Author Topic: 2013 southern tier street stocks  (Read 14410 times)

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
2013 southern tier street stocks
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
just out here trying to get racers opinions on a rule that i feel should be changed. now i know that the class and the rules are a bit overstretched but lets face the fact that to change the complete rule system for the division would ultimately kill off an already dying class. with that said im just looking for insight on this one particular rule. so lets keep the negative comments to a minimum..
                     shocks:Steel bodied shocks only, must be Non-adjustable, one per corner, mounted in stock location for type of car but can have fabricated rear upper mounts particularly on cars with rear frame sections replaced. Steel bodied after market shocks with welded heim joint ends are allowed on the rear only but they must be mounted in stock location, must be non-adjustable, Front Shocks must be stock type and in stock location.
     now this is all i purpose, i feel that the stock mounted front shock in these cars is a problem more than a helping matter....reason being is that i feel with these roll overs we have had throughout the 2012 season i believe we have gotten to a point that these cars need some better suspension response from the front corners of the cars. these shocks do not have enough throw to be able to maintain the movement that exists in the front of these cars....my thoughts are to be able to run the shock outside the frame rail would allow us to use a longer travel shocks with better handling rates,thus stopping bottoming out and to have a shock rate that can handle the spring rates we are choosing to run. also in this matter is price...when i had the car that denny and cody drove for me in 2010/2011 we replaced these stock mount shocks at least 4 times from either bottoming out or rubbing on a spring cup so i also feel that we would be saving money by moving to an outside the rail front shock...now i know that some of you will try to run away with this and say that we need jackin bolts and this and that,and that is the nature of the beast,but please realize that im not looking for that. just trying to keep these cars stable and contollable as we keep figuring out ways to make them faster......any insight on this matter is much appreciated and also looking forward to a awesome 2013 season....have a good winter....thank you Matt hayes

Walt

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 southern tier street stocks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »
Matt, Black Rock and Skyline already allows for this type of shock mounting. I believe I88 also does along with most ROC Street Stock races. While were on the subject of changes - I would like to see - better bracing in the cages and better safety tech. All tracks have gotten very laxed on safety over the last 10 or so years. And its not just the cars that need to be look at better, It's the drivers fire suits, head & neck restraints, gloves & helmets. If the tracks don't start looking at some of the un-safe stuff there allowing - then I believe the state will. I really don't think we want that to happen.
TSBLOF.......

thelegend30

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • DelGrosso Brothers Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
Matt, Black Rock and Skyline already allows for this type of shock mounting. I believe I88 also does along with most ROC Street Stock races. While were on the subject of changes - I would like to see - better bracing in the cages and better safety tech. All tracks have gotten very laxed on safety over the last 10 or so years. And its not just the cars that need to be look at better, It's the drivers fire suits, head & neck restraints, gloves & helmets. If the tracks don't start looking at some of the un-safe stuff there allowing - then I believe the state will. I really don't think we want that to happen.

At Woodhull Raceway last year, a Crates Sportsman was driving through the pits after a race, and a fuel line came loose. The drivers hands were burnt because he wasn't  wearing gloves. I can't believe the number of drivers I see out there that don't wear gloves while they are racing. I have only been to one track where they checked for gloves. The line up official at Paradise Speedway walked down the middle of line up before heats and features, and all the drivers had to hold up their hands to show they were wearing gloves. Keeping an eye on safety isn't terribly time consuming, but it can help prevent tragedy.
Driver #11 FWD for DelGrosso Brothers Racing
2014 & 2015 Woodhull Raceway FWD Track Champion
2018 The Hill Speedway FWD Track Champion

gregsy32

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
The super late models have always amazed me by how few drivers wear gloves.  No window nets in a LM either.
Greg Crooker

Easily entertained.

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
thanks walt....i guess that leaves just a handfull of tracks that need to think about changing the rule....and i totally agree on the saftey rules...need to be more frequent checks on these items....but this thread is primarily about the shock issue....we can touch on some other items when i think we either make progress on this or we dont......and no I88,penncan,5 mile have the same rule for shocks

car40

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Don't mess around with the shock rule. Rule changes mean more money out of pocket.
Jeff Smith

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
car40 i just need to explain your reasoning for that answer....i mean if the guys are already replacing the stock mount shocks a few times a year then how will it cost more....and besides nobody is sayin that you have to change...they can continue to run what the rule is already

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
now if a team just uses a standard off the shelf shock....the bilsteins and the afco shocks are around 80 a piece....if you were to go to a outside the frame shock mount you can choose from approx 5 diff shock companies......allowing more flexible prices,shock rates,and most important more shock travel...i mean if its not important just take your 400hp street stock on a 8inch tire and weld the front end solid with some blocks or just take the shocks off....take that car to the end of the straight away and let me know what the outcome is when you try to turn it into that corner. besides you can buy a pro or carrera to name just 2...for 65 to 85 bucks and for the budget minded team,if they wanted to try this out,that shock could possibly last them 2 seasons...

Burgess Family Racing

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Burgess Family Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
AND you can also buy a seven shock "Street Stock package" that will run you upwards of a thousand dollars...  Keep opening up the rules (and the wallets) boys and just finish the class off...
Todd Burgess
Burgess Family Racing
"Fabricating Steel and Stories Since 1993"

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
or keep making them go faster than they are meant to go and start puttin the boys in caskets huh? we have way surpassed the rules being outta hand so anyone that is in fairytale land thinking that way should just be out of this division and help the thunderdog type of division be the new pure stock division...lastly someone explain to me why we cannot run the shock im talking about but be able to run pure floater rears? we can bash this post all day and still have the same outcome at the end of the day. i guess it just dumbfounds me to as why we still run these garbage shocks but we ran rampid with the rest of the car lol....

Burgess Family Racing

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Burgess Family Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
"lastly someone explain to me why we cannot run the shock im talking about but be able to run pure floater rears?"

I couldn't agree with you more...  Of course, I fought that rule change too...  ;)  The sad part is, really, that I've argued against just about every rule change that wasn't a parts availability issue and yet each and every driver who lobbied for wider tires, bigger carbs and cams and all that stuff is no longer in the class...  They're gone and done what they should have done before they spent dumb money on a Street Stock- they've moved up...  It just leaves guys like me & Car40 to figure out how to afford an increasingly unaffordable class of racing...  Give me narrow tires, a cam lift limit and a restrictor plate and let's see who can DRIVE...  ;)
Todd Burgess
Burgess Family Racing
"Fabricating Steel and Stories Since 1993"

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
where do you and car 40
race at?

billyboy88

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
they race at the best dern race track in the lower metropolis of WOODHULL NY.

1adriver

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
whats the price tag on the rebuildable afco stock mount shocks?

mkmmotorsports

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
afco rebuildable stock front mount shocks...210 to 250$ each