Author Topic: Things that go *bump* in the night...  (Read 3252 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
Things that go *bump* in the night...
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Strange lights in the sky...engines roaring...tires squealing. And it's 1:45AM....

If you live anywhere near Kodak Park and heard the whining engines and saw the wild light show last night, don't be alarmed. Further investigation today revealed a secret race series is filming in the parking lots and around the old industrial complex of the park. A curious onlooker peeking over the fence told RaceNewYork that he heard this is a new TV series being filmed for Netflix. A large RV with the words "ULTIMATE RALLY RACING" sat in the paddock area which is located less than a couple hundred feet from the parking lots behind the California Brew Haus.  Real slick painted up cars sat there with stacks of tires ready for mounting while mechanics scurried about prepping cars for the next evening session.

There's a skid pad with motorized lights that must create a light show while the cars do burnouts or doughnuts in there. The entire course is lined with concrete jersey barriers and run-off areas...and it has digital read-out boards for timing etc. all around the track along with more of the motorized lighting that must follow the cars around the track. A peek over the Lake Avenue fence revealed a fountain looking area that has many mechanized light projectors shining on it...which must be the reflections showing up in the clouds above the park last evening.

Not sure the neighborhood is ready for this but they did run until 1:45AM Saturday morning!  A RaceNY member who lives nearby said it was awesome to sit outside and listen to. No spectators are allowed near the track but just driving by on Ridge Road West or Lake Avenue will raise your curiosity levels, too.

So, if you are driving by the Kodak Park area after dark, you now know what all the hub-bub is all about. Or not...it's a secret after all.  ;-)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that go *bump* in the night...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:47:59 PM »
Maybe we can bring that permanently to Parcel 5!   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »
Not if our "lovely" Mayor doesn't agree with it!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Not if our "lovely" Mayor doesn't agree with it!

My previous comment was referring to "Parcel 5", which probably won't be anything else than what our "lovely" mayor wants it to be...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »
I could say that I remember when downtown Rochester, NY, was a thriving urban area. But if I did, then everyone would know how ancient old I am.....

rg23

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
Good for Rochester.  Go Amerks!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Ya know what's funny about this? The neighborhood people complaining about the loud noise truly couldn't tell the difference from all the OTHER loud noise in the area (motorcycles reaming 10K RPMs and muscle cars burning rubber on Lake Ave). Just more of the same....  ;D

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:04:28 PM »
And I'm 100% sure that all the former Kodak workers, who USED to enter and exit those parking lots, around the clock, due to rotating shift work, did it without making one solitary sound.....

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 07:27:13 PM »
I could say that I remember when downtown Rochester, NY, was a thriving urban area. But if I did, then everyone would know how ancient old I am.....

Age is only a number, I remember when the city was safe and thriving also, a little more ancient  :).

Just for kicks look up the promise program, it's still in effect and it will really open your eyes. Lets see how long this post remains up. 

oneill71mod

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
Lol ... right on John  :)
No “I’m not interested in owning a track or promoting your series 😀”

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:35:07 PM »

Age is only a number, I remember when the city was safe and thriving also, a little more ancient  :).

When I was growing up (relative term), I lived on the east side of Rochester, in the Culver Road, Empire Boulevard area. When I was about 15-16, several of my buddies and I took the bus downtown, to visit 'Jay's Record Ranch' (anybody remember that place?). We got a little stupid, buying a boatload of 45s, then realized that we couldn't come up with bus fare to get home.

Well, we did what we had to do....we walked home. WOULDN'T TRY THAT TODAY!!!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
We did the same! 1968...saw Bonnie and Clyde at the Paramount Theater on Mortimer Street (the RKO around the corner was boarded up by that time). Spent all our money at the Cigar Box novelty store too (Jay's was upstairs I think)...and snuck on the 10 Portland behind the lady who worked at a local A&P...she was a BIG, BIG woman, the bus driver never saw us!  ;D

We went over to the parking lots behind West Ridge Road last night to see the spectacle...crazy light show as the cars race. And they have a large drone that flies above with green and red marker lights...thought it was a UFO!!! LOL... And, there was constant traffic of curious onlookers that police were shooing away...

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »
We did the same! 1968...saw Bonnie and Clyde at the Paramount Theater on Mortimer Street (the RKO around the corner was boarded up by that time). Spent all our money at the Cigar Box novelty store too (Jay's was upstairs I think)...

Yeah, I remember the RKO, on Clinton Avenue. I think the first "date" I took to the movies, we went to see 'The Graduate', and it was showing there. Went on a Sunday afternoon, because I didn't have a "night drivers license". To the best of my recollection, Jay's was two storefronts north of the Main and Clinton corner, where the Fanny Farmer candy store was right at the corner....under the HUGE Genesee Beer billboard, with the big image of "Genny the Beer Girl"....

Something I don't under stand...the website censor. In my previous post, I used the word for dumb, that begins with the letter "s", and the site replaced it with asterisks. Why?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
Been like that forever...it's a list of *bad* words. Since at least 2010 we've tried to keep people from using foul language and inflammatory words. Of course, if someone wants to get by it, they do.  :P