Author Topic: Racespeak - It Aint Regular English....  (Read 476 times)

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
Racespeak - It Aint Regular English....
« on: September 15, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
I was channel surfing and trying to tune into Cupcake Wars on the Food Network when I accidently got one of the motorcar racing channels and a crack France Cup pit reporters was doing a driver interview. I was in the mood for a good hard racin' interview.

The driver being interviewed was decked out in his driver suit with the names of his 137 sponsors, his hat pulled down to display his primary sponsor, a pair of designer sunglasses covered so much of his face that it was difficult to determine who was being interviewed.  Could have been Bruce Vilanch or Barry Manilow for all I know.  He was careful to make sure that he took a refreshing drink of his favorite beverage and that his watch was visible where his sleeve was pulled up. (It still puzzles me why a driver needs to wear a watch while driving a racecar?)

Fundamentally, the driver was being asked why, given he was part of a multi-car top level team with a ton of sponsors, his performance on track was in the toilet?

After taking time to mention his sponsors, giving a call out to his wife, kids, parents, grandparents, cousins, the girl at the coffee shop with the magnificent chest and all the great France Cup Fans, he needed to be reminded what the original question was.  After the pit reporter restated the question, the driver metaphorically took a turd, rolled it in glitter, added a heavy layer of sugar, put a final coat of wax on it and spoke about all the fantastic progress that he and team were making with their racing program.  (I love when they talk about their, "program.")

Then he paused (for effect) and said, "Our finishes don't reflect how really, really good this race team is."

"Our finishes don't reflect how really, really good this race team is?"  Huh?  I thought finishes were the measure in racing?

I thought, "This makes no sense?"   Then I had to slap myself as I realized that he was speaking "Racespeak." 

Racespeak is entirely different than normal speak.  I've come up with a definition of Racespeak:  It is a form of doublespeak.  Words are used to form a sentence which make absolutely no logical sense in the normal context of the English language, but when used in a racing sound bite, make perfect sense.

Anyone else have any examples of Racespeak?

That's all I got...

Ratman

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:28:57 PM by Ratzso »
"Today is yesterday's future"

Shamrock 3x

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Racespeak - It Aint Regular English....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
"I hate it that he spun.  I just wanted to rattle his cage, cuz he was holdin' me up, but I did what I had to do."

leadfoot4

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
"I hate it that he spun.  I just wanted to rattle his cage, cuz he was holdin' me up, but I did what I had to do."

Translation: I wasn't fast enough to cleanly pass the guy in front of me, so I shoved him out of the way....

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
1.  Never refer to the driver by name.  Only mention the car number.   "The 4 checked up and got into me"
2.  Never use the word "crash".   You can use "got into me" instead.
3.  Never say "slowed down".   Use "checked up" instead. 

Irv's Taking The Night Off.

Paul

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »
Interesting...not sure I have as much trouble with racespeak as I sometimes do with Ratzospeak...

Goggles Pisano

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
1.  Never refer to the driver by name.  Only mention the car number.   "The 4 checked up and got into me"
2.  Never use the word "crash".   You can use "got into me" instead.
3.  Never say "slowed down".   Use "checked up" instead.

Also #4.  Never ever use the word "those" in a sentence.  Use "them".  Them guys was real fast. 
Irv's Taking The Night Off.

uticamike

• Racing Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
My favo is areo loose. " He took the air off my spoiler"!!  GD can't we go back to racing 65 Galaxies?
Don't mess with the Geriatric Jackman