Author Topic: brain tyler wins usac race at owesgo  (Read 10615 times)

justinbjohnson71

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • www,myspace.com/justinjohnson_9
brain tyler wins usac race at owesgo
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
 brain tyler wins  usac race at owesgo josh wise and jay darke i believe 
drive it like u stole it

Rocket88

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: brain tyler wins usac race at owesgo
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »
You mean BRIAN Tyler?
Support your local racer

justinbjohnson71

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • www,myspace.com/justinjohnson_9
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »
yea lol
drive it like u stole it

John_unaman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:59:32 AM »
My first time to see a USAC Silver Crown race and all I can say is WOW, the guy that hit the wall in the Ford powered machine owe's his life to the foam blocks, throttle stuck going into turn one, he never would have survived without the blocks, the car was junk   :o

Carol520

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
My first as well, and I agree on the WOW factor.  For me, watching Hines (the fastest car out there) come back through the pack was the best part.  Good to see Groundpounder, too, it's been a while.
Announcer at Chemung Speedrome

Spokes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
 USAC K & N SILVER CROWN CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES RACE RESULTS: August 6, 2009 – Oswego, New York – Oswego Speedway – Kasey Kahne “Steel Palace Classic”

QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Tracy Hines, 22, Stewart-17.905; 2. Brian Tyler, 21, Team Six-R-17.968; 3. Josh Wise, 199, Edwards/RE-18.053; 4. Shane Hmiel, 17, RW-18.058; 5. Jay Drake, 8, Rev 1-18.193; 6. A.J. Fike, 32, RFMS-18.212; 7. Kasey Kahne, 67, Zarounian-18.228; 8. Tyler Walker, 23, Racing Team-18.249; 9. Ryan Smith, 155, S & S-18.272; 10. Kody Swanson, 19, Team Six-R-18.272; 11. Mike Lichty, 94, Lichty-18.280; 12. Zach Daum, 50, Daum-18.288; 13. Bud Kaeding, 29, BK-18.332; 14. Cameron Dodson, 991, Edwards/RE-18.353; 15. Ryan Newman, 11, Bowman/Canine-18.368; 16. Eric Gordon, 2, Bowman/Canine-18.378; 17. Jerry Coons Jr., 27, RW-18.380; 18. Jacob Wilson, 07, WBR/Team 6R-18.384; 19. Levi Jones, 10, Stewart-18.493; 20. Bobby East, 6, Klatt-18.525; 21. Bobby Santos III, 98, Santos-18.536; 22. Russ Gamester, 51, Gamester-18.705; 23. Brad Armstrong, 08, Armstrong-18.774; 24. Davey Hamilton, 41, Paternoster-19.003; 25. Coleman Gullick, 114, Deuel-NT; 26. Dakoda Armstrong, 9, East-NT.

FEATURE: (100 laps) 1. Brian Tyler, 2. Josh Wise, 3. Jay Drake, 4. Kody Swanson, 5. A.J. Fike, 6. Ryan Smith, 7. Tyler Walker, 8. Tracy Hines, 9. Shane Hmiel, 10. Bud Kaeding, 11. Ryan Newman, 12. Cameron Dodson, 13. Jerry Coons Jr., 14. Jacob Wilson, 15. Levi Jones, 16. Eric Gordon, 17. Bobby Santos III, 18. Russ Gamester, 19. Bobby East, 20. Kasey Kahne, 21. Davey Hamilton, 22. Brad Armstrong, 23. Mike Lichty, 24. Zach Daum, 25. Coleman Gullick. NT

It was an interesting show. Many drivers had setup problems, Oswego is getting pretty rough for these light cars without radical offset motors. A supermodified weighs 1800 pounds and has the motor offset 18".  Considering these cars only weigh 1325 pounds and run 355 small blocks to be within .8 seconds of the supers is quite an accomplishment. Every caution I saw was due to handling or the car breaking due to the roughness of the track. On a smoother track they would have been even faster. Generally they have few cautions, frequently going green to checkers caution free. Even guys with experience at Oswego like Davy Hamilton, Bobby Santos and Lichty had trouble putting a good setup on their cars. The drive Tracy Hines made from the back of the pack was truly impressive and shows why he is Tony Stewart's driver and an old veteren of this series.  Cody Swanson and Jay Drake also moved up and were in contention. Bobbie East in the Beast house car was dragging the frame or suspension all night.  Car count was low, only 26. Don't get me wrong it was a good enough show but was nowheres near what these cars are capable of.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:47:07 AM by Spokes »

