Author Topic: 1st Annual SOCK OUT CANCER® Parade Sets New Record  (Read 312 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
1st Annual SOCK OUT CANCER® Parade Sets New Record
« on: August 05, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
 1st Annual SOCK OUT CANCER® Parade Sets New Record

Records are made to be broken, and the 1st Annual Sock Out Cancer® parade set goals for future events to aim for.

“I am pleased to announce that the Sock Out Cancer Parade raised $4,000, which will be distributed equally to the Foundations of Lourdes Hospital and UHS for assisting their cancer patients who need help paying for non-medical needs such as food, housing and transportation,” said Security Mutual Life Chairman and CEO Bruce W. Boyea. “I had a wonderful time, and I am honored to have been the Grand Marshal of the event.” Each participant entering the parade received a pair of brightly colored Sock Out Cancer socks, symbolizing the fight against cancer in all its forms and helping raise public awareness of the financial challenges facing families fighting cancer. 234 vehicles participated in the parade, 10 of which were motorcycles.

“The Sock Out Cancer parade exceeded all expectations,” said CHOW Director Les Aylesworth, “and the non-perishable food donations from participants and spectators will provide around 900 meals for those in need in our community.” CHOW provides thousands of meals each year, and their resources have been strained to the limit as a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Those who wish to help these worthy organizations can do so by contacting Sock Out Cancer at sockoutcancer.org, and CHOW at broomecouncil.net. CHOW is operated by the Broome County Council of Churches.

At 9.4 miles long, the 1st annual Sock Out Cancer parade became the longest parade on record in Broome County, eclipsing the 3-mile-long Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus parade held in 1920.

Two months ago the Sock Out Cancer parade was just an idea in the mind of event organizer Bob Connelly as a way for the hundreds of area car lovers to safely get out while benefiting the community. “With so many car shows cancelled,” said Connelly, “this was the best way I could think of to get rid of our cabin fever while still maintaining safe social distancing.” All participants wore masks when required and complied with local and state regulations.

“I believe that this should become an annual event here in Binghamton,” said Bruce W. Boyea, “and I believe that Sock Out Cancer parades can benefit communities across our country.” Discussions are underway to map the future of these ideas.

“I was honored that Bob Connelly invited me to help get the word out to the media and car enthusiasts through the area,” said Ron Hills, host and producer of The Race Report television program on WICZ-TV. “I can’t begin to thank everyone who lent their support to this event, but I need to give special recognition to Bobby Likis, host of the award-winning national radio show Bobby Likis Car Clinic, heard every Saturday morning on WNBF AM 1290. I would also like to thank WNBF radio’s Doug Mosher, subbing for the vacationing Bob Joseph on WNBF’s Binghamton Now. Doug had either Bob Connelly or me on Binghamton Now every day leading up to the parade. And my thanks to Gary’s U-Pull-It for providing two rollbacks which served as elevated platforms for the television crews.  A special thanks also to; WBNG-TV; Rosanne Sall Advertising, Inc.; and the many volunteers who made this event possible.

Photographs and video of the 1st annual Sock Out Cancer parade are available at https://www.facebook.com/TheRaceReportTV/videos/1547981432075132/

Sock Out Cancer®, LLC, is wholly owned by the Security Mutual Life Foundation, which is a New York 501(c)(3) public charity. Deductible charitable donations may be made directly to Sock Out Cancer, LLC, or to the Security Mutual Life Foundation.