Author Topic: Very sad news....Maynard Troyer passes  (Read 5467 times)

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
Very sad news....Maynard Troyer passes
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »
Reports from the "speed51" website, as well as FaceBook, are that modified racing legend, Maynard Troyer, has passed away, at the age of 79.

If this is indeed true, sincerest condolences to his family.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:41:43 PM by Admin »

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
Re: Very sad news....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
Sad for sure to come home tonight to this news.  Maynard was the man , a dominate force in his own right. Brought Modifieds from the junkyard days
to what we have today an innovator and car builder few could rival.  God speed sir and thank you for the contribution you made on this sport we so love.
Thoughts are with KT and the other members of the family.

"do I look nervous?" (no) " There's your answer."

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:32 PM »
Agree.  Condolences to KT and his whole family.  Some of my first memories were watching Maynard Troyer dust everybody at Spencer Speedway.  I was a kid in the very early 70's and the one thing I remember was that he could drive his car way deeper into the Spencer Speedway 3rd turn than anybody else.  I was too young to know why and a lot of the sad sacks said that he had big money from Dave Nagle.  Well they were wrong.  He was a GREAT driver and fabricator.  Had he not come along I can't imagine how many guys may have gotten killed trying to make old junk frames and cages work. 

If you had to rank a top 5 in modifieds I would put him there with Richie Evans, Jerry Cook, Dutch, and a very small handful of others.  If he wanted to go NASCAR modified racing, he would be in the NASCAR hall of fame right now and frankly, for all he has done as a fabricator he should be in the NASCAR hall.   Thanks for the memories. RIP Maynard. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:40:19 PM by Goggles Pisano »
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Sunny

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:34 PM »
My condolences to you and your family, Kenny.

24KC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
Very sad news.  I wish all of my condolences to KT and family.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
KT:  You and your family have my sincere sympathy...
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

oldflagger81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:58:52 AM »
My condolences to KT & his family, friends & former Crew members.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
Condolences to KT and the whole Troyer family. Maynard was the legend that drew me and many of us to the sport.

RIP Champ...

Photo from Ed Flemke collection.
http://www.edflemke.com/category/other/maynard-troyer/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
I found this on youtube...Maynard was kicking butt in the 1974 Permatex 200 at Daytona before a valve let the #6 down. Great footage to remember him by...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fod9-vLT3k

Don96

• View Profile
Re: Very sad news....Maynard Troyer passes
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »
Sorry for your loss KT and family. Racing has lost another one of the best.......

donhubbard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »
So sorry to hear this.  Maynard  was a true gentleman of the sport on and off the racetrack.  He was always receptive to an to an interview when I talked about him in my columns.  He was also an innovator with his Troyer Engineering. RIP my friend. Prayers to the family.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Champion
    • View Profile
REMEMBERING MAYNARD TROYER AT SPENCER
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:05 PM »
Our friends at Spencer Speedway sent this to us:

Maynard Troyer 1982  BEV&KEN DIPPEL PHOTOS
Maynard Troyer 1982  BEV&KEN DIPPEL PHOTOS

REMEMBERING  MAYNARD TROYER AT SPENCER

WILLIAMSON, NY........ On May 10, Spencer’s winngest modified driver, Maynard Troyer passed away following a long illness. He was 79 years old. Maynard may best be known nationally for his wild Grand National flip through the second turn at the Daytona International Speedway on lap 10 of the 500 mile race in 1971. He would run 14 Grand National races, with a fourth place finish being his best.  But locally he is best known for his Troyer dirt and asphalt modified chassis business and his racing record in the modifieds.

He first appeared on the racing scene at Spencer in the mid-60’s driving a full fender Street Stock. He won his first race at Spencer in 1965. The following season he took his full fender machine to 11 feature wins.

On July 2, 1969, he won his first modified feature at Spencer. From then until he retired from driving in 1982 he picked up a total of 57 feature wins at the flat half mile oval. He won these features racing against the likes of Geoff Bodine, Richie Evans, Jerry Cook, Jimmy Spencer, George Kent and host of other modified stars of the era.

He will be missed by many race teams, officials and fans at Spencer Speedway.

Maynard Troyer 1980  BEV&KEN DIPPEL PHOTOS
Maynard Troyer 1980  BEV&KEN DIPPEL PHOTOS

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »
Very sad news, he had helped us many times. My condolances to KT and family.

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
The NASCAR on Fox TV coverage of the Kansas Speedway paid homage to Maynard tonight...and rightly so!!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Chargincharlie

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
I think the best race I seen Maynard run was at Utica Rome it was Maynard, Richie,Geoff Bodine and Jerry Cook what an all out war on the track with Maynard winning. Our deepest sympathy to KT and your family.