Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1827284 times)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #1260 on: December 20, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
#A17.... Benito Mariotti....Mid-State?
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1261 on: December 20, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
#A18... This last one is Bert Owen... is this Lou Cicirello w/ him?  Maybe Cuba Lake?
Thanks guys...looking forward to hearing your responses
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 20, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Jay... I turned 10 that summer and it was the last year Dad raced on a weekly basis, against Ed and the rest of the Street Stock class at Shangri-La. I remember Ed getting faster that year and showing improvement.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago.  Hey, didn't I read once where you said your dad tried out a supermodified a couple of times?  This past weekend I was doing some photo scanning and stumbled across this photo in a Gater Racing News dated August 22, 1969.  I thought it might be your dad.  Looked like a pretty rough ride.  Flipping on pavement is never good.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: December 20, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
#A18... This last one is Bert Owen... is this Lou Cicirello w/ him?  Maybe Cuba Lake?
Thanks guys...looking forward to hearing your responses

#A18 of Bert Owen was taken at Shangri-la.  That's the original grandstands in the background so my guess is it was taken in the 1950's sometime.  Those old stands were deemed unsafe and condemned by the village of Owego in the later half of the 50's decade.  They were burned down by a local hot rod club so drag racing could take place on the front stretch.  Not sure who the person is shaking Bert's hand.  It could be the flagger or race promoter.  Shangri-la's owner Bill Owen promoted some stock car shows in the 50's.  Not sure if that's him though.  The track was leased to a number of different promoters back then such as Al Richardson, Carol Clark and Fred Bronson to name a few.

Also, #A13 the Chuck Akulis 131 picture was taken at Shangri-la too - somewhere around 1967 or so.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:17:04 PM by Jay Mooney »

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: December 20, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »
For those that don't know of this site, you might enjoy it. >> http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=174989&page=380
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: December 21, 2010, 07:04:27 AM »
Jay... I turned 10 that summer and it was the last year Dad raced on a weekly basis, against Ed and the rest of the Street Stock class at Shangri-La. I remember Ed getting faster that year and showing improvement.
Hard to believe that was over 30 years ago.  Hey, didn't I read once where you said your dad tried out a supermodified a couple of times?  This past weekend I was doing some photo scanning and stumbled across this photo in a Gater Racing News dated August 22, 1969.  I thought it might be your dad.  Looked like a pretty rough ride.  Flipping on pavement is never good.
Thanks for the photo Jay! One I had never seen of my father. Dad did race a Super for Herm and Stella Graf, at Oswego weekly, and special shows at Pocono, Cayuga Canada, and Fulton too that I just discovered! Thanks so much!
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: December 21, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
Jay,I was helping him on his car then and I do remember that.It was a good job for your age and having to use white shoe polish.

About Eddie being my brother, actually he's my cousin,but that's ok.We had alot of people who thought we were brothers because of the same last name,and the way we always hung out together.
Ron Doebler

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: December 21, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »
Blckjackracing,Jay was right about the picture "A13"being taken at Shangri La the 60 car is Dave Offnick.
Ron Doebler

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »
About Eddie being my brother, actually he's my cousin,but that's ok.We had alot of people who thought we were brothers because of the same last name,and the way we always hung out together.
Sorry Ron!  My bad.  I guess I knew that.  I'm just getting old and confused.  ::)

Here's some more pictures to keep the thread going...

The first photo is pf Bob Page's "Hinman's Creek Engineering" #87 driven by Jerry Hayes following Bill Strosahl (#15) and Don Diffendorf (#S/360) at Shangri-la in 1967.

The second photo is of Mike Zopp (John Manny's 10-10) after losing a bout with the turn four wall at Brewerton Speedway in 1967.  Brewerton experimented with Sunday night modified shows that year.  The feature winner on this night was Jerry Hayes.

The third photo is the aftermath of Don Yeingst's (Wes German's #04?) blown engine at Shangri-la in '67.  Benny Stephens is the other car caught up in the wreck.

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: December 21, 2010, 10:17:24 AM »
Thanks for the photo Jay! One I had never seen of my father. Dad did race a Super for Herm and Stella Graf, at Oswego weekly, and special shows at Pocono, Cayuga Canada, and Fulton too that I just discovered! Thanks so much!
Here's one more for you that I found last night.  I believe that's your dad in the #74 dodging a spinning Dave Lape #22 and Ray Sitterly #C-88 at Utica-Rome Speedway. This was from a Gater News dated June 5, 1970...

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »
WOW!!! I can't thank you enough Jay. To see Dad in that photo with Dave and Ray is just a reminder to me that I had the most wonderful childhood. That is the car of Dad's I am currently restoring. Please post anymore photos of Dad if you find them!
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: December 21, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Sorry Ron!  My bad.  I guess I knew that.  I'm just getting old and confused.  ::)

Here's some more pictures to keep the thread going...

The first photo is pf Bob Page's "Hinman's Creek Engineering" #87 driven by Jerry Hayes following Bill Strosahl (#15) and Don Diffendorf (#S/360) at Shangri-la in 1967.

The second photo is of Mike Zopp (John Manny's 10-10) after losing a bout with the turn four wall at Brewerton Speedway in 1967.  Brewerton experimented with Sunday night modified shows that year.  The feature winner on this night was Jerry Hayes.

The third photo is the aftermath of Don Yeingst's (Wes German's #04?) blown engine at Shangri-la in '67.  Benny Stephens is the other car caught up in the wreck.

Thanks for the pics Jay - some of my favorite childhood memories in those three.  I can still see Mike Zopp waving to us kids from that exact car in my mind's eye - the first time I remember being at Shangri-La back in 1967. 

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: December 21, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
Look at those BIG FAT Firestones. Yee haa.
"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
For those that don't know of this site, you might enjoy it. >> http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=174989&page=380

That's QUITE a site!!  Someone turned me on to it about 6-7 months ago, when it was "only" about 250 pages..... took me about 3-4 hours to get through it to page 250, and by then there were 12-14 more!

For the Troyer fans out there, there are some GREAT pictures of the black, #17 'Bandit" around pages 260-270....

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »
Jay, As I have thought more about those photos you posted of my father, I realized their significance, to me anyway. The first one, from the August 22, 1969 Gater, was a month or so after the day I was born, July 12, 1969. I was born late in the morning on a Saturday. Mom knew Dad was getting itchy all afternoon, so she told him to go ahead and go if he wanted, so off he went to Shangri-La. The second photo, from the June 5, 1970 Gater, was a about a month before Dad had his bad accident at Oswego in Herm Graf's Super, July 4th weekend, 1970. Dad was out the rest of the year and went back to driving Modifieds full time in '71.
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust