Poll

What do ya Think about a 604 Crate Sprint Car Class?  

Sounds like a good idea! it might work! i'd be willing to watch or race .
28 (52.8%)
Big dollar sprints are the only way to go.
25 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????  (Read 16583 times)

Casper60

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Asylum Motorsports Group
Re: What do ya think about a Crate 604 / Sprint Car Division????
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »
525 crate,aluminum block, internally balanced, $8800, requires over a1000 cfm carb for full potential, at 7200 RPM. Don't know if they can last at that RPM.

Your facts are a little off. They can be had for as little as $7000 new. They do not require a carb that big to reach full potential, and they are designed to run at 6700 rpm. Being that they are a true race engine, they can pull 7200 all day long, but they stop producing power around 6700-6800 rpm mark.

I have one with what would equate to about 4 seasons of dirt track racing on it and other than regular oil changes and 1 valve spring change, we did nothing to it and on it's final dyno pull, had lost less than 1% of what it had right out of the crate.
Daryl Barrett

www.c60r.com

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
The CSRA 305 Sprints handle this task well.

Jack Gunn had a class of "Sportsman" that were sprint cars, small block engines, with starters.

Those two ideas should meld well - 305 Sprints with starters.

JMO
John Flock

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
They still run them at a few tracks. They are called Super Sportsman. Ugliest cars I have ever seen. A sprint car with a wing thats only about about 2 feet wide.
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Like we need yet another class of cars. This is my opinion... if we started dumping all of these half thought out new classes that never quite caught on, we'd start filling up the remaining classes again because if you are hell bent on racing, you'll figure out a way. Racers are going to race. They'll just pick the class closest to their budgets, and race there.

If I asked everyone here whether they liked Coke or Pepsi, everyone would pick a brand. But the shelves are loaded with others... so someone is buying it or they wouldn't make it. Racing isn't any different. People will pick alternate classes if they have those options, and that's how fragmented fields are invented. If you want full fields again, pick one street stock class, one sportsmen class and one modified class. If that's all people have for options, they'll pick one and race.

One more thing before I quit. I'm tired of people complaining about starterless sprint cars and thinking they waste too much time. Start timing your modified classes and compare them to your sprint car specials. When a modified get a flat, they draw the yellow to repair it. And why is it that modified drivers can never remember where they were when they yellow came out? Even the one way radio is useless here because someone will contest their restart position every time. Add all that wasted time up and the modified class triples the amount of wasted time that sprints do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:38:20 PM by Half Fast Bob »
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

thewackyracer

• Racing Genius
  • I'm here for the racin, not the reckin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »

I like coca cola, and racing. Anything with an engine.

m15mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I didn't read any posts, and here's what i have to say...305 sprints! too late already have a limited/low dollar sprint class. I supply parts to plenty of 305 racers who build their own engines. They have less money in a home built 305 than what it costs to buy a dumb dumb engine...Oops i mean a create
Race hard or DIE!

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
I didn't read any posts, and here's what i have to say...305 sprints! too late already have a limited/low dollar sprint class. I supply parts to plenty of 305 racers who build their own engines. They have less money in a home built 305 than what it costs to buy a dumb dumb engine...Oops i mean a create

If you don't read any posts, how did you know the discussion was on the 305 sprints and crates were mentioned?
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

m15mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
UM, The sprints are covered 410, 360, 305. They are open for all to compete as racing was intended. If you can't afford to race a 305 sprint don't do it. Race something that you can afford. Go kart, street stock, bicycle, etc.
Create engines are a promoters dream...The car costs the same or more, tires cost the same, gas/alky costs the same, pit passes cost the same, crash repair bill is double. So where's the catch????? PAY OFF. Build a create dummy and we will pay you 1/3 of what we pay the open cars.
Racing does not need another series of low paying slow as hell cars.
Race hard or DIE!

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
UM, The sprints are covered 410, 360, 305. They are open for all to compete as racing was intended. If you can't afford to race a 305 sprint don't do it. Race something that you can afford. Go kart, street stock, bicycle, etc.
Create engines are a promoters dream...The car costs the same or more, tires cost the same, gas/alky costs the same, pit passes cost the same, crash repair bill is double. So where's the catch????? PAY OFF. Build a create dummy and we will pay you 1/3 of what we pay the open cars.
Racing does not need another series of low paying slow as hell cars.

::)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:53:42 PM by uticamike »
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

racerbob10

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
See Utica-think the problems are just in mod land- racin is screwed up in all classes! :)

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »
I don't see any Sprint org. That is hurting for cars  but if they do start a crate class 604 or a 525 would put on a good show crates on dirt are far better than crates on asphalt.

racer110

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
I don't understand the point of a 604 or 525 spec engine class when you can build a good quality competitive 305 for around 7 grand.  If you can't afford a 305 deal then you probably shouldn't be running a Sprint car.
Roger Lewis

Thunderfied

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
Any race car or division with a crate motor or spec motor sucks. Just ask Bridgeport Speedway in NJ. Bridgeport is close to shutting down after moving from Big Block Mods to crate Mods. They average about 200 fans a week now with the crate Mods. 

CARNESRACING

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • carnesracing
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
Couple more sponsors and i would be in... I love the crate! I would def be interested in racing somewhere in a sprint style car.
Good times are spending Saturday's Bronco-Bustin The High Banks of Holland!