Author Topic: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York  (Read 559050 times)

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Racing History in the Southern Tier of New York
« Reply #630 on: July 13, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
Bob Frisbie (C. Green collection)
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #631 on: July 17, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Another article by Joe Amentler...

From the Elmira Star-Gazette  June 3, 1976

Track Talk
By Joe Amentler

The full drama and excitement of a long distance auto race is dependent on its completion, with
the variables of pre-race strategy, pit stops, changing track conditions, accidents and mechanical attrition
coming into play over the scheduled distance.
   Last weekend's rain-shortened major events were frustrating to most save the winners and
their fans.
   The Indy "225" spectacle was unable to fulfill its potential and fell short of the month long
practice and time trial buildup.  Ironically, the disappointment of 350,000 spectators at Indianapolis might
have been allayed somewhat by the presence of a driver who helped send 100,000-plus fans home
satisfied from the World 600 NASCAR Grand National event at Charlotte, N.C.
   Janet Gutherie was Indy's loss and Charlotte's gain. David Pearson's seven-second victory
over Richard Petty was almost overshadowed by Miss Gutherie's 14th place finish in the gruelling, 600-
mile contest-- her first ever stock car race.
   Charlotte also experienced the rain plague in Saturday's Patriot 300 modified event. Geoff
Bodine was possibly more victim than beneficiary of the elements in that race. Bodine was running a
strong second when rain brought out the caution flag as he pitted for fuel, dropping him to to third behind
teammate Ray Hendrick and leader Darrell Waltrip. Geoff was unable to regain second or challange
Waltrip under caution and the scheduled 200-lap race was ended on lap 132.

Bodine's pursuit of leader Maynard Troyer at the Oswego Speedway Port City 150 Sunday was
also halted by rain after 45 laps and he had to settle for second. Dean Hoag in sixth and Billy Griffin in
eighth may well have improved their positions had the race gone the distance.
   On Memorial Day, Bodine copped another runnerup finish behind Richie Evans who led all the
way in the 80-lap, Spring Sizzler race at Stafford Speedway. Hendrick was third giving the Armstrong No. 1
Racing Team three seconds and two thirds in the big money races. Not as good as winning but it pays for
the gas.
   Evan's Stafford win gave him three for the weekend. He scored at Spencer Speedway Friday
night and Shangri-La Saturday. George Kent was second at Spencer, wrecked at Owego and was forced
out with tranny trouble while running sixth at Oswego. The Kent brothers expect to have their new Pinto-
bodied modified ready for this weekend's racing.

Harry Benjamin's batting average was cut to .500 as the United Racing Club got in shows at
Fonda, N.Y., and Flemington, N.J.  Versatile Jimmy Winks of Cicero won at Fonda with Bill Schroth fourth
and Benjamin out of contention. Flemington modified champ Glen Fitzcharles took the New Jersey test
with Benjamin fifth and Schroth eighth.
   Ken Townsend towed his new Edmunds chassis sprinter to Selingsgrove, Pa., and
Hagerstown, Md., only to be rained out each time just before race time.
   Denny Shipman took his fourth street stock win at Chemung Speedrome's Friday night show.
In the torrid late model feature, Art Clark of West Seneca, N.Y., fought to his second win, equaling the total
of Gail Barber of Bliss, N.Y., and making the score, Visitors 4 - Locals 1. Elmira's Bob Frisbie has the other
victory.
   Sports car ace Fred Kepler of Elmira turned in a sparkling "rookie" performance, finishing third
and showing promise of contributing to the home teams cause. The 'Drome's new 80-20 payoff schedule
should give the drivers even more incentive to let it all hang out.
   This weekend let's try to fool Mother Nature. Think rain!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #632 on: July 17, 2012, 05:27:01 PM »
Some pictures to go along with this article.....
Art Clark with one of his beautiful rides. I got the chance to meet Mr. Clark at the last Cuba Lake reunion...super nice guy. He had brought along a "B" modified that was fully restored and in his words,"way nicer than it was when I was racing it'.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #633 on: July 17, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
A shot of Jimmy Winks...not in his famous #221 modifieds but in the Purdy Duece @ Oswego
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #634 on: July 17, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
And one for Dale Welty...I don't know...I think she's kinda cute.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »
One more... Harry Benjamin of Wysox, Pa.   URC champ in 1972 and 74.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

ole bones

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:04 PM »
awesome pic of Harry, I believe that is the Shaw sprinter, not a day goes by that I don't think of him, a true racer.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #637 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
I looked high and low for this picture...I'm standing with Bill Schroth at the Cuba Lake Reunion, admiring the Art Clark "B" mod...if you look close there is a trail of drool all the way around the car (picture from Ford Easton)
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

modcrew18

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »
  Oh how i miss the days when racers built their own cars. That car is awesome.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #639 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
Joe Amentler article...

