Author Topic: NYS Fairgrounds Show  (Read 4818 times)

pitslug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
NYS Fairgrounds Show
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
I went back to the show for the 1st time in several years. I am VERY glad they still have something like this but I fear they won't for much longer. What I got for my $24.00 admissions for 2 people took me about 1/2 an hour to view. Yes I saw some beautiful cars, but "real" vendors were few. I guess the internet has killed off the need for the trade show. I still like to touch and feel what I am buying. I did actually spend about 1 1/2 hours there but that was just catching up with people whom I haven't seen in several months. -- I'm not really bitching, I just wanted more !!     I'm frustrated with the whole thing.

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NYS Fairgrounds Show
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »
The fairgrounds turned its back on racing when it did away with the mile. Why some racing people still want to support the fairgrounds is beyond me.

Modules

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Herm,  Your short sightedness does not hurt the fairgrounds one bit.  It only hurts the local race teams and tracks  who you actually turned your back on.  There was a lot of nice looking race cars on display that people spent a lot of time on so they could show them off to the race fans. A lot of the local race tracks had booths set up for people looking for schedules or just some info. Real race fans went to the show because they actually know this is about the racers and local tracks, NOT the fairgrounds..

T20won

• Veteran
  • TEAM 20 RUSH Late Model
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
I have not supported the Fairgrounds since the mile has been gone. Why should I attend and give my $$ only to have a portion of it go back to the fairgrounds for rent of the facility. Unless they donate the facility for the event I have no intention of attending. It's time for a new venue for the show.

Phil Knapp

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Given the ooportunity to attend a glorified "mall show" or race for some cash, we went to race. I don't care how good the cars looked at the Center of Progress building. If they don't go on the track what's the sense of having them.

And I can order from most of the vendors on line.

pitslug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
I agree the Fairgrounds is an issue. The only nice thing I can say about the NYS Fairgrounds is the location is the best for the "whole state".
I think the lack of vendors is generally driven by the sales/cost  vs  sales/website cost.  But the Fairgrounds is not friendly to vendors, they charge them an arm and a leg for the space. I was involved with a vendor during the NYS Fire Chiefs Show several years ago and the booth costs and banner costs were 2-3 times what other venues charged. Too bad, they could have a good thing going but they take an attitude of our way or the highway. As you can tell the Chiefs show is no longer there.

buckshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
Fairgrounds has nothing to do with what vendors are charged at Motorsports Expo. Building is rented by Motorsports Expo and they determine what to charge vendors.

pitslug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »
That's a different set up than the chiefs show used to be., but I'm glad to hear it.

ask0329

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:21:29 PM »
Probably been said before but heres my take. Move the Parts Peddler show, (the one in the fall), to March and combine with the motorsports expo. Theres no need to have two shows.

You get all the cars you want to see, you get all the parts suppliers, you get the manufacturers, the tracks. One true race show. More along the lines of PRI.

Orange18

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
The fall show is always on opening day of deer season?????? How many people who enjoy motorsports hunt deer???

Chriszak7

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:37 PM »
There is still a race track at the fairgrounds. It has racing 2 times a week. Friday nights and Sundays. It is a really nice quarter midget and microd track. Alot of your heroes got started there and it still is stocking your support classes with young adults today. Check it out sometime.

old man

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »
that's how we got started--was great fun!  Also free to watch and they have a great concession stand too--well worth going.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:52:20 AM by old man »