Author Topic: ------purestock exhaust???------  (Read 4063 times)

gbrown88B

• Rookie
  • 2012 Penn Can Speedway Factory Stock Champion
    • View Profile
------purestock exhaust???------
« on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »
i recently put headers on my purestock. they are 3" outlet. i had 2 straight pipes bent and flared to fit over my headers. i wanted 2 3/4" but ended up getting 3" outlet on my straight pipes. i have been told by some that it will be fine. others have told me it is too big and wont have enough back pressure. 1 person even said it could ruin my heads. what do u guys think???  ??? ???
Downtown Georgie Brown

frontierjoe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Frontier Graphic & Signs
Re: ------purestock exhaust???------
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
You'll be fine. If you want your car to make hp, then open the exhaust. If you want to make torque add back pressure by closing it up. It won't hurt your heads or anything internal. I ran open headers for many years. I have had 3 inch  on my street truck for 7 yrs including cat and mufflers and neither have had any problems. The only thing that will hurt your heads is improper installation, or your occasional internal parts failure. I would suggest making sure that your timing is correct and set properly. Don't make any mistakes with that cause you could burn a piston or overheat and blow a head gasket. I would run what you have now. If you feel your lacking torque then maybe ad a step down before the mufflers.     

gbrown88B

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »
i didnt know that i needed mufflers? are they required or just a good idea to have?
Downtown Georgie Brown

frontierjoe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • Frontier Graphic & Signs
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
5 mile and some other tracks require them in the general rules. It won't hurt to have them. They quite down the car as well and let you hear other things as well. Some people run them some don't. I like having them after years of open headers.

mommafour

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
you will be fine

ron.m

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
You need to check your rule book.Because of the town noise ordinence they mite have a muffler rule Not all tracks have one but alot are going to it
Past pit director  South Arcade Speedway ,Genesee Speedway,Back Stretch flagger South Arcade Scales and Tech Spencer Speedway Worked for Alan Johnson and Danny Johnson ,Tom Weist.Erin (Doc) Smith ,Dave London Name Ron McLaud boscoe168@yahoo,com

wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
The big pipes will be fine. You may need to squeeze them into an oval shape if it bottoms out (prob in the middle)

gbrown88B

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys! no rules on noise at the track i plan to run so i dont think i am going to put mufflers on. and i did have to slightly flatten one spot on each pipe to tuck them up in so i dont bottom out. thanks again guys! really looking forward to my first season on a v8 rear wheel drive car! should be interesting!   ;)
Downtown Georgie Brown

mommafour

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
you will do good.