Poll

In your opinion How should lap money be distributed?

Every lap to the leader
Rotating through the top five in order
random draw out of top 5
random draw out of all positions

Author Topic: When giving out lap money, how should it be distributed?  (Read 5060 times)

JhardingJr

• View Profile
When giving out lap money, how should it be distributed?
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Not sure if anyone has asked the question before before, Thanks for your input on the matter.

Salukifan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Ted's Racing Photos
Re: When giving out lap money, how should it be distributed?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »
Most times it is at the descretion of the sponsor of the lap.  They may want to give it to the leader or to another position.  I think if they are putting up the money their wished should be honored if possible.

JhardingJr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »
Most times it is at the descretion of the sponsor of the lap.  They may want to give it to the leader or to another position.  I think if they are putting up the money their wished should be honored if possible.

Definitely agree with that myself.  Always honor their wishes first.  I'm Just looking for a general consensus on where people like to see it go.

roblaskowski99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
Jerry

I do it all random at Holland everyone can use the money, the way I see it is that most of the time the guy at the front does he need that more than the guy running 15th or last usually not.  I try and get bonus money from people for other things: last car on the lead lap, lap leader bonus, first car out, guys that don't make the redraw, heat race winner, etc.  No matter how you do someone is always going to have something to say or a reason they don't like the way your doing it, I feel there is no right or wrong way.

ridecar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »
I did the lap sponsorship for a few years for the Empire 100 for Street Stocks at what was then known as Black Rock Speedway and lap 1 money went to the leader, lap 2 money went to the second place car, lap 3 money went to the third place car and so on down the line. And then start over again when you reach the end. It was a lot of work afterwards because you had to go over the score sheets after the race and it was quite time consuming. However, the reason I quit doing it was becasue the last time I did it not one driver said thank you to me when I handed them their money. If they don't thank me then I'm sure they weren't going to thank the sponsor either. Lesson here is, a simple thank you goes a long way.
"FROOT LOOPS"

justmark

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • WNYRaceZone - Western New York Racing News
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:22:01 AM »
Many places just give it to the lap leader. After many years of giving it to the leader at the Race of Champions, it then became a random draw between the top three drivers of each lap at the Oswego R.o.C. a handful of years ago though.  The lap money was divided in a random draw between the drivers running in the top 15 positions of each lap for many years at Elegant Builders Raceway Park/Lancaster for the U.S. Open events or other events there with lap money involved. It depends on who is in charge or makes that decision.
Captain History
FOAR SCORE Club Historian

"Life's too short, man"

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle: Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson

RPark

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:02 AM »
jr i lead every lap at raceway 5 in a $1000 to win race and did not recieve no lap money. was not very happy since i sponserd 3 laps. they broke the money down and gave it to every body else. they need to come up with a different way of saying what you are donateing the money for. had lots of fun with your dad over the years. hopefully i will get to the race and have a beer with  ya . hows the kids and wife doing ?? talk at ya later.

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:10:29 AM »
The original intent of lap money was to give drivers an incentive to race for the lead throughout long distance events. Some venues pay half of a given lap's money to the leader and the other half to a random car. If you do a random draw, a car that gets lap money should at least still be running and not already retired from the event.
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving" - Karl Fredrickson
Distrust all men in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. - Friedrich Nietzsche
We are descended in spirit from revolutionaries and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. - D. Eisenhower

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »
I'm with GP--leader only...unless sponsors deem otherwise (hard luck, half-way leader, etc.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:44:30 PM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Torpedotom

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Epic Ventures Motorsports Group
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »
There are several asphalt races that do a "lucky 10" or 12 or whatever #style. The payout positions are determined at random before the race for each lap. That way the leader as well as 10th place have a chance at some extra dough. Racers have repeatedly said thanks for that. Also, donors wishes come first as well ex: I like donating to something meaningful to me like a specific position on a certain lap, farthest traveler, tow money for non-qualifiers, as well as giving to the general pot
Tom Fecteau
I've got a lot of stories and a few of them are even true. I've just forgotten which are which.

Turn5Podcast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Turn 5 Live Website and Archives
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
Brett Deyo goes back through the Top 7 at all of his Dirt Modified shows and I think that is great!  Not all the way back which would be tough to figure out scoring-wise but gives the guys who have done their homework and running up front a shot at decent coin for running there.

I know it's not the only way to go about it, but props to Brett for doing it his way and giving back through the field- but not getting too crazy with it.

We have sponsored laps before and will do it again.  Hey Ridecar, you need someone to collect laps this year?  8-)
Turn 5 LIVE
"Your dirt track racing home for news, results, discussion & driver interviews"
Co-Hosted by Steven Ovens & Clint Miller
Every Tuesday night on the Performance Motorsports Network

www.performancemotorsportsnetwork.com
Facebook- www.facebook.com/Turn5Live
Twitter: Turn5Live

herm

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
Im with the guys that say give it to the leader. The reason for lap money is to create a real incentive to lead every lap of the race and not lay back making the race a better show. If anyone wants to add the the purse in ways that allow donations for sponcoring laps or other methods of donations to help the drivers out that does not give it to the leader, that is fine, but dont call it lap money.

Turbo01

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
It's nice to give the guys in the middle of the pack a bone once in a while, but I have to agree, it should be incentive to want to lead every lap. I do agree that it should be at the sponsors discretion.

NHModfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
For the SBM 125 at Star I do half to the leader and half to another top ten car by draw on each lap. It's a lot of work, but as you can see from the payoff in last weekend's race it's great for everyone- the fans, the leader and it also is incentive for drivers to race hard to stay in the top ten. It is still the same incentive to lead the race as proven in SBM IV, as drivers race hard for the lead on every lap. All help make for a better race for the fans.