Author Topic: oldies but goodies  (Read 1827241 times)

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: oldies but goodies
« Reply #1215 on: December 11, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
Here's another one from the Gator News. Dave Lycowski photo. One of my all time favorite cars, the former Gerald Chamberlain - Bullock Falcon #94 driven by Wally Burnett and Darrell Welty in the 98jr at Waterloo Speedway

vintage44

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 13, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
Rocket88/Jay Mooney - Can you fill me in on the #5 possibly being Don Yeingst? He raced a car out of my dad's junkyard in the 60s (Five Mile Point/Shangri-la, Langhorne, etc.) and then the #04 for Wes German (Broome Heating). I got involved in dating my eventual wife about 1967 and kind of lost track of his driving. We are still good friends but I was never aware of him driving a #5 for someone. As a footnote, I had his last car (blue '67 "Cuda #44) for several years before it left my control and last I knew was in the hands of a  guy who plans to restore it,

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 13, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »
Rocket88/Jay Mooney - Can you fill me in on the #5 possibly being Don Yeingst? He raced a car out of my dad's junkyard in the 60s (Five Mile Point/Shangri-la, Langhorne, etc.) and then the #04 for Wes German (Broome Heating). I got involved in dating my eventual wife about 1967 and kind of lost track of his driving. We are still good friends but I was never aware of him driving a #5 for someone. As a footnote, I had his last car (blue '67 "Cuda #44) for several years before it left my control and last I knew was in the hands of a  guy who plans to restore it,
The b&w photo below is Donnie Yeingst in the #5.  It's scanned from the 1975 Gater News Yearbook.  Pictures in this particular issue where from ’74 and ’75.  I was at Shangri-la every week in ’75 and have all the programs.  He’s not listed in the rosters that year so that’s why I’m thinking this pic is from ’74.

The color Fred Smith photo is of Donnie next to the #5 taken at Shangri-la.

I’ll ask my father to see if he knows more about that car, who owned it, where it came from. He helped Donnie from time to time. It almost looks like it could have originally been one of Dutch/Dean Hoag’s cars.

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:30 AM »
That car definately looks like one of hoags cars. I remember the rack of the body and the holes cut in the roof wrtap around when Dutch briefly returned to try his hand on dirt at Weedsport with what looked to be this very car. Also attached is a photo of Roy Schenks car that he had used the body from an old Hoag Car. I shot this at Waterloo around 1977.

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: December 14, 2010, 10:22:58 AM »

If the 5 is an ex-Hoag car, the timeline would probably be Hoag 7 (or 77) -> Butch Harris 3A -> 5 -> Schenks.

I remember one Shangri-La racing News that showed a pic of one of Don's cars completely wadded up from a wreck - any idea if that was your dad's car or the German 04?  Must have been '67 or '68.

I don't know that I've ever seen a last name spelled more ways than Don's. ;)

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »

I remember one Shangri-La racing News that showed a pic of one of Don's cars completely wadded up from a wreck - any idea if that was your dad's car or the German 04?  Must have been '67 or '68.

Is this the wreck you're thinking of?

vintage44

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
Bakes,
Yeah, don't know many guys who've had their last name massacred so much. The wreck looks to be Wes German's car #04. I know the #04s were white and one at least was a big fat-fendered coupe body (no fenders, tho'). It may even be one that ran at Langhorne that had to be renumbered to #40. I have a few pics of me standing next to it at age 17 and also of it on the trailer at our garage/home on the Sunday morning after it was t-boned on the backstretch by bennie stephens. I spoke to Bennie at the last race at Shangri-la and he remembered the wreck - said he was running with no brakes and could not swerve in time to miss Don. Note to self - get those old pics scanned to upload to this thread!

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1222 on: December 14, 2010, 04:11:01 PM »
Waterloo regulars (I'm not sure if these are actually from Waterloo)
First pic is Larry Nye in the #150
On further inspection, this looks like it might of been taken at Mid-State...can anyone verify?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:17:06 PM by blackjackracing »
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1223 on: December 14, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »
C. Kotary in the X60 (or is that 60X)...Cliff, right?
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1224 on: December 14, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
Sammy Reakes in the 111
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1225 on: December 14, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »
Johnny McArdel in the 11
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
« Reply #1226 on: December 14, 2010, 04:14:52 PM »
This was labled unknown...62ny
BOB JOHNSON
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

no74falcon

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 14, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
This was labled unknown...62ny
Frank Trinkhaus had some different drivers but not sure who this is... Lee Millington maybe?
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

Jay Mooney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Re: Don Yeingst in the #5 in 1974 (pictured below). My father thought it was Bucky Edwards’ car and Yeingst drove it for him once.  He wasn’t quite sure but he thought he remembered something like that taking place.

I don’t think Yeingst raced at all between ’75-’76.  However, in 1977 he showed up late in the year at Shangri-la with the #44 in the b&w pic below, here racing beside Richie Evans as they follow the #80 of Jerry Mathis.

The color picture is of the same car in what I would guess the last time both car and driver raced, Pocono 1977.

bakes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 15, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

Is this the wreck you're thinking of?
Yep, Jay, that's the one.   Amazed I remembered that pic.  Thanks