Author Topic: need help on tilton 3 disc clutch  (Read 3813 times)

boxscar15

• Rookie
    • View Profile
need help on tilton 3 disc clutch
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
I have this clutch in a vintage modified,it has a hydraulic t.o. bearing ,i cannot get it to release completely.I,
've had the engine and trans out 3  or 4 times. any help would be appreciated, THANKS Joe

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: need help on tilton 3 disc clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »
Joe, put some 1/8" washers between the trans case and the bellhousing that will slide the trans back from the engine, if it shifts ok then you at least know the bearing is taking up too much space.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »
I had a Tilton 3 disc unit in a modified back in the mid-80s. I was using a Ford truck hydraulic slave cylinder to actuate a regular clutch fork/throwout bearing. It seemed that whenever I took the engine out of the car, I had to go through all sorts of gyrations, in order to get the clutch to engage/disengage properly. In my case, I had to go through the entire process of adjusting the actuator rod, between the slave and fork, 2-3 times, before it would "settle in" and work properly......

boxscar15

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
John & Leadfoot, THANKS for your help,I think both of you will understand,I'm done messing with this thing,I'm going to put a stock clutch in it(still have  to use  a hydraulic t.o). Now I need a stock 153 tooth flywheel THANKS again Joe