Author Topic: 602 crate motor distributor problem  (Read 4729 times)

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
602 crate motor distributor problem
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
can anybody tell me if they are having problems with the module's going bad in about 2 weeks, and  if so what has been the fix, or maybe we are missing something? have lost 2 in the past 2 weeks. battery is new, alt. putting out correctly, any ideas,thanks. 

MBM76

• View Profile
Re: 602 crate motor distributor problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
I have had defective tachometers short out and kill modules. Also make sure your motor has a good ground, if your battery grounds goes to the frame or the cage, run a ground from the motor to the frame. When you replace the module make sure you put a good coating of heat transfer grease on the bottom of it. And use a good quality module, I have had cheap aftermarket modules from parts stores go bad in a short amount of time.

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
any problem with the rev limiter affecting the modules? just asking, trying to cover everything. this is a dirt crate sportsman, teo rubber mounts.thanks.

MBM76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
I have never had a rev limiter itself short out and damage a module, but I have seen wiring going through the firewall rub and short out causing all sorts of weird issues.

imca77

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
thanks for the input,we'll look at everything,thanks again.

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
I have had defective tachometers short out and kill modules. Also make sure your motor has a good ground, if your battery grounds goes to the frame or the cage, run a ground from the motor to the frame. When you replace the module make sure you put a good coating of heat transfer grease on the bottom of it. And use a good quality module, I have had cheap aftermarket modules from parts stores go bad in a short amount of time.

I would only add, the brand called ProComp seems to have more than it's share of issues, Tachometers are a big problem, I would leave disconnected. Good info from MBM76.