Author Topic: What Did You Think About the Daytona 500?  (Read 6411 times)

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
What Did You Think About the Daytona 500?
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
I did not watch but I have several observations so please allow me to opine.  How do the Thunderbirds/Blue Angles always show up at just the right time during the anthem?  Must have good watches.  It was pretty pathetic that Jr had to say that the event was sold out prior to giving the command to start your engines.  Lame.  Some of those guys drove like complete ***** early on in the race.  Stenhouse was probably the worst.  He must have blue balls after getting dumped by Danican't.  She still sucks. Adios.  Maybe they should consider dropping the stage racing on the super speedways to avoid the carnage.  I was amazed at how hard some of the hits the drivers took today.  Again, I did not watch but NASCAR should be given credit for making the racing way safer.    I didn't see the end but, how is it ok to just ram a guy out of the way at the end and take pride in the win?  There is no pride in that.  At the end of the day, Dillon is a way below average driver born with a silver spoon in his mouth.  His win hurt NASCAR.  I didn't see Almirola's interview after the race but he is a class act.  Finally I did not watch, but I cannot understand how Paul Menard is racing for the Wood Brothers and his family business is sponsoring Blaney.  What's up with that?   Maybe Rathole knows.  But I doubt it. He's kind of lost lately.  Finally, Paz is doing a great job moderating this website.   
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
Re: What Did You Think About the Daytona 500?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
Typical ramblings from Pissano.  The only thing lost is his mind.  Probably does have the ability to determine the firing order on a Briggs single cylinder lawnmower engine and he's an expert on an automobile race he didn't see.

Guess he missed the part where it's known as the Great American Race and Junior Nation is still around. I know why Paul Menard is driving for the Wood Brothers and his family sponsors Blaney, but I'll be darned if I'm going to reveal that here.

There was some great blocking in the race today until it didn't work out, but other than that, I thought it was a mediocre to lousy 500.

Only thing Pissano got right was that Paz is doing a great job of monitoring this site.

That's all I got....
"Today is yesterday's future"

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Regarding the flyover timing, I was fortunate to have participated in many pre-race shows at different tracks which featured flyovers...There was/is a coordinator on the ground who stays in radio contact with the pilots (or pilot);  the National Anthem has to be timed in such a way that the coordinator can communicate the approximate time remaining for the pilots to be able to calculate the time that is needed to get to "ground zero" by a certain time.  There were times where I saw the planes take an "extra lap" to get it right!  When it's a military band playing the Anthem, the length of their performance of the song is what one would expect:  PRECISION--when a live singer is involved, there is always a producer at the leading edge of the stage who uses hand signals to indicate that either to quicken the pace of the song--or extend the length to allow the flyover to "catch up"!  That's why sometimes you will hear "LAND OF THE FREE" verse change to either sound hurried or held for an abnormally long time for it to be just as close to perfect!  (I would bet the procedure is very similar in other major sporting events like the World Series and Super Bowl!)

Blaney drove for the Wood Brothers last year (which has an alliance with Penske).  Penske decided he like Blaney enough to have the young man drive in a third team car (#2 Keselowski, #12 Blaney and #22 Logano)  Menard apparently wore out his welcome at RCR but still has Daddy's sponsorship money, which apparently will also be associate sponsors for the most part. But it will also be the primary sponsor of the cars at several different events during the season--As usual, it all boils down to money!

Daytona and Talladega plate races are considered "throwaway" races...many believe that the "real season" doesn't actually start until the 2nd race on the schedule which will be at Atlanta next weekend!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:03:05 AM by raceannouncer »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

BigFeet13

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »
There was a race today?

raceannouncer

• Global Moderator
  • Racing Genius
  • I'd rather be a "has been" than a "never was"
    • View Profile
    • Raceannouncer BLOG
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
There was a race today?

More like a "wreckfest"...If you like demolition derbies at 200mph--you would have got your money's worth!!!
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government powerful enough to take away everything that you have."

Hoosierfan22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:19 AM »
Every race at Daytona was a wreckfest this year.  Starting with the Arca race last week. 

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
My $0.02 worth..........

Daytona and Talladega may have been interesting races in the past, when the drivers were actually on and off the gas, rather than simply "flat-footing" it around, drafting and blocking for position. Also, 500 miles, in the past, added the endurance of the cars, as a factor in the race, and since the cars were "more stock" than they are now, yes, I could understand the reason behind that distance. Today, the cars are much more robust, and FAR from stock.

Therefore, I personally think that the races should be cut back to 300 miles, and the banking at Daytona should be knocked down to something more like Atlanta. How to eliminate the "draft-fest", which, in turn, leads to the "wreck-fest", I don't have an answer. My opinion of the race, overall, was something less than great. Yeah, there was some good racing, here and there, but it was overshadowed by all the carnage.

94Reasons

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
The ending was not " Rubbing is Racing",  The ending was I'm going to dump the leader to win

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »
The ending was not " Rubbing is Racing",  The ending was I'm going to dump the leader to win
It stunk!!!

