Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1827256 times)

Dirtmod8Mfan

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #1230 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
Waterloo regulars (I'm not sure if these are actually from Waterloo)
First pic is Larry Nye in the #150
On further inspection, this looks like it might of been taken at Mid-State...can anyone verify?

Looks like Midstate (Morris Fair Grounds) bleachers & grandstand to me.  I'm still amazed that nobody ever got seriously hurt (or worse) from flying debris while sitting in those bleachers.  The front wall is only about 3-4 feet high and the first row of bleachers is only 10-15 feet from the track. 
My "real" name's Ed George

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »
Would that 62 NY be Wes Moody? I remember him having a car with the door painted similarly and I think he was usually #62.

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »
I remember Wes driving the #63 - similar door paint design as the #62 shown.  I poked around and found this site featuring Wes' cars.

http://www.catamountstadium.com/wesmoody.htm

John Flock

tom35

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: December 16, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
I believe the 62 was Don Wyman !!
Don't let your mouth wright a check your a$$ can't cash !!!

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: December 16, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
I think Tom's right...Don Wayman in the 62.  Wes Moody was usually 63, as stated.  I'm pretty sure he never drove the 62 car.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1235 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
Just found this...
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

bcross

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: December 16, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »
The Trinkaus 62 is definitely not Lee Millington. Lee was a tall/skinny guy. Don Wayman sounds like a good bet. As a kid growing up at Fonda, I used to love watching Lee drive my dad/uncles 47. I think Lee also drove a number 108. He later drove Frank's 62, but had a terrible crash at Syracuse.

At first I thought that pic of the 62 was at Fonda, but having spent alot of time in the stands at Fonda, they did not have full seating down to the fence. There were long stairways upto the big old style fairgrounds covered grandstand. Does anyone else recognize the track in the pic?

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: December 17, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
Brent, Thanks for setting me straight. I know a lot of guys drove for Frank and Lee was the only one that came to mind that I didn't think I would recognize. I think at one time though, Fonda did have seats in front of the grandstands. I always thought it was weird as I just couldn't picture them being there. Gonna have to get my "Fonda" book out tonight and look through. This is by far, my favorite thread on RACENY. Thanks to everyone for the photos and knowledge.
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1238 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »
Isn't it funny how things kind of fall together.... I'm looking for some stuff on another site and i saw these two pics....
First one was labled Trinkaus...
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1239 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
The second one was labled Don Wayman
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: December 18, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Bakes,yea the picture of the 04 was owned by Wes German.I have the same picture in one of my old Gator year books.Before that in 1964 he had the 04 and circle 04 that raced at Shangri-La.Mike Zopp took the championship that year in the 04.Ed Prentice drove the circle 04,who was tradgicaly killed in Viet Nam.Joe Donahue also drove the 04 and circle 04 for Wes before Don.My cousins and me used to hang around the garage alot which was behind Baushs' Esso gas station on Rt. 11 in Hinmans Corner.Later on we started calling it Hinmans Creek as a joke because Castle Creek was just a little north.  The next thing you know it was in the Shangri-La programs put in there by my cousin Ed Doebler and Gary"AJ"George as "Hinmans Creek Bar found at most racetracks".A few years later when they started working on Jerry Hayes car that Bob Page owned they started calling his garage Hinmans Creek Engineering since his garage was on the otherside of the creek. When AJ lettered the 87 he actually put it on the car.

I will have my old programs and some pictures at Dougs Speed Shops Christmas party friday.
Ron Doebler

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: December 18, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »
Advertisement for "Hinman's Creek Bar" in the 1975 Shangri-la Speedway program.  To this day I have no idea who "Boris" was.  ???

112SMW

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 18, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
Larry Grover drove that that year for Art I do believe.

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1243 on: December 18, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
I found info on one  of  the pictures I was trying to get identified...the picture w/ the # 23 is on one of Mid-States pages for 5 Mile point...it is captioned 'Joe Donahue in the #23 Jimmy Jet' ..... Anyone have any info on the other three?
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

thedoebes

• Rookie
  • Flagging on the backstretch at FMP.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 19, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
Jay,Boris was Tom Fatuesky(spelling)he was from the Hinmans Creek neighborhood and hung out with us.I just seen him a couple of months ago,he had a stroke and walks with a cane.

When you see your parents again tell them I talked to my Aunt Betty yesterday and she's doing fine.She told me my cousin Jimmy just move down the street from me.Tell them that he had a stroke and has to use a cane.

I've been trying to get a hold of Eddie to see if he 's coming up from NC for the holidays.

Tell your parents Merry Christmas and happy New Year from me and the same to you.
Ron Doebler