Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 556114 times)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2010, 01:49:52 AM »
My DAD

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »
Hi Dale..Who was in the #44?
In response to Half-Fast Bob...Glider City Sports Arena sat across Seely Creek from where your picture is centered...Larry Mc related earlier that you needed to drive through the creek to get to it. It is now "entombed" under the Sothside correctional facility...In regards to Bob Fuller being a promotoer, I don't think so. The owner/promoter was Howard Tidd. I think Bob Fuller was just promoting the sport as his articles always have news of stuff happening at other tracks...no self respecting promoter would do such a thing...that would be like shooting yourself in the foot!
I'll get more of his articles on soon...very neat stuff.
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Half Fast Bob

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2010, 04:48:24 AM »
So, Let's go to the races Sunday, July 13th 3:30. Incidentally we have a minature train and a baby sitter for the kiddies while mom and dad watch the show. The track is off Caton Ave. directly soth of Robert St.

See You at the Races

Bob Fuller: Flagman

Glider City Sports Arena sat across Seely Creek from where your picture is centered...Larry Mc related earlier that you needed to drive through the creek to get to it.

Shame on Bob Fuller for not including this minor detail.  :-X

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:53:11 AM by Half Fast Bob »
If they can have artists, pianists, florists, dentists and bicyclists... then I must be a racist.

YetAnotherDW

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:56 PM »
Hi Dale..Who was in the #44?
In response to Half-Fast Bob...Glider City Sports Arena sat across Seely Creek from where your picture is centered...Larry Mc related earlier that you needed to drive through the creek to get to it. It is now "entombed" under the Sothside correctional facility...In regards to Bob Fuller being a promotoer, I don't think so. The owner/promoter was Howard Tidd. I think Bob Fuller was just promoting the sport as his articles always have news of stuff happening at other tracks...no self respecting promoter would do such a thing...that would be like shooting yourself in the foot!
I'll get more of his articles on soon...very neat stuff.

Bob,  I think maybe it is Frank Chapman
Darrell
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Darrell Welty

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »
I think the#44 is Ciff Peirce.Chapman drove a red #4 .

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:51 PM »
I think I figured out where Drive-In Speedway was... I found information tonight that says it was in Pennsylvania (Fassett). it had to have been in pennsy as it ran on Sundays (this was during the BIG fight over Blue Laws and the ban on all Sunday racing). Anyways...It was  6.1 miles below Elmira and 1/2 mile on the right JUST over the state line. There is a "driveway" there and a short hop to a spot that looks like it could have been a track...I'll investigate it this weekend. The really interesting thing is that the promoter for Drive-In Speedway was Howard Tidd, the same fellow who ran Glider City 8 years later...Oh..and I think the name Drive-In speedway had nothing to do with The Roxy Drive-in...It was because you could watch the races from your car!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Tangletongue

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2010, 05:54:33 AM »
99% sure that the 44 is Cliff... Claychamp, if you look close, you'll see a much younger version of me sitting to the right of the pole, about midway down the grandstand... every Saturday night in those days. Neat pics.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:11 PM »
I think this might be the Drive-In Speedway..It's in this vacinity.
The winner of the first race was Bob Edwards.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
That's Cliff Pierce in the #44. Here's some action shots I've posted before. All by L.O. Duncan.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:07 PM »
again by LO Duncan

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:09 PM »
Ny Dad walks back to chat with another driver.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »
Tipped her a little too hard!

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2010, 05:40:46 AM »
That #60X is nonother than the Flying Milkman Kenny Moore.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »
Bob Fullers collumn from the August 24th, 1958 edition of the Elmira Star-Gazette.

With The Stock Cars...Bob Fuller

Fun, Excitement for Novice Drivers

Bucky Dew made his first appearance last week at the Southport track, driving a sports car for Gil Frisbe. Bucky drove No. 7 for Howard Tidd Friday at Angelica N.Y. He is top point man at Waterloo. he says he will be a regular driver in Elmira from now on.

The late Harold Morse of Troy, PA. used to have No. 99 on his car. Since his death in 1952, while driving at the Los Angeles Raceway in California, the local tracks do not permit a car to use his No. 99. In fact, it was on the 99th lap of a 100-mile feature that his car lost the right rear wheel and went out of control.

This is how "So You Want To Drive A Stockcar" works at Chemung Speedrome every week:  Anyone interested in driving a stockcar in a race with other amateurs is given a ticket. On these tickets they put their name and address and drop them in a box at the jucges stand. At intermission time the Queen of the Speedway picks out five tickets and those people whose names are on the tickets are called over the public address system.
   These people are then furnished with a Class B car, helmet and are fastened into the seat by safety belts. The promoter pays their entrance fee into the club and they are signed in under protective insurance. After they are briefed on the art of racing, they are allowed two laps to get used to the car and then lined up for competitive racing. Bunched together and in pairs, they take one more lap and come down (nervously) to the starter for the green flag.
   Once the race has started they seem to react the same as every other race driver does and that is to get out in front and stay there. No one has gotten hurt and there is fun and excitement for both the fans and participants, and the winner is held over and has a chance to compete again next week. No one has won twice in a row yet.

Todays Races at Glider City Sports Arena will include a 30 lap mid-season championship in the Sportsman Class. The roll over expert, Dick Lewanduski, will once again roll a car off a ramp.

Meet The Driver...Bobby Jaynes

Bob started driving at Corning, along with most of the other beginners. He drove a '36 Ford for the Ferris Garage of Elmira and was one of the high point men for two years. As a matter of fact, he has been among the top ten high point men every year he has raced.
   Other tracks at which he has raced are Oswego, Naples, Glen Aubery, Wellsville, Airport Speedway, Bath, Doty Hill (near Fassett, Pa.), Olean, Cuba, Chemung, Selingsgrove, Pa., Glider City, Elmira and took the feature race  the last time he appeared at Angelica.
   At the present time, he is one of the top contenders in the modified class at Chemung Speedrome and Glider City Sports Arena. He drives car No. 1, a 1934 Ford Coupe with a 1955 Ford overhead motor. He is half partner with his next door neighbor, Charley Knowles, and estimates they have more than $900.00 in the car.
   Bob served two years in the Navy during World War II overseas in the South Pacific. He is a well liked, happy-go-lucky type of guy and is considered an old timer in the racing game. He is 31 years old and resides on Ridge Road in Horseheads with his wife "Jenny" and their four boys. The fourth boy was just born on Aug. 14 and Bob says he now has a full pit crew.
   Bob is sole owner of his own business called the Ridgeview Dairy and gets up every morning at 4 a.m. to make his usual milk run.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »
I went on an excursion into PA today...Scratch the trailer park and the image I had posted as possible sites for Drive-in Speedway...They aren't quite far enough from Elmira...(6.1 miles)..I'll try to get a little more info and try again. I thought I might have found it today, but I'm just not sure. They're seemed to be one "banked corner, but only the one..Anybody out there know anyone fron Fassett Pa. who's been there forever?

In the meantime, found some stuff at the library today..the first is an ad for Chemung. This is from the first year Chemung ran and shows Bill Perkins, Don Shaw and Bucky Dew
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com