Author Topic: An IMCA type of modified class....  (Read 2237 times)

harris9cat

• Champion
  • Attaboyz: -9
    • View Profile
Re: An IMCA type of modified class....
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
QC is the way to go soft tire is the way to go.I'm not really sure what imca dose for the guys here but as I see it not much.we have a imca and a ump cars for next year the only reason for the ump car is tire and QC I already have the aluminum head motors I think it won't b long and u will se imca type cars on good tire and QC and sail panels not sure what track but someplace will do it JMO

Thank you for supporting RaceNewYork!

Groundpounder

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: -622
  • If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:23 PM »
Matt, If you are able to buzz your tires now, you have too much horsepower, correct? So you want a softer tire, which means it will hook up better? Then what? More horsepower will be wanted, engine cost goes up. More power to the wheels, faster speeds, tires will wear faster, increasing purchases... Cost goes up. Pretty soon, horsepower is too much, tires start buzzing again... It's a vicious circle. I think originally IMCA offered one tire, with one compound. Their idea was to keep the horsepower manageable to that tire, which kept engine costs down.  I don't know... I'm not ALWAYS right...  ::)

Allen is exactly right.  If you're spinning the tires, the IMCA philosophy is working just as intended. 
"Crate engines are to racing what Tofurkey is to Thanksgiving"
-Karl Fredrickson

WWRD?

MJRKat

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: -5
  • Gettin my Grafix on!
    • View Profile
    • RF Racing
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »
Matt, If you are able to buzz your tires now, you have too much horsepower, correct? So you want a softer tire, which means it will hook up better? Then what? More horsepower will be wanted, engine cost goes up. More power to the wheels, faster speeds, tires will wear faster, increasing purchases... Cost goes up. Pretty soon, horsepower is too much, tires start buzzing again... It's a vicious circle. I think originally IMCA offered one tire, with one compound. Their idea was to keep the horsepower manageable to that tire, which kept engine costs down.  I don't know... I'm not ALWAYS right...  ::)

Here is kind of what I was getting at..A softer tire is easier to hook up(most times), so if you aren't spinning as much, you aren't wearing as much. To give you an example(I know they have different compounds, but not sure exactly what they are running), the sportsman at 5 Mile, some of those guys are getting just as much, if not more laps out of their tires, the street stocks are doing the same with theirs, and I know the Street stock is the softer compound.

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, maybe we just need to go to a 2bll carb instead of a 4? Maybe spec heads isn't the way to go? If we were on better tracks(and by that, I mean softer, one that has more grip with out rocks, or what have you), then maybe our tires would last even longer? I know at I-88, I could get about a month, maybe a bit more out of my rear tires, at 5 Mile, during the summer months, we are lucky to get more than 2 weeks out of them, same goes for Street Stocks, I have also seen nights where Street Stocks have less wear on their tires than ours, even on nights I have been hooked pretty good.

I could be all wrong, just some things I have seen from my own experience, and some speculation as well.

QC is the way to go soft tire is the way to go.I'm not really sure what imca dose for the guys here but as I see it not much.we have a imca and a ump cars for next year the only reason for the ump car is tire and QC I already have the aluminum head motors I think it won't b long and u will se imca type cars on good tire and QC and sail panels not sure what track but someplace will do it JMO

I know IMCA did soften the tire a bit about 2010 a little, I bought tires that were like new, and they were hard as a rock that year, but were used, the new tires that I got(2 that year I think..lol), were a bit softer. I don't think you will ever see IMCA go to a softer tire, like an emod, or anything like that. I do think you will see the quick change come in to play with in the next couple of years though, like I said, with the crate, ya gotta have it, even for running the same track week in and week out.

Thanks for the input tho guys..Bringing ideas up, and such..

no74falcon

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
Not to sidetrack the thread, but back when Dad was running his Street Stock in the late 70's on asphalt, they had to run a street D.O.T. tire. I remember him buying a bunch of brand new B.F. Goodrich Belted T/A's, and giving them to a friend who's wife had a Big Block Chevelle, and a very heavy right foot. She would burn 2/3 of the tread off, then give them back to Dad for the race car.  ;D
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

MJRKat

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: -5
  • Gettin my Grafix on!
    • View Profile
    • RF Racing
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »
lol..That's a win, win right there!

imca77

• Veteran
  • Attaboyz: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
one thing to look at with a street stock is it weighs a lot more than an imca mod.,which would also help in getting some bite. I don't think the quick change is a bad idea,and you can find them at swap meets reasonable out of a pavement car, problem is right now you cant run a wide 5 hub. I don't think the tire change is the answer, as far as a 2 bbl, I know that carmen vona ran a 2 bbl with a lot of success.   

14Ward

• Veteran
  • Attaboyz: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »
Just a quick tidbit, I love the fact of the imca tire.  I puts us on level ground.  If any rule was to change I would hope the tire would stay the same.  There are reason lots of us run imca and that the affordability of it. 

uticamike

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:47 PM »
Not to sidetrack the thread, but back when Dad was running his Street Stock in the late 70's on asphalt, they had to run a street D.O.T. tire. I remember him buying a bunch of brand new B.F. Goodrich Belted T/A's, and giving them to a friend who's wife had a Big Block Chevelle, and a very heavy right foot. She would burn 2/3 of the tread off, then give them back to Dad for the race car.  ;D

True true.  I did the same when I crewed on the Billy Seamon 25 Street.  The owner had a couple of crew guys put on new BF's and "have at it". I'll bet

some of the back roads in Madison Co. still have some black down from my ElCamino SS.  Tire smoke and noise on someone eles dime......Was lovin' that.  ;D ;D
Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals
have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your
neighbors have too many kids.
Clint Eastwood

imca77

• Veteran
  • Attaboyz: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
hey mike,did you work with billy when he won at Oswego?

Willie41

• Veteran
  • Attaboyz: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:34 PM »
Hey Uticamike, was that you spinning your tires out in front of our house when I was a kid? lol

no74falcon

• Legend
  • Attaboyz: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:49 AM »
Just a quick tidbit, I love the fact of the imca tire.  I puts us on level ground.  If any rule was to change I would hope the tire would stay the same.  There are reason lots of us run imca and that the affordability of it.

THAT is what I wanted to hear from an IMCA guy!
Allen Clark
Erieville, N.Y.
In God We Trust

BMR69

• Racing Genius
  • Attaboyz: -99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
I'm with 14ward.  I have no issue with the current rules or tire.  Really puts the driver into the equation, and the setup guy.  I've seen a ton of really good IMCA races the last 2 years.... sometimes, yes, there are a lot of cautions.... but I've seen that in EVERY division from time to time.  Only change I would like to see is more checked, more often, and equal enforcement of penalties.  That last one isn't really much a problem (where tech is concerned), because not much gets checked (and that is my point).  This all falls on the tracks though, not IMCA.

As I said before, I honestly don't feel it's a lack of effort or intent on the part of the tracks or their personnel (95% of the time anyway, there are exceptions), but rather a matter of a lack of manpower.