Author Topic: Steel Palace ???  (Read 2577 times)

owego26

• View Profile
Steel Palace ???
« on: January 09, 2021, 03:41:30 AM »
 Well it has been a while since I have been to Oswego, so I need some help ...   Just reading my  AARN , had a story about their 2021 season, please tell me the difference in smallblock supers and  350 SUPERS ...    Just guessing, maybe  Chevy (GM ) only, guess there are other smallblocks  ...   Thanks ...

BOZO6106

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Palace ???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:19:45 AM »
The difference between small block supers and 350 supers is the chassis and motor.The 350 class uses a sealed crate engine while the small block supers run a built small block.The 350 class uses old outdated supermodified chassis while the small block are built chassis or a different design.I hope this will help you understand the difference.The 350 super class was started in New England at Star speedway in Epping,New Hampshire.The class is growing slowly at Oswego.

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »
For me, it's been QUITE A WHILE, since I've been to a supermodified show at Oswego, probably 35 years or so. Therefore, I've most definitely lost touch with the design/construction of supers. What would be the "break point" between "current" and "outdated" chassis?

owego26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 05:25:31 PM »
Thanks Bozo,  I am quite OLD SCHOOL, but I always considered a 350 as a "small block" , that is what confussed me, I never thought about the chassis  ETC.   always was a Joe Gosek Fan , last I knew he was still in it a little bit.   thanks again .

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 02:57:02 AM »
Other differences are the small block supers are based off an IMCA modified chassis, and the 350 supers run wings.

phredo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »
Let's be clear: Small Block Supers are not supermodifieds.  Never have been.  The name is marketing hype.  That's all.  They are a weekly class unique to Oswego.  On the other hand, from a fans' perspective, 350 Supermodifieds are supermodifeds but with smaller engines (and a few other differences).

350 Supers are more affordable and a class where an older supermodified chassis can be utilized.  Sort of similar to the relationship between Tour Modifieds and Sportsman/SK Modifieds.  On dirt, you have nearly the equivalent with Big Blocks, 358's, and Sportsman.
2021 Next: Bubba Raceway, Volusia Speedway, New Smyrna Speedway.