering is still on that rig, somebody better get to scraping...soon.

papa-bear-72

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
I told myself I would not respond to this again, some have told me to quit reading and without a doubt stop responding to race ny. Well I have decided they are right but for one last time I will clear up some rumors and some information that some feel the need to post as fact that is not even in the ball park. Randy Davenport who supplies the wrecker service weekly at Chemung has 3 well trained fire and rescue guys with him on the wreckers every Friday night. They are well equipped with fire extinguishers and knowledge as to how to deal with a fire. There are also in 2 fire extinguishers in the white push truck and at least 4 more in the pit area. Most if not all crews carry some kind of fire extinguisher and that too is a big help. If there are any Drivers, Crew Members or fans concerned about the safety at the track, feel free to contact myself or John White anytime, that's how things get fixed, not spreading a ton of nonsense on this site. As far as the ambulance, it is well equipped, we went through this last year and our great EMT staff assure us that they have what they need to be effective. The biggest tool they have is knowledge, they are state certified and again very well equipped, Most of what I read on here are comments by people who would jump at the chance to say "i told you so" that is sick. to fix the problem, first, look and ask for the truth, then if there is an issue, it can be fixed. Getting on raceny and bashing something you know very little about is again, SENSLESS and only hurts racing. You are all free to bash the track all you want. I will no longer participate and defend what we do on this site. If anyone ever has questions or concerns, pick up the phone, make a call, again myself or John White are very assessable and are always open to listen when there are issues.  Thanks for all of the good posts that support local racing and its a dam shame that a few have to come on here and just lie because they can. Lies and non factual rumors are killing this sport and we all play a role in one way or another. I'm off and over raceny and all the nonsense, take care and get out and support your local short track.           
Ray Hodge:  Race Director Chemung Speedrome

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
Ray, hope you're not taking my comment negatively. Honestly don't remember if your rig says Ambulance or not. This post jogged my memory about going head to head with NYSDOH years ago. Wasn't fun, and we very nearly got fined. Info only to save the track problems. If any questions about our experience, feel free to pm me. As stated, there are a number of tracks who utilise a non transport on site care rig and if the response time of the transport rig is within limits it works well. In the time it takes for the transport rig to arrive, the on site team has responded, evaluated, documented, extricateed, stabilised and packaged. Care begins within seconds of the incident, and the only thing left is transferring the patient to a transport rig. Most negative critiques come from people with little or no experience with Race Rescue or patient care. That said, don't write off those posts. Criticism, warranted or not, serves to make those of us that care question ourselves, and that can be a tool to make us better. Hope to make it back down to my favorite tar car track a couple more times before the end f the season. See you then.

PEEWEE

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
 I USE TO BITCH ABOUT THE RESPONCE TIME OF VOLUNTEER FIRE AND SAFETY CREWS UNTIL ONE DAY A PERSON ASK ME WHY I WASN'T ONE AND I RESPONDED THAT I COULD NOT DEDICATE THE TIME THAT IT WOULD TAKE TO BE THE BEST AT IT.SO YOU PEOPLE THAT SET AND WHINE ABOUT THEM ASK YOUR SELF " WHY AM I NOT ONE OF THEM"

AND THANKS TO MORGAN AND THE THEN WOODHULL STAFF AS THEY HAVE SAVED MYSELF AND MY BROTHER A FEW TIMES FROM BEING BURNT AND BUSTED UP

jimmy consi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
For what its worth the many times that i have been to the track (only 1 time this year) the response times to wrecks haven't been a problem. Always seem to be very well orchestrated.imho.