From the Elmira Star-Gazette  June 17, 1976

Around the Twin Tiers Tracks
by Joe Amentler

George Kent of Horseheads, Mike Castertline of Waverly, Elmira's Fred Kepler and a former
Chemung resident were big winners last weekend.
   Kent copped a couple of victories at Shangri-La Saturday night, where he broke the Evans-
Seamon control; and at Fulton Raceway Sunday, his second of the season at that high banked, one-third
mile oval. Fulton's was a double feature show including the rained out main from the week previous.
Kent was third in that one behind- guess who?- Richie Evans and Sonny Seamon.
   Billy Griffin of Elmira also had a hand in stopping Sonny and Richie at Owego. After Kent took
the lead, Griffin settled into second and thwarted every effort by Seamon to get by. Evans, in fourth, made
several outside maneuvers on the tightly bunched trio but couldn't make the pass. It was a five car
blanket finish with Evans half a length behind Seamon on the outside and Dave Nichols on Sonney's
bumper in fifth.
   In the late model main, Mike Casterline made a bold inside move on the last lap, passing Dave
Machuga and Chet Bennrtt Jr. and capturing his third win in a row. Machuga was runner-up and Bennett
third. 

Fred Kepler's phenominal progress as a newcomer to late model sportsman racing was
enhanced at Chemung Speedrome Friday night. Kepler took his Ed Howe built Chevelle to his first ever
feature win. He'll score more.
   The street stock main was marred by the misconduct of one of the contestants. His
shenanigan's gained him a year's suspension. Lyle Williams earned his second street class win of the
season.
   The "Bellingham Blaze" (formerly the Chemung Comet) Geoff Bodine doubled his win total as
he guided his small-block modified to decisive victories at Connecticut's Stafford and Thompson
Speedway's. Bodine now has two wins at each oval as well as several place and show efforts.
   Regarding the Bellingham blaze tag, geoff has recently become a full-time resident of
Bellingham, Mass. I hope he is able to handle the cultural shock of moving from the deep Southern Tier
to Yankee country. He's certainly shown himself able to handle the competition. An article in the latest
Stock Car magazine about Geoff's car owner Dick Armstrong tells of Geoff's on and off track difficulties in
establishing himself in taht tough and talented circuit.
   Geoff is scheduled to make an appearence in the late model class at the Speedrome, June 25.
   Super sprint chauffeurs Harry Benjamin and Bill Schroth maintained their one-two standing in
United Racing Club points although neither was victorious last weekend. At Rolling Wheels Friday night,
Bobby Brooks led Bill Wentz and Benjamin to the checkers with Schroth sixth. Saturday at the Orange
County Speedway, modified hot shoes Wayne and Buzzie Reutimann finished win-place with Schroth in
show and Benjamin sidelined. The URC will be at the Jennerstown, Pa., Speedway this Saturday night.
   The Woodhull Raceway, a third-mile, clay oval 20 miles west of Corning, will be presenting a
100 lap- $1,000 to win modified race on Wednesday, June 23. This will be a qualifying race for the annual
Schaefer 100 at Syracuse and many of the East's top dirt modified talents are expected to appear.
   The NASCAR Grand National race at Riverside, Calif., was changed from a 500-miler to a 400-
kilometer contest. The 250 mile difference didn't deter David Pearson as the Grey Fox chalked up another
major win, his sixth this year. The "Good Old Boys" of NASCAR will be at the Daytona Speedway July for
the Firecracker 400.
   The USAC championship cars and stars will be at Pocono International Raceway June 27 for
the Schaefer 500, or whatever distance
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #640 on: July 23, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
One picture to go with this article...Bill Wentz in 1975 (photo from Selingsgrove board)
Somewhere I have an awesome photo of Mike Casterline...I'll post it when I dig it up.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

railbird steve

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 23, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
It would be neat to find the results of that 100 lapper at woohull in 76, I went to a big mid week show in 83 and one of the lane bros, (cal or mal ) started on the pole-- I bettcha mr colgrove  can anwser !!!!! 
grant miller

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #642 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
I couldn't find the picture I was looking for but....There is a neat picture Dale Welty posted on "Oldies but Goodies" of Casterline battling Secord @ Chemung and I found this on the HAMB.  Mike Casterline @ Trenton. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this one.
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #643 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
I was looking for one thing and found another... This web site is chuck full of everything Bodine. Among the things I found on it were: pictures of Geoff in his micro sprint @ Chemung in the mid fifties (that's when he was Jeffery by the way), pictures of the Bodine clan through their careers and the ONLY picture I've ever seen of Brett @ Chemung  (w/ the checkers I might add).
use this;    http://yahni.tripod.com/
if it doesn't work just type in "POPPY' "BODINE" you'll be golden....Enjoy!
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #644 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »
went to the Cuba Lake today for the old timers reunion...sat at a table w/ guys like Dick Hurd, Art Clark and Cal Lane. Life is Good!
took a couple of pics...not the best, but what the heck...
The keynote speaker was Bill Green from the International Motorsports Museum in Watkins....
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com