Author Topic: Great modified driver Jackie Soper has passed  (Read 6569 times)

flatheadford

• View Profile
Great modified driver Jackie Soper has passed
« on: October 21, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »
   word has been recd.that great modified driver Jackie Soper has passed, Ford    

I have been advised that Jackie passed this past Sunday here in Florida at his home near Ocala.  Jackie had been in failing health for sometime and in an out of the hospital.  As Jackie shared with me many times over the last 8 years those years of smoking have made my life a living hell with lung and heart problems.  He requested upon his demise that I share his request to inform anyone that smokes to quit and to those that never have started not to.  There Jackie I have passed on your request.
       What a great driver Jackie was in the 48 car in 58 and then the 7car in 59 at many tracks in NY and PA.  Jackie out of Elmira trucked up to Lancaster Speedway on their opening race and showed many hot shoes of the time how it was done and held the track record for many years.  He won many track championships in his racing career not only in stock cars but sprints and big car too.  He attended all the Cuba Lake Raceway reunion/luncheons, except the one this past July, in Cuba NY and here in Florida.  One thing I will always remember about Jackie was his memory.  He was like an elephant and could remember every detail of every race he ever ran in.  He shared many stories with me and I will be sharing a number of them in the book I am writing on stock car racing in the 50s.  I will leave you with the pictures below that best depicts how Jackie would most like to be remembered by                                                                                             
                                                             Ford

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:11:35 PM by flatheadford »

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Great modified driver Jackie Soper has passed
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
Jackie  With the #7 @ Angelica in 1959 (Ford Easton Collection)
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com

blackjackracing

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • blackjack-johnson.com
Re: Great modified driver Jackie Soper has passed
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »
A common experience of Jackie being in the winners circle. (Ford Easton collection)
BOB JOHNSON
"Faster than a greased cheetah strapped to the front of a bullet train"
www.QUICKSKINZ.com