Author Topic: difference in GM starters .?  (Read 31863 times)

One Time

• View Profile
difference in GM starters .?
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »
  I have a '77, 350 SBC. The starter is an angle bolt. I can't get a starter that fits the flywheel. It's an automatic And no matter what starter I try it just hits on the edge of the ring gear. Autozone has given me 3 starters and all the same problem.?? I have been a Chevy guy all my life and never ran into this before.?  Is there a rogue starter that I can try..? It's not an offset flywheel, and it's on the right way. Damn can somebody help us..?

frontierjoe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Frontier Graphic & Signs
Re: difference in GM starters .?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
how many teeth are on the flywheel?

dirttrackrocker

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
I had a similar problem once. I think I ended up getting a starter for a 68 Camaro
If you're driving on the edge... You're trespassing on my property!!!!!!!

mvinson_17

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »
DTR is right.   Your block should have 3 starter holes. The angle holes are for a truck starter with the bigger flywheel.  The smaller flywheel takes a starter with one long bolt and one short bolt and the holes are inline.   My advice is either buy an aftermarket starter.. they are adjustable to which ever flywheel you use or get a truck flywheel.   I've got a half dozen truck flexplates if your close to troy, pa

One Time

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:11:17 AM »
I will be going back to the shop Mon. and I will check on the holes like you say. I think there is only 2 but, I'm not the brightest bulb of the bunch. I'm excited to think that might be the problem.!  If you're right then, "Thank you mvinson & DTR.  Damn bless you.!  I think the teeth on the flywheel isn't the problem, the starter just doesnt extend far enough for anything but the edge of the teeth to engage.

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »
I can fix that, I'm located about 2 miles east of RIT in henrietta, reply here

jiggyracin46

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:52:10 AM »
Sounds like its a 153 tooth fly wheel that some one put on there from a 1985 and older 305 with a 2 piece rear seal. So if you want it to start notice the difference on starters from a 77 chevy 350 and. Let's say 82 monte with 305. Each flywheel will bolt motor to motor but require 2 different starters.

frontierjoe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Frontier Graphic & Signs
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 08:27:54 AM »
I will be going back to the shop Mon. and I will check on the holes like you say. I think there is only 2 but, I'm not the brightest bulb of the bunch. I'm excited to think that might be the problem.!  If you're right then, "Thank you mvinson & DTR.  Damn bless you.!  I think the teeth on the flywheel isn't the problem, the starter just doesnt extend far enough for anything but the edge of the teeth to engage.

the reason I ask is because there are different flywheels. Jiggyracin46 said it correctly. Count the teeth.

Sodus Mike

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Not all blocks have three holes, some have only the staggered two bolt pattern. If you have a 153 tooth flywheel / flexplate I don't think you're gonna find a starter that will line up. Also you need to know that not all racing starters have 2 sets of holes . If you only have two holes in the block , get a starter line it up with the flexplate and drill and tap the other hole , hope this helps.

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
FRONTIER is right. sounds like you have a 153 tooth flywheel,if you can find a parts store with someone that knows what they are doing,you can get the correct starter,as the used to list them as 153 tooth or 168 tooth.try a napa store,that might help.

Sodus Mike

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
One time , any updates how'd you make out ? I really like this thread because it can really help people and I'd like to hear more about what you ended up doing.

wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »
The small (153 ? tooth) flywheel took a straight bolt pattern starter. The big (173? tooth) flywheel came with diagonal bolt pattern. (You can just go to a mini high torque starter & it has 2 sets of holes in it & fits both.)

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
you need a 168 tooth flywheel to fix the problem,angle bolt pattern was stick shift for truck or high per. manual,change the flywheel/flexplate to 168 tooth.

ask0329

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
I have a 168 tooth flywheel like new on the shelf and pretty sure I have a hi torqe angle bolt starter thats basicaly brand new as well on the shelf if anyone needs them. Had them on my 400. They both probably only started the engine maybe 5-6 times and half of that was in the garage.

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
400 flywheel wont work on a 350,wrong balance,400 & 454 is the same,all other small blocks will interchange.