Author Topic: R.I.P. Don Diffendorf  (Read 17587 times)

68mustangfb

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Don Diffendorf
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 08:18:17 PM »
RIP Diff, Thanks for the memories !! Now its time for the big race in the sky w/ the Pine, Richie, Charlie J, Don P, The traveling Man and a whole bunch of other Hero's..... 
Thought's and Prayers to his family at this sad time....... MR
Mods,  Pa. possie; 410 sprint
RACING !

oldguy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »
I feel so sad for the passing of Mr. Diffendorf.  His exploits on the track were indeed spectacular.  After stepping away from the wheel, Don always greeted his fans with a warm smile and a firm handshake.  I was there the night he was inducted into the We-Go Racing Fan Club Hall of Fame.  Don showed his talents as a "shoe", moving his way to the front.  He fought hard and he fought fair, entertaining all those many fans over the years.  Above all, Don was a family man.'

Our condolences go out to the Diffendorf family for their loss.  Another of my heroes has passed.  Thank you, Don.
John Flock

Sweetdreamsofracin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
I never knew him but have heard  couple stories, RIP Mr. Diffendorf, Family an friends will be in my prayers.
"If nothing is going right... GO LEFT! :)"

Claychamp123

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Condolences to the Diffendorf family. The Stars and Stripes S/360 coach was one of my all time favorite cars and turned me into a Diffendorf fan at a young age. Godspeed Diff.

DDT98

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »
just spoke with my dad, Bill Brainard, he shares his thoughts and prayers,says Don was a good man, ( they raced together back in the day ) on behalf of all of us, condolences and   ~God Speed Don ~

bmxgitch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
So sad to here about Don's passing ! Not many of the legends from Shangri-La left ! But what memories that Diff left all of us who were there during the 60's & 70's. When that 3rd heat came on the track it was the best racing ever ! Diff, Dutch, Hayes, Stroshal, Osgood and the list goes on & on. Thanks for the memories Don RIP..... Gary Gitchell

orange16

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Diffendorf family.  Diff was a racer's racer.  Asphalt, dirt, modified, supermod - he could do it all, and did it very, very well.  And a good guy too. We will miss him.

And Gary is right - there were few things better in racing than the third heat at the old Shangri-La.

imca_ne

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
A hero and a friend is gone. Thanks for the memories Don, some of my favorites were wathcing the classic battles between you in the S/360 and Dutch in the 7 at ShangriLa. The last time I saw Don was at Five Miles Old timers night a few years ago, who knew it would be the last time. Godspeed my friend and my condolences to your family.
Ed Billings

Tioga_LM26

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:19 AM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Diffendorf family.  We all have great memories of watching Don and his contemporaries battle at Shangrila.. Its because of people like Don that we got in to racing...

Schneider Motorsports

IrishJoeJr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:35 AM »
This is a sad day for me. I was very fortunate to grow up around the pioneers and legends of our sport. I have very fond memories of Diff and his brother Bill. I grew up with both families and my prayers go out to all of you.

R.I.P. Diffy

Joe Donahue Jr.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:41:14 AM by IrishJoeJr »

Openwheels

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
 :( Was lucky enough to be able to grow up watching such great drivers (and people) as Don D., he will truely
be missed...I still have his autograph from when I was a kid (and photos) and saw him at the final races of the original
Shangri-La (Tioga)...he was also always nice to see /beep/ wave to driving his large dump trucks daily on Rt. 17 (Binghamton area's)...condolences to all family and friends, he will never be forgotten...
Brad H.  :(
"Always Remember": A BAD day at the RACES is always better than a GOOD day at WORK!... :-)

"Racecar" spelled backwards IS "Racecar"....

MODiFried

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
never saw him race  :(  sadly & regretfully ~ but it was a Huge Honor for me to have met him... and one i will not soon forget
RIP Diff Condolences to Family & Friends

Ratzso

• Veteran
  • "My Life Coach traded me..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
Great racer who will be missed. 

He loved the fans and can recall that he always had time after the races at Shangri La to talk with people and sign autographs.

God Speed....
"Today is yesterday's future"

Jackman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
As a child in the bleachers, he was one of my heros. As a young adult, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to work with him as a crewman.  He was such a great person and awesome driver. He truely is an icon of the southern tier racing world. This is a very sad day for all of us who found him to be so very special !!  Gods speed  Don, you touched so many people in your lifetime.

drt7

• View Profile
    • Five Mile Point Speedway
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Don.
Don't believe everything you think.