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
excellent show for the $$$ and a first time venture. What a crowd too-regulars were saying they hadn't seen that big a crowd there in years except for the Classic.
The old girl sure could use some paint and welding though and I forgot how claustrophobic the mezanine area is.
 Hoping Kasey Kahne falls in love with the place and buys it------just a dream
Just wish it was closer 317 kms (200 miles) meant a 4 hour trip and these old bones are getting too old for single day road trips-LOL
Mike Lindsay-Burlington Ontario
so far-Delaware 1, Jukasa 4, Sunset 2, Flamboro 7, Ohsweken 4, Merrittville 4, Ransomville 1, Genesee 1, Volusia Speedway Park 1

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 02:10:54 PM »
ps-only a couple of disappointments. The Oswego program being sold (and they sold a lot) was the regular program for tomorrow's show and had no USAC Silver Crown info. I guess they expected the promoter (Kahne?) to put something together instead. No USAC souvenirs!!!! There was a one off baseball style T shirt being sold at the track souvenir stand re the Steel Palace Classic but that was it.
Tracey Hines did have team t shirts for sale at his car post race.
so far-Delaware 1, Jukasa 4, Sunset 2, Flamboro 7, Ohsweken 4, Merrittville 4, Ransomville 1, Genesee 1, Volusia Speedway Park 1

modcrew18

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
  Was great to finally see these cars again. Kasey Kahne sure seemed to enjoy his laps in a super. Even the LTD supers put on a decent show. Glad Lichty is OK, haven't been that close to something like that since Roger Treichlers stuck throttle at Lancaster years ago. Great to see a fan turnout like that again at Oswego, took me back when it was like that every week. Thanks to Kasey Kahne and Ollies for making it happen.

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
Lichty finished third last night at the ISMA show at Delaware Ontario after that hard hit the night before in his Crown Car. Didn't get a chance to ask him post race re the status of the Beast Crown car because of spectator drag racing post race

JayFish

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »
Had not shot a race at Oswego in a couple of years and shoot mostly dirt tracks, this was a great atmosphere and a wonderful experience, The USAC folks, the Oswego Folks, everybody was Class A. Have a great day.

photos from the show:
http://luvracinphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/9188785_wJcjA#613262582_JX3nZ

Jay Fish
Best Regards,

Jay Fish
Race Pro Weekly - Doug's Dirt Diary
Dirt Modified Magazine - The Syracuse Post Standard
(315)481-4175 Mobile

canadianfan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
the only ones who didn't seem to like the show were some of the supermod purists
but they can't expect lap times like a super from a crown car with a small block and no aero bodywork. 17.905 seconds is still 126 mph average! Some on Pinners board said it was a freight train but you can't run a 100 lapper like a 45 lap Oswego feature. Usually the Crown cars stroke for 70, burn off the fuel, and then go for broke the last 30.
 For a first effort, it was excellent. Some of the USAC drivers said the track is bumpy and needs grinding in order for better outside passing

Spokes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »
canadianfan, I agree with you, it was a good show for a first time effort. The track is bumpy and could use a grinding or repaving. Silver crown races on asphalt are all about tire management and handling. Most teams were chasing the handling all night long. If they come back next year I'll bet they'll be even faster.

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
The race was great. Yes, it did lack a little in the passing dept. and if they couldn't get a handle on the track, they were all given the same surface to race on. It sure was fun watching them TRY to get a handle on it during practice as I was in the infield and watched from everywhere and they showed why they are great drivers.

Got to see Tyler Walker in action in the pits a few times and think a whole lot less of him unfortunately.
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

gomodsgo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
I must have NOT watched the same race.

It wasn't that great.   The leader was 3/4 of a track ahead at one point.    ONly passing was done by Hynes.     And even when Khane hit the inside wall and made it a green white checkered it wasn't that close of a finish.

Over heard another lady walking out say, and I quote, " I thought the mods were boring, THESE were MORE boring".

As far as the track goes.    Doubt that I will be back for anything there.     They wont let you bring in outside food (I had a .50 bag of baked doritos in my back pack and had to toss them), BUT, the kicker is, the concession lines were so long they didn't even fit under the stands.  People were just lined up like hurded cattle.

They wouldn't open the back grandstands so we were all packed into the front.   knee to back, elbow to elbow.  Looks great but if I want to sit like that I'll go ride the metro at 8am on a monday morning.   (on a side note, as the night carried on, the back stands opened and the spotters filed in.   I counted about 100 people over there, for 24 cars?)

LONG delay from the time they rolled the cars onto the track till they actually fired them and got them going.

Could NOT understand the announcer at all.

Thanks for nothing Oswego.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Life is GOOD*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~