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
Dillon: "I did what I had to do at the end. I hate it for the #10 guys..."  blah, blah, blah.  Lots of blame to go around. 1) Earnhardt Sr. for his role in making this form of "driving" acceptable, 2) Richard Childress for caring more about wins than integrity...he condoned Sr. doing chit like this, and now he celebrates with his grandson and basically makes it sound like this was somehow a great win....it wasn't!, 3) Dillon, who wouldn't even have been a factor, if not for attrition, for his own actions with his front bumper.  He made it sound like he had momentum and could't slow, but I clearly saw something else. He got to within 3 ft. of the #10 and the gap stayed just that for a millisecond....before he rammed him once (to let him know he was there?), and then again, and on the 2nd hit just kept pushing 'til there was no way the #10 was not going to wreck. It was sickening! And finally, 4) NASCAR for allowing this behavior to continue w/o penalties time and time again.  Oh sometimes they slap someone with a fine or loss of points, but when was the last time someone got the "win" taken away and placed last for actions like that?  Oh, you know the answer to that...NEVER! What a load of unadulterated crap! 

lynchmobb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
agree with your entire post Shamrock! Can't wait to get back to our local tracks......

smallguy

• Veteran
  • Last of the Time Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
As long as we have belly-aching about 'blocking', we'll have sub-par product...I have frequently said that the 'newer' generation of racers lack the respect for each other (as well as the understanding that it's a PRIVILEGE, not a 'right' or 'entitlement' to compete on the biggest stages in our sport) that would bring us more give and less take.

We've also become hyper-critical, as everybody's an Internet jockey after the race.  Chances are we could have had an amazing race, with wild wrecks (that hurt nobody), 3 wide racing, and an epic photo finish...and somebody would find something wrong with it...it's how we are now.  Sad.

Not the worst 500 I've seen by a long shot...not the greatest either.  It just WAS.

Geez, if these cars were so hard to drive with the rear ends slammed down at Daytona, how are they going to be on the worn-out pavement at Atlanta?

BTW, I WILL NITPICK THIS:  Nice slap in the face to Brendan Gaughan (sp) and Justin Marks NOT being shown in the starting lineup package w/ Charlize Theron (who was plainly reading from a teleprompter or memorized a script).  You mean to tell me that in the 10 or so days of Speedweek you couldn't get these guys into the package?  Shameful...as was Charlize talking about the 'top ten' before ROW 10 was revealed...that's a gaffe that should have been caught in post production editing; it made her and FOX sound stupid as heck and was easily avoidable.

To those who are pouring the economy sized hate on Austin Dillon...if you were in his shoes, how can you say, having nanoseconds to react, that you would have behaved differently behind the wheel?  Maybe we should be talking about the class Almirola showed in his post race interview, or the genuine emotion and comments from Bubba Wallace?  Funny how nobody's talking about Hamlin driving Wallace to the wall at the finish (heard something about Hamlin getting a RF flat, was that before or after he turned into Wallace?)...but again, same logic applies to that as does to Dillon as I stated above.

All this griping about crappy coverage, crappy moves, crappy racing...some of it is valid, yes, but for the most part, we look about as obnoxious as Internet pro wrestling fans.
I'm making perfect sense, you're just having a hard time keeping up! ... Matt Smith (Doctor Who)

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »
What did I think about the Daytona 500?.....hmmm

I think you should support a short track near you........kt
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

kt

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »
One more thing:

If one "belly-aches" about a sub-par product, it is still a sub-par product....

If one is indifferent about a sub-par product, it is still a sub-par product....

If one praises a sub-par product, it is still a sub-par product....

...that is all
2020: New Smyrna (5)...Sebring...Penn Can...Mahoning Valley(2)...Lernerville...Lake Erie (4)...Chemung...Lancaster...

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
As long as we have belly-aching about 'blocking', we'll have sub-par product...I have frequently said that the 'newer' generation of racers lack the respect for each other (as well as the understanding that it's a PRIVILEGE, not a 'right' or 'entitlement' to compete on the biggest stages in our sport) that would bring us more give and less take.

We've also become hyper-critical, as everybody's an Internet jockey after the race.  Chances are we could have had an amazing race, with wild wrecks (that hurt nobody), 3 wide racing, and an epic photo finish...and somebody would find something wrong with it...it's how we are now.  Sad.

Not the worst 500 I've seen by a long shot...not the greatest either.  It just WAS.

Geez, if these cars were so hard to drive with the rear ends slammed down at Daytona, how are they going to be on the worn-out pavement at Atlanta?

BTW, I WILL NITPICK THIS:  Nice slap in the face to Brendan Gaughan (sp) and Justin Marks NOT being shown in the starting lineup package w/ Charlize Theron (who was plainly reading from a teleprompter or memorized a script).  You mean to tell me that in the 10 or so days of Speedweek you couldn't get these guys into the package?  Shameful...as was Charlize talking about the 'top ten' before ROW 10 was revealed...that's a gaffe that should have been caught in post production editing; it made her and FOX sound ***** as heck and was easily avoidable.

To those who are pouring the economy sized hate on Austin Dillon...if you were in his shoes, how can you say, having nanoseconds to react, that you would have behaved differently behind the wheel?  Maybe we should be talking about the class Almirola showed in his post race interview, or the genuine emotion and comments from Bubba Wallace?  Funny how nobody's talking about Hamlin driving Wallace to the wall at the finish (heard something about Hamlin getting a RF flat, was that before or after he turned into Wallace?)...but again, same logic applies to that as does to Dillon as I stated above.

All this griping about crappy coverage, crappy moves, crappy racing...some of it is valid, yes, but for the most part, we look about as obnoxious as Internet pro wrestling fans.

There's always one in every group.  Complaining just to complain about somebody complaining. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.